Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: minimod: stronger human weapons  (Read 985 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
minimod: stronger human weapons
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:31:28 am »

I got a little fed up of how easy the Humans are to beat in DF... They are as badly armored as Goblins and their weapons are as or nearly as junk. It doesnt take much modding to make them wear more armor, but their weapons still suck and I didnt want to give them steel. So I went with new weapons and removed the worst ones(scourge, whip and short sword).

Glaive: basicly a huge blade, extremely powerful slash but poor stabbing attack. Ineffective against armor but arena testing shows that when penetrating, wielded by a Human can cut a Dwarf in half. Uses pike skill.

Bardiche: massive spiked axe blade in the end of a pole. Hack has slightly less contact area but more penetration than glaive's, plus the stabbing attack is similar to long sword's (except size 1300 means the chance of penetration is considerably better). Uses axe skill.

Bill: one could call this a dedicated anti-Dwarf weapon. Very good stab, penetrates armor even better than the pike, with the hack attack about as good as a battle axe's, and slashing attack comparable to short sword or scimitar. Arena testing shows the stab of a bronze bill, when wielded by a human, has about 75% chance to penetrate steel armor. Uses pike skill.

The downside of all these weapons is that wielding them needs both hands, making the warrior more vulnerable, especially in many vs. many battles and if/once his or her weapon gets stuck in a target. However against superior Dwarven armor and training it is a good trade. For everyone who doesnt think the sieging Humans are annoying enough already.  :)