Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D.O.R.F: Dwarves Overcoming Ridiculous Failures  (Read 6559 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
D.O.R.F: Dwarves Overcoming Ridiculous Failures
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:09:22 pm »

This is a place where I intend to try to collect and acronym major achievements in Dwarf Fortress history.
Acronym Count: 14

A.R.G.H.M.Y.S.P.L.E.E.N.: Agonizing Realms of Greatly Harmful Medical Yore; Stories of People Leaving Every Extremity Nowhere. Medical !!SCIENCE!!. Many dwarves killed in the name of keeping dwarves alive.

B.U.R.N.I.T.A.L.L.: Big, Unplanned Really Not Idiot-proof Tower; A Legendary Land. The fortress. A succession fort from way back in the 2D version, Boatmurdered had the first recorded magma cannon, killer elephants, lots of goblins, more ashes than you could find a use for, Horrors of the Underground, and ended in a tantrum spiral that had but two survivors, one a child.

D.O.R.C.P.U.T.E.R.: Dwarves Operate Really Complex Primarily Useless Type of dEvice for numbeRs. A computer in DF, built in a cave with a bunch of rocks. Needs new acronym.

E.L.F.K.I.N.G.: Eternal Legend; Forest-Kin In Nobility of Ground-dwellers. The tale of Cacame Aweminidae, the Elf King of Dwarves.

F.I.R.S.T.U.R.I.S.T.: Fairly Incredible Revelation of a Singular Traveler: Urist 1, Riveting Installments Show the Tale! The original Urist.

H.A.L.L.E.G.E.N.D.S.: Hall Amazingly, Lovingly Lathered with Great Eternal Names of Dwarves' Stories. The Hall of Legends, full of famous tales.

H.E.A.D.S.H.O.T.: Headshoots, Evermore Another Dwarven Succession Home Of Terror. Headshoots is a succession fortress which I don't know much about, so this info will need to be expanded on.

M.O.S.T.I.N.T.E.R.E.S.T.I.N.G.D.W.A.R.F.: Many Overtrained Skills to Try to Incrediblize (Not Truly English) Really Excellent Super-Trained Incredibly Nimble Ground-Dweller. Morul gets to legendary in every skill then extant.

M.U.R.D.E.R.B.R.O.N.S.E.: Many Unnamed Ripped-apart Dwarves Eaten by Rashas, Beast-forgotten; Revenge, Oggez Now Slain; Excellent. Oggez Rashas was a forgotten beast. It attacked Bronzemurder, a dwarven fortress, which ended with only three survivors. Will they survive? Read this illustrated tale to find out.

O.O.P.S.: Oblivious Overseer Pierces Spoilers. Well, someone is mislead into releasing some spoilers. The big ones, menacing with spikes of not-secret.

Q.U.E.E.N.M.C.B.A.D.A.S.S.: Queen of the Underground, Elves Eat her Neighbors; Many Creatures Blown-Apart Dead; At-end Single Survivor. Tholtig Cryptbrain, the last of an era, who slew 2,340 elves and a cyclops. That is the longest recorded kill list of ANY dwarf.

S.E.A.S.E.R.P.E.N.T.: Sphalerite Evermore Amazes; Strange Experiments; Reptiles, Pachyderm-Eating, Now Tamed. Sphalerite's Sea Serpent Stuff.

S.E.Q.U.E.L.I.N.T.H.E.I.R.Y.: Second Event. Queen Underground Enters, Leaves Insane. Now The Headshoots Event In Relatively Yorish. End of the acronym needs work, but currently means that it's supposed to be in the same world as Headshoots. It takes place in an evil glacier biome and is sieged by abominations "born of Headshoots" (i.e. modded in and inspired by Headshoots). I don't know much about it, but I think the queen came early and went insane. Or maybe that was Headshoots.

V.I.D.E.O.: Various Idiosyncrasies Depicted on Electronic Optics. A video (in German), depicting dwarves going through various things all major fortresses deal with, from weird engravings to "On Break" doctors to catsplosions to killer unicorns to floods to an engraving-of-cats-splosion to massive migrant waves.

This is nowhere near complete, but I will add to this as time goes on. Partly to stockpile !!SCIENCE!!, legendary tales, and miscellaneous awesome stuff in one place, but mostly because I like making acronyms. Feel free to add suggestions of SCIENCE (flames optional) or stories that you feel should be added.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:41:54 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: D.O.R.F: Dwarves Overcoming Ridiculous Failures
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:39:37 pm »

Don't forget Morul, Captain Ironblood, and Boatmurdered!

Looks good so far though :P
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:59:34 pm »

Don't forget Morul, Captain Ironblood, and Boatmurdered!

Looks good so far though :P

Those are in the Hall of Legends thread under Community Games & Stories

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:12:30 am »

I was planning to add them as soon as I had time to think of "good" acronyms. B.O.A.T.M.U.R.D.E.R.E.D. is kind of long...maybe M.U.R.D.E.R.B.O.A.T. would be better?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:58:36 am »

For Boatmurdered, you could always do something like

F.L.O.O.D.T.H.E.W.O.R.L.D.
B.U.R.N.I.N.G.P.U.P.P.I.E.S.
R.A.M.P.A.G.I.N.G.E.L.E.P.H.A.N.T.S.
L.E.G.E.N.D.A.R.Y.T.A.L.E.
S.T.A.R.K.R.A.V.I.N.G.M.A.D.

Those are the better ones I can think of.. yes they're all kinda long, but its BOATMURDERED! It deserves to be long!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:03:21 am »

What about F.*.C.K.T.H.E.W.O.R.L.D. after the magma device that kept them safe before indirectly killing them all?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:33:31 am »

What about F.*.C.K.T.H.E.W.O.R.L.D. after the magma device that kept them safe before indirectly killing them all?
How about I.E.D.?

Inevitable
Environment
Destroyer

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 03:22:33 pm »

How about I.E.D.?

Inevitable
Environment
Destroyer
Doesn't spell anything.
Sig

Fluffkind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »

Improvised explosive device

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 04:00:25 pm »

Ied is not a word.
Sig

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:36 pm »

GreatWyrm, you could probably change "Incrediblize" for "Integrate" and still get the same intention with proper english. 

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 10:48:17 pm »

Hehe... 'IED doesn't spell anything'...

What about the all time great, Deathgate!

Loony
Ignorant
Vandals
EMIGRATE
Into
Nasty
Hell
Eventually,
Lotsa
Lolz
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:57:05 pm by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 10:49:52 pm »

Hehe... 'IED doesn't spell anything'...

What about the all time great, Deathgate!

Loony
Ignorant
Vandals
Establish
Into
Nasty
Hell
Eventually,
Lotsa
Lolz

Wouldn't Emigrate into hell be better? 

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Isa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 01:24:11 am »

This needs to be stickyfied.
Pages: [1] 2