Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Growing Grass on Constructed Tiles  (Read 3088 times)

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Growing Grass on Constructed Tiles
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:41:50 am »

I'm planning an above ground fort, where ground level is a massive dining hall plus my animal and plant industries. There are murky pools all over the map, which don't get in the way of the fort itself since I can just build floors over them but they're disrupting my neat orderly sheep pastures.

Is there a way to build a tile that will spawn grass? Checking the wiki and searching around here seems to indicate that building a "natural" clay floor won't work and neither will muddying a constructed tile (although that last research came from people flooring their plumbing to prevent tree growth--are things different outside?). Have I missed some little trick? Will I just have to deal with having a natural-looking sheep pasture complete with watering holes?

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Grass on Constructed Tiles
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:12:16 am »

Grass only grows on natural tiles, I'm afraid. If you want the grass to look more "artificial", however, there should be an option in the init file to make grass only appear as periods, instead of the usual array of characters.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:20:03 am »

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm a dirty tileset user anyways so I'm not bothered by funny grass characters~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 10:34:40 am »

The best you can go for is obsidianizing the ground, digging through it and muddying the obisidian

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 01:53:21 pm »

The best you can go for is obsidianizing the ground, digging through it and muddying the obisidian
He is on a surface fort.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 01:56:07 pm »

He is on a surface fort.

But I assumed he allowed himself to dig quarries.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 02:18:27 pm »

Flooded tiles will grow stuff.  Dump water on it from the zone above it, or the slower method, pen a grazer there, don't they poop potash?  It might starve, but you'll get a 1x1, to use for the next grazer.  Keep sacrificing them.  I'd think the best method would be buckets and a pond activity zone.

Good luck,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:21:24 pm »

She's (felt the need to correct, not that it matters) on a surface fort but not a hardcore one. Tombs will be underground, quarries will be dug, and I will drop gobbos into a rocky FB pit once one wanders into the cavern and I figure out how to bait the thing over here.

I wouldn't be playing this game if the idea of casting my pastures out of obsidian wasn't intriguing but magma pump stacks still scare me. Maybe I'll keep this fort running long enough to try it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »

Flooded tiles will grow stuff.  Dump water on it from the zone above it, or the slower method, pen a grazer there, don't they poop potash?  It might starve, but you'll get a 1x1, to use for the next grazer.  Keep sacrificing them.  I'd think the best method would be buckets and a pond activity zone.
Only with natural tiles however (I wasn't sure myself so I ran a test a couple of weeks back). If you construct a floor then nothing will grow on it, regardless of whether or not it has been muddied.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »

Only with natural tiles however (I wasn't sure myself so I ran a test a couple of weeks back). If you construct a floor then nothing will grow on it, regardless of whether or not it has been muddied.

Floors too?  I thought just paved roads behaved like that, if they were built with blocks.  Otherwise stuff grew.  So stuff doesn't grow on floor made of nonblock?  Good to know, thanks for the correction.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.