Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Games with Factions  (Read 17552 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: Games with Factions
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 09:44:25 am »

Any free games with factions to join?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 02:48:29 pm »

Face of Mankind

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:01 pm »

Gearhead 1 & 2 has joinable factions, and is free.

Link: http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

The story of Gearhead 2 tends to be influenced by which faction you join.  The story is heavily influenced by which faction the game randomly generates as the Enemy faction (which can be most of the factions).

Warning: It won't play on Windows 7 computers, as far as I can tell.  It's one of the few things I miss about my old computer.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 07:20:03 pm »

Gothic series have factions. In the third one you fight the other factions.

If you ever pack Gothic 3, get ALL the unofficial patches, or you'll be facing a world of bugs.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 07:29:47 pm »

Any fallout game, any elder scrolls game. Crusader Kings and Dominion could probably fit on "games with factions" altough you don't work for the factions, you ARE a faction. Also, most RTSs.

Vampire: The masquerade bloodlines is an excellent pick too, if you get all unofficial patches. The previous game, Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption is a pretty decent, if drastically different, game, as well. Altough I'm not really sure if there are joinable factions in it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:33:37 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 09:54:05 pm »

Oh, the Escape Velocity games have factions to join.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 07:01:48 am »

Vampire: The masquerade bloodlines is an excellent pick too, if you get all unofficial patches. The previous game, Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption is a pretty decent, if drastically different, game, as well. Altough I'm not really sure if there are joinable factions in it.
Bloodlines doesn't have any joinable factions. You just choose a clan at start (Malkavian is my favorite) and roll with it. It doesn't have any major impact on the story of the game. Insanity caused by being a Malkavian will result in funny dialogs though. I still rembember when my character started talking to a TV. Hilarious :D

Also at the end you can decide which faction you want to help. But until the end of the game you pretty much a freelancer. Also you can go neutral and try to destroy 'em all and give the finger to the Anarchs.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 10:53:24 am »

Wha? It changes the missions you can take and the ending, so I'm pretty sure its a decent example, especialy with the unoficial patch fixing up broken questlines.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

FlamePrince

• Bay Watcher
  • Cowed's Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 11:00:36 am »

Yeah, but I'm afraid we might have scared this new poster off.   :'(

Please come back, we want to help.
The newcomer is probably overwhelmed by how helpful this community is.

Oh, and try "Sid Meier's Pirates!" too!
This. This. This. This and uh... This.
Silence will fall.
It falls on the weak-minded
It fears the obnoxious.

I wear a fez, now. Fezzes are cool.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 04:17:37 pm »

Wha? It changes the missions you can take and the ending, so I'm pretty sure its a decent example, especialy with the unoficial patch fixing up broken questlines.
Yes but it only changed the ending. You can pretty much experience every faction by replaying the game from one or two missions earlier.

It's one hell of a game though. One of the best games I have ever played and I played a LOT of games. I was around 12 years old when I played it for the first time (+18? my ass) and I still rembember the scariest mission in that game. The mission where you break into an abandoned hotel to find a necklace (name of the mission:The Ghost Haunts at Midnight)

The ghost of that axe-wielding murderer scared the hell outta me... I should totally play it sometime

megaloptus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 04:31:43 pm »

Who can suggest any games or mods where you can pick which faction to join and you actually become a part of them, for example you are supplied with equipment and you look just like their grunts etc. etc.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »

Who can suggest any games or mods where you can pick which faction to join and you actually become a part of them, for example you are supplied with equipment and you look just like their grunts etc. etc.
Well, don't play "Sid Meier's Pirates!" then :D

Let's see. In Gothic 3 after you join a faction they gave you some help. You helped them to raid enemy faction's bases and other stuff like that. But I'll say it again, it is a bad game.

In Risen, like I mentioned, when you join a faction you are the lowest member of them. People won't show much respect for you. You follow the way which every new member follows. Nobody will just say "Hey, you are highly gifted. Let's make you the highest member of our guild!". You first do unimportant quests but as you get promoted you will be given more important tasks. They give you armor and weapons and getting better armor is usually tough. If you are a novice you pretty much wear what a novice wears until you become a high-ranked member. There are only two factions in this game but they are VERY different. Play the game twice and try both of them and you'll understand. For example, if you become a greedy bandit you live in a shithole. If you join the self-rightous Order you live in a fortress. Quests are very much different too.

So, I highly recommend Risen.

I don't rembember much games where the factions were highly important. I mean in games like Oblivion, Fallout you just join a faction, do every quest that game has for them and be done with that faction

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2011, 07:36:58 pm »

Gearhead 1 & 2 has joinable factions, and is free.

Link: http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

The story of Gearhead 2 tends to be influenced by which faction you join.  The story is heavily influenced by which faction the game randomly generates as the Enemy faction (which can be most of the factions).

Warning: It won't play on Windows 7 computers, as far as I can tell.  It's one of the few things I miss about my old computer.

I don't believe you.  Mostly because it runs fine on my Win7 box.  And my Linux box.  Most trouble I ever had with the thing was it occasionally segfaulting during character creation.  I forget which (or both) OS it did that on, though.

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2011, 08:43:31 pm »

It doesn't fit the criteria entirely, but "Depths of Peril" might interest you.

It's a hack and slash diablo clone, with it's greatest feature being covenants. You create a covenant, and you compete against the other covenants for control of Jorvik, a village.

There's a lot of interaction between the covenants and the player, as the covenants are run by NPCs who do all of the same things the player does (fight monsters, complete quests). You can adventure with the other convenants, form alliances and trade with them, or declare war and raid their bases.

It's an okay game on the whole. The graphics are ass, and the soundtrack is limited (I think there might only be one song in the entire game, I wasn't paying attention). Additionally, there are only four character classes. One of which, the mage (wizard?), is a tad gimped.

I personally love it, and play it almost entirely for the covenants.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 10:32:51 pm »

M&B has already been proposed but I think one particular mod (for M&B Warband, not the first one) could interest you. It's called Freelancer : http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,232.0.html
Not the most popular of all, but you basically play a soldier for a king or vassal of the game, and just fight for him and get promoted and all..
I haven't tried it yet tho, so I can't promise you it's bug free or anything!
Cya
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4