Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I think I need to take a break because...  (Read 17612 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I need to take a break because...
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »

I guess I shouldn't mention that at one point I attempted to make a foragable plant, that when picked would immediately burst into flame.  Indistinguishable from every other common herb, except, it caused intense melting upon being plucked (and caught the map on fire).

I wants it.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 03:20:30 pm »

I attempted it in .18 and it was buggy, but I know a bit more now so I may retry this...  I've been thinking about this "end of the world" mod of mine, had the idea months ago but been mulling over the specifics.  Really wanna wait until the next release, for necromancers and edible syndromes and curses, because that opens up a lot.  The idea behind the mod is "The world ended 50 years ago, there are no more resources and scarcely any soil.  Wood is precious and food is impossible.  Now build a fort."

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 03:28:13 pm »

I have been thinking about a daycare/cotton candy machine (sacrificial altar) where you drop your kids off and they give you cotton candy.

Only once you start you can't stop. It will double the chance of getting strange moods, but half of the strange moods you receive results in dwarves going to the altar instead. If you deconstruct/block the altar effect remains so the dwarves go mad and you will have nothing to show for it.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »

You can't mod in moods as it stands.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 03:36:51 pm »

I attempted it in .18 and it was buggy, but I know a bit more now so I may retry this...  I've been thinking about this "end of the world" mod of mine, had the idea months ago but been mulling over the specifics.  Really wanna wait until the next release, for necromancers and edible syndromes and curses, because that opens up a lot.  The idea behind the mod is "The world ended 50 years ago, there are no more resources and scarcely any soil.  Wood is precious and food is impossible.  Now build a fort."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That scenario sounds absolutely delicious.  The logical extreme of self-imposed challenges and combatting overly plentiful resources.

I have been thinking about a daycare/cotton candy machine (sacrificial altar) where you drop your kids off and they give you cotton candy.

Only once you start you can't stop. It will double the chance of getting strange moods, but half of the strange moods you receive results in dwarves going to the altar instead. If you deconstruct/block the altar effect remains so the dwarves go mad and you will have nothing to show for it.

I like this idea for no other reason than the euphemism, "Oh, I'm just dropping the kids off at the vending machine to pick up some cotton candy."  And it's not even a poop joke!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2011, 03:49:21 pm »

I like this idea for no other reason than the euphemism, "Oh, I'm just dropping the kids off at the vending machine to pick up some cotton candy."  And it's not even a poop joke!

Quote from: Peter Griffin
Oh, I thought you wanted to kill the kids and sell their organs for beer money.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 03:54:51 pm »

Quote from: Peter Griffin
Oh, I thought you wanted to kill the kids and sell their organs for beer money.

"Welcome, welcome!  The fair folk are always a good sight here at AzmolCerol.  Now, down to trading.  How many barrels of Sunshine will you give for these ≡Prepared Dwarven Child Kidneys≡ ?"

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:20 pm »

Can you mod in madness?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 04:12:49 pm »

That scenario sounds absolutely delicious.  The logical extreme of self-imposed challenges and combatting overly plentiful resources.
Yeah, the idea is that "This isn't when the oil reserves have run dry.  This isn't when a religious event shakes the world.  This isn't when capitalism crumbles and Mad Max style anarchy rules.  This isn't even when an asteroid wipes out half the life on the planet.  This is 1,000,000 years after that when the atmosphere is thin and the sun is burning larger and hotter.  It's not the end of the civilized world, it's the end of the entire world."

Most of the creatures would be metal/magical, like golems, which could survive on significantly fewer resources, or hardened like an evolved rhino, or become poisonous/flammable/explosive as a defense mechanism.  Most of your armor will be cloth or leather, painstakingly picked out from scraps, but that's alright because only the biggest enemies can afford to use weapons, much less metal weapons!  Eons of atom smashing and poorly done melting of goblinite has reduce the world to useless slag.  Morality is out the window, bones are considered edible by most surviving species and blood is a frequent meal idea.  If it's usable, you'd better use it, or else someone will kill you and use it, and use you.

In a nutshell, Scarcity to the furthest extreme.

Can you mod in madness?
No.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 04:23:47 pm »

Yeah, the idea is that "This isn't when the oil reserves have run dry.  This isn't when a religious event shakes the world.  This isn't when capitalism crumbles and Mad Max style anarchy rules.  This isn't even when an asteroid wipes out half the life on the planet.  This is 1,000,000 years after that when the atmosphere is thin and the sun is burning larger and hotter.  It's not the end of the civilized world, it's the end of the entire world."

Most of the creatures would be metal/magical, like golems, which could survive on significantly fewer resources, or hardened like an evolved rhino, or become poisonous/flammable/explosive as a defense mechanism.  Most of your armor will be cloth or leather, painstakingly picked out from scraps, but that's alright because only the biggest enemies can afford to use weapons, much less metal weapons!  Eons of atom smashing and poorly done melting of goblinite has reduce the world to useless slag.  Morality is out the window, bones are considered edible by most surviving species and blood is a frequent meal idea.  If it's usable, you'd better use it, or else someone will kill you and use it, and use you.

In a nutshell, Scarcity to the furthest extreme.

Can you mod in madness?
No.

It's beautiful.  It's like Now and Then, Here and There, the videogame. 
Xen0n cancels Finish Post: Interrupted by Single Tear.

Can you mod in madness?

Spoiler: I am so, so sorry. (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 04:27:10 pm »

I think I saw an episode or something of that anime on scifi channel or something.  I think I caught the ending where something happens and a tidal wave washes over like the whole planet.  Or something.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 04:35:55 pm »

I think I saw an episode or something of that anime on scifi channel or something.  I think I caught the ending where something happens and a tidal wave washes over like the whole planet.  Or something.

Yeah that was the exception to the rule for scarcity in that series. 

EDIT:
Fixed timeframe.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:54:01 pm by Xen0n »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 04:41:31 pm »

Sounds fairly like my mod idea.  Dwarves will probably get modded to mature in 2-5 years so they can be drafted, which is important because I want to figure out how to kill the dwarf civ and have it as a pure "you are the last" scenario.  Childbirth is going to be your most valuable source of manpower.  Now to figure out how to kill the parent civ in worldgen...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 07:56:58 am »

With 2-5 year maturity, odds are a good war will quickly kill out all civs.

Spoiler: Portal2 Screenshot (click to show/hide)

Is it wrong I have an official Portal 2 poster which includes that (and some other P2 signs, such as Repulsion gel, Safety First and Know your Allergens) on my wall, sent by Valve? (not a self-printed one or anything)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 08:20:45 am »

Spoiler: Portal2 Screenshot (click to show/hide)

Is it wrong I have an official Portal 2 poster which includes that (and some other P2 signs, such as Repulsion gel, Safety First and Know your Allergens) on my wall, sent by Valve? (not a self-printed one or anything)

No, what's wrong is that you have not yet instructed me how I can acquire one myself.  ಠ_ಠ

With 2-5 year maturity, odds are a good war will quickly kill out all civs.

Which segues directly to...

Now to figure out how to kill the parent civ in worldgen...

Give dwarves a lifespan of 0 in worldgen, then just before embark set it back to normal? 
Kill 5,000,000 dwarves with one integer!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5