Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stairs Question  (Read 1113 times)

Black13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stairs Question
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:17 am »

Hey Everyone,

So I tried a quick search of the forums but didn't find a quick answer to my question:

What is the optimal way to build stairways?  I remember reading somewhere that several z levels of up/down stairs are bad and should be made into a set of up stairs and another set of down.  Can anyone shed some light on how best to build multiple z level spanning stairs?  What layout do you use in your forts and why?  Thanks!

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stairs Question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:08:21 am »

I'm actually using a main stairway, up/down stairs all the way except for top and bottom of course.

Thats bad if there is some fighting next to them and somone dodges on them. That unlucky dwarf will fall all the way down.

However, if they get to my central staircase, something went terribly wrong in the first place...
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:58:39 am »

On the other hand, if you build a dodge-trap around the staircase, anything that even thinks of invading without trapavoid had best be in it for the long-fall
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:20:16 am »

I'm pretty much in Nightliner's boat: if there's fighting at my stairs, I'm already having more ‼Fun‼ than some dwarf dodging down them can provide.  I use up/down stairs, either a 1x1 stariwell surrounded by a dug out landing to be a 3x3 room, or more recently a 3x3 column of stairs to reduce log jams.  Not sure what that would be bad for that up stairs next to down stairs would improve.  Traffic? more stairs handles that, and u/d stairs are a little less hassle to mass-designate imo.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 01:03:44 pm »

Use Floor Hatches over all stairs.  It doesn't impact their utility, but it does save dwarves from falling 20 floors...plus you can lock floors down if you ever need it.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 11:30:41 am »

Use Floor Hatches over all stairs.  It doesn't impact their utility, but it does save dwarves from falling 20 floors...plus you can lock floors down if you ever need it.
You are indeed wise, sir. +1.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.