Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Last Brigade of Knifemurders (a little story for the end of my first fort)  (Read 4082 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Some of you have seen my fortress before when i've shared various megaprojects and things that have happened.  Now I'll share it's end with anyone wanting to see it....

Knifemurders has stood for 50 years now.  It's weathered tantrum spirals that took years to bury, sieges by elves of eagleback that killed dwarves by the dozen, and lost or wounded more to the vast mechanical projects of the fortress. Though it has a terrifying history of bloodshed, it has born marvels of engineering that may well be lost to the world with it's passing.  A cistern that provided water to the whole fortress and it's reactors.  A megarector that reached a stable 22k UristWatts.  Their crowning creation, though one of vengeance, was to seal the outer walls of a cavern.  It had supplied nothing but creatures that had ravaged citizens and in response, the dwarves had it completely filled with magma as a testament to their ingenuity and wrath.

What has finally made the killing blow is something completely unpredicted - extinction.  The Liason has not been seen in a decade and the civilization no longer has any notable dwarves.  All that remains of the dwarven race is the last forty-nine citizens of Knifemurders.  They know their end is nigh, but do they do not despair. 

Instead, they're training.  Ever able-bodied dwarf has taken up arms and is preparing for their final act in the name of the Fortress.  They will train and hone their skills and go straight to Hell instead of waiting.  A single mason has been spared from training and told to engrave everything he can find so that anyone who finds the fortress will know of their deeds.  There will be no peaceful end, only one in hell where they'll make their final home, one way or another....

(Yes, I'll add pics in a little bit when they venture forth into the HFS)

edit:  Here's the latest save for anyone wanting a look-see around the fort.  Keep in mind one of the recruits is about to go beserk.  The surrounding militia should get him though.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4957
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:16:48 am by ThatAussieGuy »

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile

Don't forget to upload your save once your finished. I'd love to check it out.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

HFS!  HFS!  HFS!

Good luck, and may it be an epic last stand, like Syrupleaf level last stand. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Already had one death, and probably the saddest - Udib Inkypanted, The Trussed Chaos of Machines, and the mightiest dwarf in the fortress bar-none, was possessed and attacked his squad.  No real harm was done, but the fort guard had his arms and legs broken before i could do anything.  He was left to die of dehydration on the barracks floor.  Fortunately, he's had a special tomb waiting for some time - an artifact coffin surrounded by a ring of adamantine floor and gold statues.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

That is...the opposite of epic.  I really hope this doesn't happen again, or else the demons won't have anyone to fight. 

Once again, good luck, and why did he go berserk immediately? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It wasn't full-on beserk, it was just a possessed tantrum.

And this isn't going to end well for any of them.  I had one final megaproject prepared for breaching hell for what was going to be a megaendeavour to civilize hell.  Unfortunately, that's pretty much impossible now.

The project itself was the Demon Gun - a pillar dropped down a multi-story tower with a sealed floorhatch over it.  The demons could enter the tower through hell, but all they could do is fill the "barrel".  As a final insult, and because it uses solid rock instead of pre-built walls, it plugs the base of the tower so that a new round can be obsidionized for a second shot.  It works, but it crashes the game for some reason (I heard something about fire being seperated from flame demons being a game-crasher?)

Instead, the militia will make their final stand in the top of the tower, a wide square room that was designed to let cave dust dissipate from the impact for framerate reasons. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:34:11 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As they're all still equipping their new adamantine gear, i thought I'd share Udib Inkypanted's kill list (This is actually from his spear Vuknodetost as he's dead, but it's about 99% of his kills)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, he was a truly magnificent dwarf.  He was the Militia Commander for most of his life too.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile

Now THAT is a dwarf worth making engraved slabs about.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The brigade has fallen and the demons are climbing up through the water channel above the Demon Gun.  Some have broken the magma chamber on the opposite side and are having a nice spa in it.  The fort's a goner now.  All that's left is to see the whole thing go tits-up.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile

13 FB, 1 Dragon, 1 Minotaur and a Mountain Titan...
All of them killed with a single iron spear...
Truly, he earned that Tomb like none before him

If your fort was a scorpion, Udib Inkypanted would be the Sting
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Brigade didn't have a hope - EVERY demon in the Gun came at once

Remaining Dwarves of Knifemurders:30.

They're flying up to the Cistern now from the outlet that was in the Demon Gun chamber.  I've ordered the lever pulled to open the floodgate there, just to spite them with the water pressure.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:30:32 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They've been milling about around the Demon Gun.  Might pull the lever just for the hell of it.  Looks like a few have found the way out of the magma chamber and the floodgate leading to the lower pumpstack.  Should see some real destructive !!Fun!! soon

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

They've been milling about around the Demon Gun.  Might pull the lever just for the hell of it.

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This story is now complete with that .gif.  Unless you have one of a pillar of rock falling vertically instead of rushing magma?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They've found the reactor and broken the connecting rod between the two wheelracks

This is why we cant have nice things, dammit.  Dwarves unleash demons and they come out to break your stuff. 
Pages: [1] 2 3