Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: The changes that will break you  (Read 19420 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: The changes that will break you
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2011, 04:01:49 pm »

Necro910 has prohibited the export of magma.

Overseer Necro910 has mandated the export of magma.  To everywhere.

Fix'd that for you.
Indeed.

Necro910 has also mandated -Makbeth Tallow Roasts- for committing such an error.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2011, 11:59:54 am »

The changes that will break you

Lack of improving the UI and added complexity will probably kill my forts, because if this game gets even more unwieldy and complex at the same time, I foresee myself playing it a lot less.

Other than that, I expect tunneling units being the biggest threat to my fortresses, as I strive for self-sufficiency and independence so the fort can simply be shut off from the outside if need be. I don't rely on trade, bridges, metals, etc as much as good fortress design. A good fort can go into shutdown mode indefinitely, even if part of it was invaded beforehand.

I´m not worried about changes in trading, food production or monsters that make the game harder, I´m worried that the game will not play at all because there are too many features.

Yes, that, basically. The UI is already craptastic and it needs more (and more elegant) automation/macro features to cope with the amount of details you don't always want to have to micromanage, each time, 10 times for every dwarf, for each of 200 dwarves.

It's not that it doesn't need more features, it's that it needs to provide simpler and easier ways of dealing with the slew of features it already has. As good as DF is for some points, it fails hugely in this one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:11:50 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2011, 02:18:04 pm »

I'm entirely looking forward to edible syndromes!  One of my first projects will be to make a sort of potion that causes the creature to become super-powered, but to slowly lose their sanity.  The praised outcasts, beloved for their defense of the fort and terrifying for their abuse on civilians, they are both hated and essential.

Ahhh, the truly dwarvish tradition of berserkerdom. With all that froth around in the mouth beard. This is a great idea. Goes well with axes, I'd say. Comes down from deep below and manifests as a trail of goo. Calls for a new profession: Spin-Doctor.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]