Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lockup while building wells. Twice now  (Read 1220 times)

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lockup while building wells. Twice now
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »

I have locked up twice while building wells. On different computers, with fresh installs. The only common variables are that a job to build a well had just been accepted, copper chain and wood bucket, and merchants were on the map.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Lockup while building wells. Twice now
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »

Which version are you using?  Because there was a well bug that Toady fixed in the patch.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:33:00 am »

The new version still has this problem. I have tried a number of ways to build a well and have never succeeded.

Could someone please say how they manage it? Lack of a well is making all my dwarves sad.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »

You might try starting a new fortress; as I understand it, certain bugfixes don't come into play until you've started over.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

UltimaGecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 02:15:00 am »

I can confirm that wells lock-up the game, even in the patched version.

If it was fixed, the one excuse there might be is that my well did not yet have water underneath the hole (the channel opened to a white sand floor below; it has another level or two until it will hit water, and I haven't dug those out yet).

[edit]
I just replayed it from my last save, and if there's water below the well's position it seems to work fine.

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: UltimaGecko ]