Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist begins to stalk and brood...  (Read 1277 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist begins to stalk and brood...
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:01:05 pm »

Well this is a first. I actually had to look this up on the wiki because it had never happened to me before. Afte reading, though, it says ''Only an unhappy dwarf may enter a macabre mood.''

This is untrue. My doctor is 'Quite content' and he's currently in a Macabre mood. Or what else could cause it?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist begins to stalk and brood...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:02:37 pm »

Perhaps he was in a bad mood at the time when the strange mood started and something caused him to become happier after the fact.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:09:06 am »

Strange moods automatically set the dwarf's mood to "quite content". He may have been rather grumpy before he entered it.

Expect something grisly, made out of bone or some such.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:30:13 am »

Hope you have a competent and ambitious sheriff with a place to put the good Doctor for a while.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:17:06 am »

Hope you have a competent and ambitious sheriff with a place to put the good Doctor for a while.

You're thinking of a fell mood. Macabre moods are harmless - it's just that they'll make something scary out of bones and leather and whatnot.

On the upside, it boosts their happynes back up to content.

I've seen a fell mood exactly once (197 out of three hundred dwarves decimated by goblins...not a good day. Not a good year. Not enough coffins. At all. Didn't have to bother with burying their pets, luckily, but it was a whole stinking fuckin' while before any migrants came 'round.). A recently widowed (and two of his three kids dead) woodcrafter grabbed his last remaining child and made him into leather leggings. So then there was him, and some poor fucker who'd been locked in the jail when the goblins came 'round.

It was one of those days, man...
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:20:49 pm »

He made... his last child... into pants.

Damn, I thought I'd finally been totally desensitized to the crazy shit this game can produce. Guess I was wrong. That's seriously creeping me out.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 02:32:47 pm »

Urist McMason: Urist, you're looking pretty okay, considerin' the troubles with the greenskins, eh?
Urist McWoodcrafter: Well, Urist, I wasn't doing too well but then I got some great ideas fer new pants and, well, don't they look grand on me?
Urist McMason: Ach, they be fine trousers there, Urist.  What is that, horse leather?
Urist McWoodcrafter: No, 'tis close, hairy and fine skin, but not horse.
Urist McMason: Ah, wot then?  Hey, where's your son Unib?  I haven't seen him in a few days.
Urist McWoodcrafter: These pants.  They are Unib.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 02:52:16 pm »

the only thing better would be somehow using a fell mood and the burrow version of the planepacked glitch to turn all useless idlers into a single awe-and-terror inspiring artifact.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 11:25:18 pm »

the only thing better would be somehow using a fell mood and the burrow version of the planepacked glitch to turn all useless idlers into a single awe-and-terror inspiring artifact.
That doesn't work. I tried ;(.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 03:45:19 pm »

Urist McMason: Urist, you're looking pretty okay, considerin' the troubles with the greenskins, eh?
Urist McWoodcrafter: Well, Urist, I wasn't doing too well but then I got some great ideas fer new pants and, well, don't they look grand on me?
Urist McMason: Ach, they be fine trousers there, Urist.  What is that, horse leather?
Urist McMason: Ah, wot then?  Hey, where's your son Unib?  I haven't seen him in a few days.

...and then Unib was a leggings.

Gotta say, the temptation to sig that final line in the conversation is mighty high...  Darn signature limits :/

Hmmm if burrow-mood glitches don't work for fell moods... what about running a fort intentionally at low happiness to increase fell moods, and... train lots of leatherworking/clothier skills to increase garment chances?  I forsee a squad of axedwarves clothed fully in the skins of their peers.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:53:14 pm »

Hehe, yeah. So I guess Urist McMason was the guy who was stuck in the jail.

And then he was all alone with the psycho who'd made his child into pants...until the migrants showed up two years later.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 10:01:57 pm »

my bone carver was in a fey mood and maid a bone longsword. longsword beat the crap out of mr. titan
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:31:53 am »

...and then Unib was a leggings.

Gotta say, the temptation to sig that final line in the conversation is mighty high...  Darn signature limits :/

Hmmm if burrow-mood glitches don't work for fell moods... what about running a fort intentionally at low happiness to increase fell moods, and... train lots of leatherworking/clothier skills to increase garment chances?  I forsee a squad of axedwarves clothed fully in the skins of their peers.
It's remotely possible, I suppose... but it would take a lot of dwarves because a lot would go insane, macabre, or posessed, and those with a fell mood would kill another dwarf, quite possibly one who has not had a mood of their own yet. As for influencing the item made, fell moods will give either leatherworking or bonecarving skill, so focus on those and dwarves with an item preference will likely make that item type.