Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Unitedwires, a dwarven rebellion [SUCCESSION] we need overseers!  (Read 7010 times)

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unitedwires, a dwarven rebellion [SUCCESSION] we need overseers!
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2011, 10:59:50 pm »

6th Malachite

A black bear was seen roaming around.  Someone said it was eating some fish out of one of the nearby ponds.  We can't have that.

16th Malachite

More hungry mouths have arrived, nine of them to be exact.  A quarter of the last wave of migrants was drafted, let's hope this wave has as many stout lads ready to serve their fortress. 

17th Malachite

Two of the new arrivals have been added to our third squad The Walled Medicine.  I'm not sure why they've taken to calling themselves that since we have nothing in the way of medicine here.  Most of the soldiers, excepting the newest recruits, are fully kitted out in metal armor - mostly steel.

1st Galena

Construction has started on a second great tower.  Details to come.

8th Galena

Ah the miracle of child birth.

Complaints have been heard about the lack of a well.  Perhaps once everyone has a room I will find a way to get water all the way from the brook to the fortress and build a few wells.

14th Galena

A human caravan has come.  This reminds me that the elves left at some point.  I still have no idea where they were camped out, since we didn't need any wood armor I am pretty sure no harm was done.

15th Galena

The humans hadn't even pulled into the depot when a second caravan was seen on the horizon.  The dragonlings have come!  I'm uncertain how this will turn out and since I'd rather not have humans and dragonlings fighting over us I ordered the construction of a second trade depot.

The dragonlings are interesting creatures...I've sketched out some of them on this pad so you can see what they look like.

16th Galena

The race was on.. the dragonlings almost beat the humans to the depot.

17th Galena

Both merchants unloaded and are talking loudly to Nix our broker.  Trading with two sets of merchants should be interesting, perhaps we can play them off against each other (ooc: also interesting because I have no idea how the UI will work ).  We don't have a ton of trade fodder.  Some workshop optimization could probably make our craftsdwarves a lot more efficient.  I haven't looked carefully, but given how little we have I think the craftsdwarves are having to walk quite far to get stone or something.  Happyslap is a legendary stonecrafter, but he is in the military so I left the stone crafting duties to Zuntir as his sole task with several others having it as a secondary task.

Oh and in other news HappySlap loves his iron battle axe.  He hasn't actually killed anything with it.

24th Galena

Trade with who?

The dragonglings have a ton of wood, some nice bars, and cages with exotic animals include the reclusive honey badger and a giant desert scorpion.  If we could get a breeding pair and tame them our oppressors would feel the sting.  I mean a breeding pair of the scorpions though a breeding pair of honey badgers would also be awesome.  Nothing is better than a peanut butter and honey badger sandwich.  They also brought a barrel of magician bean oil... I have no idea what it is for but with a name like that I can't leave it behind.

25th Galena

Trade went very, very well.  We acquired the honey badger.  We acquired the magic bean oil.  And yes, we acquired the giant desert scorpion.  The dragonlings assure me the it is tame, but I'll believe that when I see it.  I believe we need a scorpion pit, a zoo, or some way to show off this proud beast and his giant pinchy appendages.

what can it possibly mean?!  I think he may have been bathing in the magician oil.

Autumn has come!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2011, 12:36:14 am »

Oh yeah, magician beans are a plant I borrowed from one of the modding threads.  The oil is pretty much identical to rock nut oil.  Other plants to watch out for include demonberries, fishcorns, dankroot bushes, and omniweed.  I don't remember whether or not I left fluffballs in, but if you see any, leave them alone.  They're unkillable, as they have no functional body parts that can be destroyed.  That thing with two races at one depot is odd, but it's cool that Toady even allowed for it.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2011, 03:55:49 pm »

4th Limestone

Unib Adavuz, the child possessed by magic bean oil claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop.  He grabbed limestone, pine logs, two ironwood logs, brown jasper and eleven yak calf bones.

More housing units have been constructed...

11th Limestone

Unib has finished.

Unib explained his work while standing in the new statue garden.  He stated, "The ring's imagery juxtaposes the goblin queen As Machinenotch during her coronation and the dwarf Tosid Nourishgears laboring during the settlement of Unitedwires.  It acknowledges our past and our present together.  While once we were ruled by goblins, this is no longer the case.  Death to the queen!  Death to all goblins!"  Thats one precocious kid.

9th Sandstone

A second new housing level is being constructed now and the statue garden is nearly complete.

Migrants!!  Everyone has a room now, but we have very few empty rooms.

