Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How long do you keep a fortress?  (Read 15056 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
How long do you keep a fortress?
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:57:02 pm »

In real days and in dorf years?  I usually stay with mine for several minutes if they're lame and/or science, but a good one I'll stick with for a month or more, just cultivating and watching, consisting of usually 3-4 decades depending on how frequent I play and if I'm distracted by other games.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: How long do you keep a fortress?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:13 am »

Until it dies or until I realized I dug myslef into a corner, as it were.  Or until I get bored and want to start over

No set time.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:57 am »

When my frame-rate crashes down due to me using a laptop with a duo-core.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:44 am »

I haven't played for a while. Usually I get bored and scrap the fortress after a couple years.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:06:20 am »

Not a problem with me. I just moved to the middle of nowhere and finally got started driving. Ha.
I can handle this for longer then most (Given that I keep modding small details.)

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:32 am »

Around 2-3 years. There's always something that I don't like about my current fortress (My fortress is too boring/too extreme, my last megaproject has completely screwed up beyond repair, gosh I should have trained more military, etc) then I move on and start again from scratch.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:24:11 am »

Forts will remain until death.  "Death" occurs when the current game state is bad enough that I don't care to fight it out.  Most of the time, this has been "overrun with goblins/everyone dying/mass burrow-drawbridge accident kills 50 in one stroke/all burn"

I'm taking my latest "standard gameplay" fortress into story-mode though.  I plan to breach HFS when the monarch arrives and see how well my dwarves (minus a "final seven" -- here's hoping none of them go insane from the mass death) can handle it. Goal: not well at all, but part of the ‼Fun‼ is seeing how the game writes the story...  Who knows, maybe a counter-bum-rush will defeat the clowns.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 12:25:30 am »

Forts will remain until death.  "Death" occurs when the current game state is bad enough that I don't care to fight it out.  Most of the time, this has been "overrun with goblins/everyone dying/mass burrow-drawbridge accident kills 50 in one stroke/all burn"

I'm taking my latest "standard gameplay" fortress into story-mode though.  I plan to breach HFS when the monarch arrives and see how well my dwarves (minus a "final seven" -- here's hoping none of them go insane from the mass death) can handle it. Goal: not well at all, but part of the ‼Fun‼ is seeing how the game writes the story...  Who knows, maybe a counter-bum-rush will defeat the clowns.
Ive held out for close to an hour from a squad of bad-asses.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:44 am »

Till the bitter end.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:33:44 am »

Danger room your monarch and send him in.

Now, how long are these forts?  "till death" is dramatic and all, but it's not a number.  Are you a noob dying in first summer, or is this a 200 year legacy fort?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:41:30 am »

I actually... don't know.  I stopped worldgen manually, and have forgotten the exact year of embark.  I guess I could look at engravings until I find a "founding of the fort" engraving, or scum to abandon and check legends.

Children have grown up, but no one has died of old age.  I'd estimate it to be about 20-25 years old: I don't think any children of the fort have adult children of their own.  And, with over 200 dwarves, still have 33-50 fps thanks probably to the diligent work of my butchers.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:49:19 am »

Till FPS death, or the next version, or until the whole thing devolves into a giant mess of trapped animals.

Trapping wildlife is BAD for your FPS, and my PC is over ten years old now.  Usually I get bogged down before year four with an FPS of 10-20, tops.

With Bootboat I've instituted a mass culling/rendering operation, most of the dorfs are hauling, I'm shipping out as much crap as the merchants will take, and I turned off weather and temperature and invasions.  Switched to 3x3 embarks ages ago, which helps, up to a point.

So it's hovering at about 40ish FPS, and the construction is going well.  (Can you delete unwanted stone/corpses crud/with DF Hack?)

I don't intend to abandon this fort unless it utterly collapses into untenable depths of FPS.

I've been trying to make this fort design work for over a dozen games, and I want to see if it does.  Fractal bedrooms, radial canton designs, elaborate burrows to be implemented...  I haven't had more than 40-odd dorfs in a fort since I switched to playing on this machine, but darn-tootin' I am going to try for becoming the mountainhome this time.

Worst comes to worst, I will set it aside and try a no-migrant survival fort until I can afford a new PC.

ETA: Months, IRL time, generally speaking.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:56:22 am by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:53:09 am »

(Can you delete unwanted stone/corpses crud/with DF Hack?)

I don't know the right answer to this question, but is anything stopping you from using a quantum stockpile to atomsmash undesired junk?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:56:27 am »

I don't know the right answer to this question, but is anything stopping you from using a quantum stockpile to atomsmash undesired junk?

IIRC, it doesn't actually get rid of the objects, it just removes them from sight, it doesn't solve your FPS problem. I may be wrong on that point, though.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 01:01:25 am »

Nothing, technically, but I'm pretty lousy at the complex mechanics aspect of the game...  you can rig one of those up with a raising drawbridge and lever, though, right?

IIRC, it doesn't actually get rid of the objects, it just removes them from sight, it doesn't solve your FPS problem. I may be wrong on that point, though.

Well, I know hiding things makes for easier planning, but I thought you could atom-smash objects out of existence?  Dead units don't go away, but you can crush the actual corpses out of the game...?

Mostly I've been trading shitloads of junk to every caravan and letting them take the 2-4k profit...  I don't need those damn phyllite crafts and the Bonobo fat, bonobo fat, bonobo fat, and bonobo fat roasts [4].
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:03:07 am by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: [1] 2 3 4