Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random attacking in fort  (Read 1877 times)

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random attacking in fort
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:13:32 pm »

I've reached a certain point where a random member of my guard attacks a random member of my dwarves for seemingly no reason, Nobody is unhappy, they just seem to pick any nearby dwarf to start a fight with. I've savescummed a little to try and figure it out and it changes which member of the guard attacks every time. Any ideas?
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Random attacking in fort
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 01:18:16 pm »

Check your Justice screen.  You have probably either failed a production mandate or violated an export mandate, and someone is being punished with a beating because you didn't build a jail.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 01:56:35 pm »

Ah yes, the famous "the goddamn Batman" problem.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »

Check your Justice screen.  You have probably either failed a production mandate or violated an export mandate, and someone is being punished with a beating because you didn't build a jail.

Ah, of course, it's been a while since I've had to deal with justice stuff, thanks.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »

Most players prefer rope-based jails because they effectively give Urist McJailbird a 3x3 bedroom, which can be loaded with food and drink stockpiles so he/she doesn't starve or die of thirst because nobody brought them food/water, and a bed so they don't get unhappy thoughts from sleeping on the floor. Some also fancy up the jailroom as much as possible so Urist McJailbird can look at pretty furniture and get happy thoughts while he's in prison.

Using a good jail and backup laborers for every profession, I've hardly had to fuss about nobles being unreasonable.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:18:00 pm »

I equipped my justice squad with spears and shields, and they seem to enjoy using them to control the population. With no announcements a fight breaks out and commoner is killed. I imagine Urist Mchauler made a comment about Urist McBadass' wife. I'm also not certain that they are also killing dwarfs during tantrums and of course when they go berserk.

Could also be related to the fact that I drafted a commoner with no skills who has no idea what hes doing, panics and uses the spear.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »

It's even more related to the fact that you set up a guard squad in the first place. Don't do that unless you want them attacking your dwarves. It's their job, that's what they do.

What happens is that a noble (mayor, baron, count, etc.) says "I want 3 fine pewter items made". You either don't notice the announcement, or don't have the correct materials, so you don't make them. Then after a few months, the noble gets upset and blames a random craftsdwarf for not making them. The guards observe that there is no jail, so they find the poor victim unrepentant criminal and beat him up. And if your guards are equipped with spears (or axes, or swords, or hammers, etc.), they probably kill him. Justice (such as it is) is served.

Or even worse is when you have just traded away several dozen rock mugs, the trading caravan has left your fort and is halfway to the edge of the map, and your baron suddenly decides to forbid the export of mugs. The traders leave the map with the mugs and your baron is livid that his export ban was violated, so every dwarf that carried a mug to the trade depot is now charged with the crime.

This is why I almost never assign a Captain of the Guard. The justice system as it currently works is just too arbitrary, random, unavoidable, and brutal. Assign a militia commander instead. His troops' job is to beat up goblins and other foreigners, not your dwarves.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:35:12 pm »

The traders leave the map with the mugs and your baron is livid that his export ban was violated, so every dwarf that carried a mug to the trade depot is now charged with the crime.
Items in bins can't be tracked. So long as the mug itself was never hauled to the depot, the noble will get an unhappy thought about nobody being able to be punished for violating the export ban.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 10:09:15 pm »

You could also just give your CotG a wooden shield and nothing else.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 01:40:52 am »

my COTG has metal armor (dont want him to die either), a wooden shield (I'm thinking leather would be even weaker) and a -bone crossbow-, which he only uses as primitive hammer, and he has no hammer skill, archery skill, or, in fact, any other skill. All my civs are in the militairy, inactive, no barracks, in leather armor, shields if there are enough. The chance of anyone dieing from a beating are close to 0
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 06:35:55 am »

The justice system as it currently works is just too arbitrary, random, unavoidable, and brutal.

That said, I love Plutocrat's explanation of this : The sheriff gets an order from the noble to punish the mason responsible for the mandate's failure, or to smash a smuggling ring, and the fort cops just beat up the guys they didn't like, or those who oggled their wife, or their uncle's competitors...  ;D

A good prison, and some attention to the noble's previous bans to avoid inadvertant smuggling (I know it's dangerous to trade hatches or steel weapons in my fort, for example) are often enouth to avoid beatings, and I love the idea of a city guard taking care of troublemakers and sucking up to the nobility.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 08:23:35 am »

My recently appointed COTG runs my marksdwarf squad, all with bone/wood crossbows, with his being an artifact. Within moments of being appointed he had used it to kill his wife via brain smashing. She was a lowly nondescript bowyer who had an outstnading mandate failure by her name from a looong time ago. He apparently enjoyed giving a beating more than suffering loss...
This is a blank sig.

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 08:39:18 am »

As far as appointing the CotG, I thought that was one of those positions (like mayor) that just...  happens once your fort reachs a vertain size. Can you get one without appointing one, or have I just accidently appointed one while trying to set up my military in the past?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 11:19:03 am »

you set it up in the militairy window too, so probably by accident instead of creating a new militia squad you created a guard squad
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.