16th Timber

Six civilizations are nearby...

Note the goblins are still in charge of our civilization The Contested Entrancing Roads.

26th Timber

The CEWS (cat early warning system) let us know about an incoming group of goblin bowmen.  It sounded a bit like a cat being skewered by an arrow.

All squads were sent to greet our visitors.  The masons were reinforcing part of the wall so several of them were outside.  I hoped the guys in steel would make it in time.

Sibrek Lisaterith, Wrestler was first on the scene.  He was one of the recruits from the most recent wave of settlers.  Poor decision making was his hallmark and he ran headlong into the bowgobs out ahead of his comrades.  Note that he was wearing nothing but troll fur and alpaca wool "armor" and as such the goblins made very short work of him.

Zasit, arguably our most fierce warrior dwarf, was close behind and fearlessly charged headlong into the group of goblins.

The goblins were no match for her as she blocked arrow after arrow and began slicing and dicing the goblins with her axe.  Hands, feet, kidneys, pancreases Zasit chopped every part of the goblins she could find.  After killing two goblins she took an arrow in the foot and immediately cut the foot off a goblin.  A foot for a foot or something like that I suppose. When Zasit finished a third the remaining goblins stopped shooting and started scurrying off.  At this point a few other dwarves made it onto the scene and gave chse while Zasit took her time dismembering an unconscious goblin.

Trading with our comrades the dwarves went well.  They reported that things are no better back home and increasingly there is talk that Unitedwires might really succeed and be able to take the fight back against the goblins some day.  If this last skirmish is any indication our days of being relatively unmolested may soon be over.

Winter is upon us...

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2011, 04:12:35 pm »

Remind me to give Zasit a room in my intended megaproject, if i have enough time.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »

15th Moonstone

...and claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop.  I guess he as a thing for puppies...

19th Moonstone

A well, made of lead has been finished.  The waterworks is still under construction but this is where it will be.  This picture shows the new sculpture garden as well.

25th Moonstone

The puppy bone harp is finished.  This references some event I've not heard about from our past.

Also... it is a sad day...

5th Opal

Amazingly Sibrek Lisaterith, the wrestler who charged the goblin bow squad, is somehow still alive.  He has now received eleven sutures on his right upper arm, left upper leg, right lower arm, right lower arm, living, left shoulder, left upper leg, left hand, lower spine, and left upper leg (again?).  Suffice to say he is still unconscious.

Despite his injuries he has somehow continued to be the best groomed dwarf in the entire fortress.

19th Opal

The waterworks for our well is nearing completion...Robocorn bravely volunteered to cut the last section of earth away. And the high tailed it out of there.

Note for a future overseer.  The food stores need expanding - the big stockpile under the dining hall is full.

Looky here...

In other news Sibrek is up and running, well limping, around again.  He has three splints and a dozen sutures and bandages.  Yeah, I don't understand it either.  He is complaining about being faint, but this might have something to do with the fact that there are splatters and pools of his blood all over the place.

ooc: close to finished, but not quite. I'll do the trading with the felisians if the goods get moved in time and then wrap it up tomorrow or later tonight.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »

Okay, well, either way i'm gonna have to DL it tomorrow.

Oh, and my turn might take several days, as my computer is ridiculously slow, and i don't have a ton of free time. Though who knows, i might get my year done quicker than i think.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2011, 09:16:30 pm »

It is encrusted with pitchblende.
Radioactive harp FTW!
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2011, 11:09:26 pm »

22nd Obsidian

Trading went well once again.  We obtained some metal bars, a few assorted pieces of armor and a ton of food and booze.  We also got a second cave crocodile, a hellcat and a leopard.  We have the makings of a fine zoo I think.

1st Granite, 554

Stocks at the end of 553.

Oh and for the record we still have around 1000 fish, but only 500 of them are raw :-)

Zasit always acts without considering alternatives. :)  I just noticed this which explains the charging into the entire bow squad.  Zasit is also incredibly quick to heal which explains how she was up and walking around before the doctors could even look at her despite the arrow in her foot.

