Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 61029 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:51 pm »

You monster.
Science also told us that this was true. Also, that red is a lower energy state than blue, and therefore fire is cooler than water.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2011, 10:32:19 pm »

You monster.
Science also told us that this was true. Also, that red is a lower energy state than blue, and therefore fire is cooler than water.

If you heat a fire hot enough it'll turn blue.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »

Quiet, you. Or I will share with you these cool, refreshing embers I have here. In your face.

I've gotten a bit too silly haven't I?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2011, 10:42:45 pm »

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2011, 10:55:00 pm »

If the universe itself is expanding, how can we tell? It is not like there is anything to which we might compare it.
It works like this:
Hey, look!  All the galaxies are receeding from us with speeds proportional to their distance!(1)

What could that mean!? Either we're at the centre of the universe(but most of us are not arrogant enough to suggest that), or maybe the space is expanding.

Hmmm, I wonder how would the universe need to look like if the space were to be expanding? - By extrapolation, expanding universe should once have been smaller(meaning less space, same amount of mass) - this suggesting a very dense, hot universe some time ago. In such an universe, there would be a time when matter would be opaque to light and then, as the space expands, would cool enough to allow photons to escape constant interactions with matter and propagate in all directions. As the universe expands, this light would get gradually redshifted(loose energy).(2)

1 is the observation that gave birth to the idea
2 is the prediction derived from the hypothesis that explained the observation 1.

Predictions of 2 have been measured(the discovery of microwave bacground radiation) and found to be almost exactly like what the theory(no longer a hypotheis) predicted.

As the crackpot conspiracy "theorists" say: Coincidence?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2011, 11:06:56 pm »

There's a difference between "the universe is expanding" and "the observable universe is expanding", although in practice they mean the same thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2011, 12:17:54 am »

On a serious note though, the laws of physics as currently understood do not actually forbid objects from moving faster than lightspeed, they mearly forbid things from accelerating past lightspeed; an object can move at superluminal velocities provided that it starts out that way;
Ok, but... The reason lightspeed is a barrier at all is that a particle's kinetic energy approaches infinity as it gets closer to c, regardless of its acceleration, yes? You're blowing conservation of momentum out of the water with an FTL particle with mass, and if you could trap one of these in a ring and collide it with some chicken soup, you're getting free hot soup, no? Problem, entropy indeed. I think it's much more likely that they've teleported one, not counting the even more likely possibility that it's an error.

Still, this has got the sci-fi author in me stirring again. So long, productivity.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2011, 11:22:02 am »

Communication potential is nothing next to computation. Set up a 32- or 64-channel transmitter on Earth and somewhere else far away, hook it up to a computer (required speed depends on how much of a gap you have), use it to pass steps in an equation back and forth until finished. Instant answers to everything. Problem, entropy?
What are you actually suggesting here?

If you're bouncing signals back and forth between us and a point 4ly distant, then normally you'd be getting a 8 year delay between the question and the answer.  Say we exploit the fact that we can send the signals so they get back a week (or any arbitrary amount of time) earlier than they would have done...  I'm not sure how much use that would be.

(Reminds me a bit of the whole "I want of those James Bond cars that can be invisible, I could get through traffic jams with it" thing that everyone was going on about when the one with the godawful Madonna song came out.  How?  By driving on the pavement/other side of the road, dodging the pedestrians/oncoming cars who don't know you're trying to use that space?  Because otherwise you've still got a traffic jam that you're stuck behind, with the added disadvantage of the car behind you not knowing that the Aston Martin-length space in front of him is not actually empty and shunting into you.  An intangible car might be good, for avoiding jams.  Invisible ones are not so useful in this circumstance.)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2011, 11:38:49 am »

It'd work if you could get something up past 2c, which I guess could be theoretically possible if c is no longer a hard limit? It'd become an engineering problem, I suppose; this alone wouldn't do it, just establish the possibility. You'd get a higher gain on the degree to which you get your answers before you ask the question the further away you had your transmitters though. I think. I kind of suck at any sort of intuitive understanding of anyphysics that isn't Newtonian.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2011, 12:23:47 pm »

It'd work if you could get something up past 2c, which I guess could be theoretically possible if c is no longer a hard limit? It'd become an engineering problem, I suppose; this alone wouldn't do it, just establish the possibility. You'd get a higher gain on the degree to which you get your answers before you ask the question the further away you had your transmitters though. I think. I kind of suck at any sort of intuitive understanding of anyphysics that isn't Newtonian.
Yeah, but the increased gain doesn't eventually start working into negative time territory. It's like saying "A 1% savings account can earn you a MILLION dollars a year! (If you have a billion dollars to put into savings...)".

