Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legacy of Insightshields  (Read 6534 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legacy of Insightshields
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:44:55 pm »

Sit ye down, and grab a seat,
feast upon a hock of meat.
Grab yerself a mug o' ale,
and listen to my woven tale.

Long ago, in the moutains high,
there was a fortress that touched the sky.
It's defenses strong, with mighty gates,
yet none could keep it from it's fate.

They dug too deep, where none should go,
and they found their doom waiting below.
Though heros stood against the foe,
it was they who took the final blow.

Fire rained and danced around,
while bodies piled upon the ground.
Two stood strong, amidst the battle,
against flaming claw and fire bone rattle.

Nil Coallung, the first was called.
Of mighty arm, proud and tall.
He slew them fast, killed them dead,
until he could no longer stand the fire dread.

Olon Flewrough was the second's name,
And no finer spear could hold such fame.
A lightning strike, with every breath
yet she could not dodge her inevitable death.

Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

-------

HFS is a glorious thing. How do you end your fortresses when you're ready to move on? I prefer this method... always get the best stories.

Edit: [Made it here instead of general discussion, since I guess technically it's a question about your gameplay.]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:51:35 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy of Insightshields
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:35:48 am »

Epic poem is epic. 

How do you end your fortresses when you're ready to move on?

HFS is always a good option and it's the one I tend to choose more often these days.  Sometimes I go for the "no booze no food makes Urist one thoroughly pissed-off dwarf" ending. 

I had one embark where I had a shitload of candy and a legendary weaponsmith and armorsmith.  I got bored, so I thought what the hey, I've never done the spike trap thing and this fortress is expendable at this point.  So I set up the spike traps, stationed the gleaming military in a strategic spot, sent a sacrificial miner in to open things up, put the levers on repeat...and wound up colonizing Hell.  It was an odd feeling, especially when the caravan decided to take a tour on their way out of the fortress that year.   :o  Of course, I guess it makes sense - I mean, how many dwarves get a chance to walk through Hell and live to talk about it?  I had some fun imagining them sharing the stories about that particular fortress when they got back home. 

I couldn't bear to kill that one off after that, so I just...left it.  I moved the folder out of the main DF folder and just left them in suspended animation, forever.  I find that to be a fairly satisfying way of leaving the fortresses that have gone well, actually.  (Of course, mass destruction is also satisfying.)
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »

I couldn't bear to kill that one off after that, so I just...left it.  I moved the folder out of the main DF folder and just left them in suspended animation, forever.

Strangely enough I do the same thing. I have the file for 'Bannerfaint' sitting around here somewhere... I colonized hell in it, and my military was an unstoppable force of assbeat, didn't use danger rooms, my military commander and ''second-in-command'' had sweet titles and a rich history of crushing fools that dared oppose me.. I couldn't bring myself to end it [mainly because I tried... and couldn't. They were too strong.]

Edit: Alright, I'll assume this just isn't getting answered. Bad topic. :(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:02:49 am by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

PlainTextMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Babbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:43:32 pm »

Sorry for bumping this ^_^

Epic poem is epic. 

Hehe, absolutely! Apply some imagination, and Dwarf Fortress is a credible epic poem inspiration generator. Actually, I'd love to see more stories, poetry and other art (like this poem!) from the community.

I couldn't bear to kill that one off after that, so I just...left it.  I moved the folder out of the main DF folder and just left them in suspended animation, forever.

Strangely enough I do the same thing. I have the file for 'Bannerfaint' sitting around here somewhere... I colonized hell in it, and my military was an unstoppable force of assbeat, didn't use danger rooms, my military commander and ''second-in-command'' had sweet titles and a rich history of crushing fools that dared oppose me.. I couldn't bring myself to end it [mainly because I tried... and couldn't. They were too strong.]

Edit: Alright, I'll assume this just isn't getting answered. Bad topic. :(

Nah man, not bad topic at all. In fact, if you can properly colonize hell and then be pretty much unable to end your fort, I'd say, at least in some small way, you've won at DF. Not everyone can manage colonizing hell. (though I admit the skill-leveling system in DF is both unrealistic and unbalanced, and also easily exploitable :-\ )
Quote from: Loud Whispers link=topic=95349.0
5. You haz rage and you must punch things, but you haz no arms. Pray to ARMOK - Dwarf Mantra
This is an exceptional Post, well crafted with paragraphs and encrusted with attempted punctuation, bad non-native-English-speaker glitches. May exhibit great insight and/or stupidity.
Quote from: Aramco link=topic=81421.msg2149268#msg2149268
I hate English. It may be my first language, but I hate it. It doesn't make any sense.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:57:02 pm »

Youve created a mad ai version of a fort HAL axe beard 4000!!
But wow how long did it take to ryhm all that?
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:59:58 am »

As we wandered, wagon creaking,
thru the forests and feldspar streaking
across the land like only jagged mountains go.
'Ere we wondered, noone speaking,
is that iron, plainly speaking,
hematite so clearly peaking, peaking thru the drifts of ever blowing snow?
"A better place we'll never find", I said and claimed a spot of three biomes.
"Let this be our Mountainhome."

-no time to finish this epic verse, i welcome others to add their prose..

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 12:18:26 pm »

Lol, I'd almost forgotten about this topic. I just made it up as I went, based on a fortress I'd been playing that ended just prior. I pondered the fate of the forth then made a topic. I like to do eye-catching things and I have a small amount of talent for writing [see below] and figured I'd do a poem this time.
Legacy of Insightshields