For the next overseer.  I was managing all jobs through the work queue except for ore smelting and gem cutting/setting.  There are several smelters one level above the entrance level and two on the level with the dining hall.  I was checking bars trying to keep our supply of coke, fuel, not the white stuff, up as well as to continue smelting steel bars.  I was wrong before when I said that the military was well equipped.  We could actually use a lot more armor despite the military screen showing that most everyone is fully equipped - squad three in particular contains folks with mostly cloth and a few bits of leather.  There is a ton of coal, iron ores, and flux, limestone in our case so we can continue making steel.  if you have an eye for it the stockpiles could be slightly better arranged.  I mostly just left everything where it was but created a few new stockpiles I think our smelters spend a lot of time running around collecting their own ores and we could make things more efficient by having ores on hand.  I created stockpiles for lignite/bitumonous coal as well as one for ores of iron, but we might want one for gold/malachite and so on.

As I mentioned in an earlier report you'll probably want to allocate an additional food stockpile.

The folks in the military are not particularly happy.  I have their training set up so that not every squad member needs to be there, but if you are a whiz with such things you might be able to do better.  I think the third squad's requirement is set low (4/10 required) for a 9 man squad.

I didn't finish the south tower, or come up with a really good name for it.  The ulna tower just doesn't quite have the same ring as the Skull Gate...oh well.

Save

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5009

edit: added save link.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:18:23 pm by Pisano »

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2011, 09:26:02 am »

Alert!  I just discovered a catastrophic flaw I made in one of the mods I put in.  There is a type of lavish meal that I put in with a really long name, which starts with 'Lopado.'  If you see this anywhere, do not look at the description!  It will crash DF!  To fix this, go into data->save->[whichever region the save is in]->raw->item_gizo.txt, scroll to where it has [ITEM_FOOD_LONGNAME], and change the name to 'lopado.'
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2011, 12:48:37 pm »

Okay, downloading now. I'll just have to fix that problem, maybe change a couple of settings, then I'll start playing.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2011, 01:50:37 pm »

Journal of The Spirit of Power, immortal god-king of all, written in the divine language upon the walls of his tomb.

1st Granite, 554

I have arrived at Unitedwires, supposedly the future of all dwarven civilization. It may not be much now, but under my rule it shall flourish and become the greatest dwarven fortress in all the universe!!

...WHAT. YOU DARE GIVE ME, YOUR RULER, PEASANT QUARTERS!?!!?

Fine. Dig me new ones. Now. Oh look, we struck tetrahedrite while digging them. Nice. Move alo- WHA- a... thunderchu? what's a... No. I'm not sure i want to know. Just dig.

3rd granite, 554

Now they've struck gypsum and bituminous coal. I honestly don't care, GET BACK TO WORK.
At the behest of the last overseer, i have deigned to name the tower he built. I have named it, O Theós pırgos! BOW BEFORE MY ALMIGHTY NAMING ABILITES!

5th Granite, 554

Now they tell me a ranger or somesuch has succumbed to infection. I really don't care. I have ousted the fool currently in the mayoral position, and taken the title for myself. I have also ordered some furniture and the like to furnish my new quarters with.

20th Granite, 554

They have (FINALLY) finished digging my rooms, and are now in the process of smoothing them. The bare minimum of furnishings have been placed, but i intend to have rooms that are the envy of all beings everywhere by the time I'm done. But, for now, i believe it is time to ready my tomb.

ooc: does anyone have a good way to take screenshots?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2011, 02:03:35 pm »

What OS?  For Mac, use Shift+command+4, for windows, use Fn+Prt Sc, then paste into paint.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2011, 02:16:37 pm »

What OS?  For Mac, use Shift+command+4, for windows, use Fn+Prt Sc, then paste into paint. Use snipping tool.
Fixed that for you.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2011, 02:22:04 pm »

Okay. Now, onto the updates:

Journal of The Spirit of Power, immortal god-king of all, written in the divine language upon the walls of his tomb.

27th Granite

My project is coming along well. The first floor is mostly complete, but i swear time is going slower than it should...

ooc: not much is really happening, the project is proceeding alright, no sieges, food shortages, or anything, so i'll probably just play for a bit and update when something does happen.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2011, 03:40:49 pm »

6th Slate, 554

A miner who was working on the project, being a dwarf, and therefore stupid, made sure to dig in such a way as to cave the thing in on top of his head.

20th Slate, 554

An engraver has been taken by a fey mood. I fully expect some useless artifact hardly worth the term. In more interesting news, the project is still on schedule, and we are starting on the 3rd floor.

Migrants? Well. Put them to work on the project.

The engraver has claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop.

Hopefully it'll be worth something so i can sell it.

21st Slate, 554

And now he's building something.

that was... quick.

And yet, despite it's toy status, it's the most valuable artifact in the fortress. Go figure.

ooc: i gotta stop playing DF for a bit, i might get to play again later today. So, no more updates for now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8