And to borrow your example, if it were an effect operating at 2c you'd still get better aggregate performance from lots of tiny distances rather than long ones. Just like with current electronics.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2011, 12:32:02 pm »

We're also talking about neutrinos here, which interact with about 1 in every 1036 atoms they meet...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2011, 12:37:17 pm »

Ninjaed, probably

It'd work if you could get something up past 2c, [...]
I still don't get it.  (Either me or thee, but right now I'll go with it being me.)

If you can send your signals on a nominally 8 year round trip at twice the speed they should, you get your echoed signal back in four years.  You send "Hello!" and you wait for years to hear... "Hello!"  Can't see it rivalling Cleverbot, it's just an echo chamber.

Are you confusing this with the speed increase point beyond which communication is instantaneous?  Even then, getting the echo before you sent it can only tell you what you are about to shout, and is only useful if you can hear what you were about to shout[1], modify what you're about to do and then shout out something different[2], thus doing an effectively parallel calculation.  Assuming you can do that, which may be considered a similar magnitude of speculation to the whole negative time-delay itself (if not completely linked in the first place).

[1] e.g. "I tried this particular travelling salesman route, and it was the shortest so far, at 5 hours travelling!"

[2] e.g. "I have now tried the first fifty possible routes, and the 14th was the shortest at 4 hours, so, you now need to have checked the 51st and tell us if this changes things in the next iteration"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »

Yeah, I definitely misunderstood.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2011, 01:44:47 pm »

Ninjaed, probably

It'd work if you could get something up past 2c, [...]
I still don't get it.  (Either me or thee, but right now I'll go with it being me.)

If you can send your signals on a nominally 8 year round trip at twice the speed they should, you get your echoed signal back in four years.  You send "Hello!" and you wait for years to hear... "Hello!"  Can't see it rivalling Cleverbot, it's just an echo chamber.

Are you confusing this with the speed increase point beyond which communication is instantaneous?  Even then, getting the echo before you sent it can only tell you what you are about to shout, and is only useful if you can hear what you were about to shout[1], modify what you're about to do and then shout out something different[2], thus doing an effectively parallel calculation.  Assuming you can do that, which may be considered a similar magnitude of speculation to the whole negative time-delay itself (if not completely linked in the first place).

[1] e.g. "I tried this particular travelling salesman route, and it was the shortest so far, at 5 hours travelling!"

[2] e.g. "I have now tried the first fifty possible routes, and the 14th was the shortest at 4 hours, so, you now need to have checked the 51st and tell us if this changes things in the next iteration"
This is exactly what I'm saying, and it's the reason why I included the clauses I did - you'd have to have a very large gap between each transmitter. Even at 2c, you'd still have to have a significant gap, but we're also talking on the timescale of computers, remember, so you could work pretty close to the absolute boundry it would require, which helps some.

Say you had the equation 2(256/(8 * 16)). Solving it step by step inside a computer, you have to first pass 8 and 16 to an operator, and the operator has to process it and send it back. But to begin with, with conventional computers, in your program memory you know that it's 8 and 16 that you have to pass for the first step, and you know where in the CPU you're passing it.

Now say you have an input stream (the transmitters) that operate on your memory and instructions directly. This is done with things like Cheat Engine all the time. You come to the step in your program that you're going to solve (time A), you solve it (time B), and then you send the next step in the program through your transmitter to the other side (time C). The other side receives the answer to the step at a speed not greater than half the time period it takes from A to C, and sends it back to be queued by the home computer at or before time A occurred, ready to inject as the answer so that the next step (4/128) can begin immediately. Rinse, repeat.

With this solution you're limited by memory access speed. I don't know if there's something faster, but it still jacks your processing capability waaaay the hell above normal physical limitations, if I understand those correctly. Of course, it's blatant violation of causality, which may or may not be an issue ;)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2011, 01:57:05 pm »

But so far we've only got something getting somewhere slightly earlier than it should normally have arrived, not slightly earlier than it set off.  And while there are indeed problems in working out how the first might have happened, there's very little reason to believe that the second is going to be possible.

So signals travelling at 2c, 3c, 10,000c... doesn't matter, it's not going to do much more than shorten the delay you're introduciing by putting a huge loop in your system.  And, what was it?  1.000000034c or something?  Hardly useful.

Or, again, it might be me not t understanding.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39