Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thinking about buying a laptop (I need help)  (Read 3276 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about buying a laptop (I need help)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 06:14:04 pm »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215196

has a i7 which is quad-core and L3 cache which will better than the AMDs for DF. Has QuickSync which to this day still kills any graphics card for video editing. $650.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 07:32:36 pm »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215196

has a i7 which is quad-core and L3 cache which will better than the AMDs for DF. Has QuickSync which to this day still kills any graphics card for video editing. $650.
This one looks promising.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 10:55:54 pm »

Quick question, though. What exactly are you planning to use it for?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 12:10:44 am »

Quick question, though. What exactly are you planning to use it for?
Note-taking, video playback, Skyping with my wife (she's out on residency right now), and *very* light video gaming (nothing made in the last 10 years). The only real reason I would prefer multi-core and decent ram (64-bit Windows) is the massive amount of graphical data I have running at any one time. I'm in a pretty statistics-heavy degree, and I also have somewhere between 2 to 10 programs running at once. I could probably trim a couple off the top, but most are pretty necessary.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 12:32:28 am »

You'd be surprised what you can run gaming-wise on just Intel HD graphics, an i3, and 4gigs of ram (and Win7 x64, of course). Nothing impressive (almost always low/lowmedium graphics for anything 3d and recent), or thats come out this or last year as a AAA title (indie games vary), but going all the way back ten years is a rather bad estimate, unless you're using a crappy integrated graphics.
Whether or not the game is optimized decently or not also is an important factor (ex. Magicka refuses to even startup on here, while TF2 works fine, Starfarer works great as long as it isn't a bajillion ships onscreen at once, Fallen Earth more-or-less works besides the current too many playeers in the starter areas problem, DDO looks quite decent on DX9, semi-low graphics mode, Sword of the Stars works great on the strategic map, only slightly slowed down on the combat map, a smallish fort in DF still runs at 500 FPS until either the fort or the population starts going uphill quickly, roguelikes of all kinds run as well as you'd expect, etc.)

Heck, I could run the Shogun 2 demo on this, though notably slower than I'd have liked and not at all as nice as the screenshots. Just takes some time, graphics setting restarts (start at either medium or low defaults, remove/minimize shadows, tinker a bit with the rest, and sometimes slightly less than full fullscreen). Need to not have much open at the same time as it besides Firefox & Steam though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:42:50 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 [2]