Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Gauging interest in a forum-based meta MMO...thing.

(1/8) > >>

Sowelu:
So I mentioned a neat old site called SimCorps in the Other Games MMO thread, and thought it might be neat to...well, revive, short term and small scale anyways.

Basic concept of the original: Two time-travelling agencies vying for control.  You are all agents, and each week they post new missions. Completing a mission gives your faction points and territorial control.  You even got weekly videotaped briefings! In 2000 this was a big deal.

Each mission is actually one scenario or match in an actual computer game.  They used SMAC, HOMM3, Unreal, Homeworld, and a ton of modern war sims.  They either post a map or some basic parameters (UT on this map, versus this many teamed bots at this skill) and some brief story explanation of what you need to do and why.  Give it a shot, then send in an after-action report whether you succeed or fail...from sentences on up.  Sometimes, there were co-op or versus assignments.  Naturally, anyone can take any mission (of their side).

If you guys are interested, and you can agree on a small handful of games that are cheap/free and lend themselves well to 15 minute to 2 hour missions, I'll try to run a campaign for a month or two and see what happens. Zero commitment, jump in on any mission you want even in the middle of the campaign, ignore any or all that you don't.

(One of the games may be X-com; I think I can swing an editor pretty well to set up custom battlescape missions.)

mainiac:
Certainly an interesting idea.

One thing to point out is that a lot of online games would work very well with this.  Desktop tower defense springs to mind, as do a lot of remakes of classic arcade games.  Admittedly, they aren't versus, but they would still be a good low commitment activity for members who don't feel like a big challenge for the week.

Frajic:
I'd join in on it.

Sowelu:

--- Quote from: mainiac on September 23, 2011, 04:51:10 pm ---Certainly an interesting idea.

One thing to point out is that a lot of online games would work very well with this.  Desktop tower defense springs to mind, as do a lot of remakes of classic arcade games.  Admittedly, they aren't versus, but they would still be a good low commitment activity for members who don't feel like a big challenge for the week.

--- End quote ---

Hm, probably mostly trash, but there may be a few gems in flash games. I'll keep that in mind.  Haha, maybe I'll use Tempest or something.

I need recommendations on games.  X-Com and SMAC are a given.  Other strategy games that could mod in a shortish mission?  FPSes?  Yeah I need a good FPS for this, one with good bots and ideally built in mods.  Unreal Tournament GOTY is ten bucks on Steam, I was hoping it was cheaper...but it's a goddamn classic and probably perfect.  Are there cheaper alternatives?

Preferably stuff that people are likely to already have.  Otherwise, things that everyone SHOULD have becaused they are awesome.

(And remember, you don't need them all, you can just play the missions for the games you do have.  The emphasis here is not on making people spend money D:)

MonkeyHead:
Would jump in if I had access to any of the games... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version