Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 61016 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 03:41:56 pm »

Christ - I posted it <10 mins ago, and this response... To MY thread?

I think it's time for me to retire, I can't beat this sort of publicity ever again.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »

I realize that they can only be cautiously optimistic, but the way this was worded made me think that they were saying something like "Oh no, suggesting anything about how our basic assumptions might be wrong goes against the HOLY WRIT OF SCIENCE." I'm not saying they are saying that, but that's my mental image of how they were saying it.

Sorry, never mind me, I'm just amusing myself.

I'm just waiting for someone to seriously say that this finding "proves" that all of science is a lie.
Obviously this is god fucking with us all. Science is a lie, cake is the truth.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »

Wait. But what will I do with my science-flavored cake recipe now!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:07 pm »

Tarran better get his shit together for this, or we're going straight into the sun.
Who says we're going straight into the sun? I, as earth, believe the opposite is true; The sun will go straight into us.

...Dammit, normally I wouldn't respond in a thread like this because I'm far from the most intelligent person and I don't read scientific stuff all that often... but you called my name, so I must respond. Now I'm gonna have this thread all up on my Unread Posts page. D:

Anyway, natural FTL things. Fun.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:29 pm »

Oh good now we can send a terminator back in time to kill Justin Bierber's mother before he is born...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 03:47:02 pm »

Now I'm gonna have this thread all up on my Unread Posts page. D:
And I will keep updating it forever so it shall NEVER DIE!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »

In other news, people who actually know something about quantum mechanics laugh at this "new" discovery.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:02 pm »

In other news, people who actually know something about quantum mechanics laugh at this "new" discovery.
Esplain?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:42 pm »

Shush Jay, it's not like there's been any developments in physics since Einstein made his theories.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 03:54:12 pm »

Somewhere, deep in the CERN laboratory, a scientist cries out:

"V-squared equals U-squared plus two AS? Damn it!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 03:55:21 pm »

As I understand it, the very nature of quantum mechanics keeps us from knowing very much about quantum mechanics at all.

Goddamn how I hate quantum mechanics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 03:57:03 pm »

As I understand it, the very nature of quantum mechanics keeps us from knowing very much about quantum mechanics at all.

Which means you actually love quantum mechanics?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »

Esplain?
To boil it down to an understandable, layman's terms-esque format, at the smallest level we can currently "see", matter doesn't have to exist in only one place at once.

It's impossibly more complicated than that, but I'd rather not get that far in depth.  I'm sure there's plenty of information on the 'webz.  Mind, there's a lot of debate, but it's arguably the only way something could go faster than light, and such theoretically involved here too.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 03:58:11 pm »

Esplain?
To boil it down to an understandable, layman's terms-esque format, at the smallest level we can currently "see", matter doesn't have to exist in only one place at once.

It's impossibly more complicated than that, but I'd rather not get that far in depth.  I'm sure there's plenty of information on the 'webz.  Mind, there's a lot of debate, but it's arguably the only way something could go faster than light, and such theoretically involved here too.
Okay. So we already knew that neutrinos could appear to move faster than light? Good to know.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »

Which means you actually love quantum mechanics?
That depends on whether or not I count as my own observer. If so, I'm locked in the quantum state of hating quantum mechanics. If not, I have no clue whatsoever.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39