Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MASSIVE SPOILERS  (Read 2231 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
MASSIVE SPOILERS
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:25:52 am »

So how do you deal with the clowns? I struck the circus for the first time yesterday, and my eleven dwarves were massacred.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MASSIVE SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:42:18 am »

Personally, I avoid cotton candy or just nibble on the edges, though that's probably not the answer you want.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:49:44 am »

So how do you deal with the clowns? I struck the circus for the first time yesterday, and my eleven dwarves were massacred.

The safest way to exploit a vein is to dig out around it, smooth the adamantine, and carve fortifications. If the area behind is more adamantine, then you're okay.

If it's the shaft leading down to Hell, then build a wall in front of it to prevent intangible demons from slipping through. If you created the breach by digging downward, the safest option is to have masonry enabled on your miner so that he/she would build a floor over it. It's best to wall off the vein while digging to insure that another dwarf doesn't take the job.

You could also have a furniture stockpile down there that only accepts grates or hatch covers; so long as your dwarf is fast enough, a hatch that is set tightly closed or grate will keep the demons out since building destroyers cannot damage buildings from under them.

Far as killing them goes, the safest way is with spike traps or cave-ins. They're immune to traps unless webbed.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:25 am »

The safest way to exploit a vein is to dig out around it, smooth the adamantine, and carve fortifications. If the area behind is more adamantine, then you're okay.

If it's the shaft leading down to Hell, then build a wall in front of it to prevent intangible demons from slipping through. If you created the breach by digging downward, the safest option is to have masonry enabled on your miner so that he/she would build a floor over it. It's best to wall off the vein while digging to insure that another dwarf doesn't take the job.

You could also have a furniture stockpile down there that only accepts grates or hatch covers; so long as your dwarf is fast enough, a hatch that is set tightly closed or grate will keep the demons out since building destroyers cannot damage buildings from under them.

Far as killing them goes, the safest way is with spike traps or cave-ins. They're immune to traps unless webbed.
This.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:41:27 pm »

Spot on. 
Do keep in mind that many players report very significant lag if you breach, then seal off the clowns, due to their [BUILDING_DESTROYER:2] tag causing them to continually try to path to all your buildings.  If you do contain them in some way, plan to end the situation one way or another quickly to avoid the constant lag you'll experience while they're alive and trapped. 

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:02:33 pm »

use dfreveal, designate all of the adamantine that it's safe to mine, turn off reveal, unpause?

(with some utility that makes it so you don't get designation cancellation and "LAWL HOT ROCK" spam of course)
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

jens03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »

About the shining floor in the cellar. Is it possible to build a drawbridge on it?

I think it would be neat to have a lever that opens and closes the gates of hell at my will.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 04:30:34 pm »

This.

What?  I'm ashamed of you, Necro910.  Where's your dwarven spirit?  Your beardedliness?  Your
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

(Yes, I know demons are immune to magma and stuff.  Nyah.)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 04:32:05 pm »

About the shining floor in the cellar. Is it possible to build a drawbridge on it?

I think it would be neat to have a lever that opens and closes the gates of hell at my will.

I don't see why it wouldn't be... well, the floor might be too big, but you can use more than one bridge.  Personally, I'd use retracting bridges, so it's easier to drop things in without flinging them first.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:10:11 pm »

This.

CUPCAKES?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »

This.

CUPCAKES?
U R DOING IT RONG  >:(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 11:01:59 pm »

Obsidian-casting's a good way to kill them in bulk - cave-ins can crash the game due to a bug involving fire demons losing their fire

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 11:24:26 pm »

I haven't ran across one in my recent forts, but I have built floors over the glowing floor segment of the demonic fortress before and not have anything happen to when I recover that upright conversation piece. So unless that's been changed lately, drawbridges or even a hatch should work just fine.

Demon Ted: FREEDOM! FREEEEEEE- wait. No. No. Nononononononono.
Demon Frank: FREE- What? What is it?
Demon Ted: It's, it's a SLATE HATCH!
Demon Frank: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- wait, is it locked?
Demon Ted: Yes! Jiggling the handle does nothing!
Demon Frank: -OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:45 pm »

I haven't ran across one in my recent forts, but I have built floors over the glowing floor segment of the demonic fortress before and not have anything happen to when I recover that upright conversation piece. So unless that's been changed lately, drawbridges or even a hatch should work just fine.

Except knowing Urist's Law (Which is just like Murphy's, except some things that can't go wrong still do), it goes more like this...

Demon Ted: Of course it's locked!  What kind of surface dweller would be smart enough to install a hatch and then stupid enough to not...
*hatch creaks open*
Demon Ted: ... Lock it.
Demon Frank & 5 more pages of demons: FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOM!
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 12:06:32 am »

Except knowing Urist's Law (Which is just like Murphy's, except some things that can't go wrong still do), it goes more like this...

Demon Ted: Of course it's locked!  What kind of surface dweller would be smart enough to install a hatch and then stupid enough to not...
*hatch creaks open*
Demon Ted: ... Lock it.
Demon Frank & 5 more pages of demons: FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOM!

This oh so many times.

Time to set the lever for the spike hallway with 10 masterwork steel spikes per trap on repeat.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.