Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experiments with an !!adventurer!!  (Read 1725 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Experiments with an !!adventurer!!
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:56 pm »

While waiting for the next DF update to come out, I've been experimenting with a adventure mode only race for the purpose of seeing what absurd things I can do with modding.  The creature I'm playing around with started as an attempt to recreate the old 40d tentacle demons, then an experiment with tissues and body parts, then became a way to play around with syndromes, and finally an experiment with the effect of having a fixed body temperature the same as magma.  The last has had some really hilarious results.

Grabbing enemies in combat usually results in their clothing (if any) catching on fire, followed by them melting or bleeding to death.  Most amusingly, I can grab an enemy by their nose and then wait a few moment till their head catches on fire.  This doesn't happen as often if it's raining, due to the rain not letting them catch on fire.

Rain is annoying, there are constant messages about being caught in a burst of steam.  Harmless but spammy.

Do not jump in a river or pool.  You will not be able to get out.  It doesn't matter if you have swimming if the water boils away too fast for you to swim to the surface and climb out.

After fighting, you'll get messages about being caught in clouds of boiling blood if you got any on you.

Oddly, townspeople don't seem to mind if your body temperature is that of magma.  They'll even let you stay in their homes overnight.  I expect it saves on heating bills.

Non-magma-safe objects will catch on fire or melt if you pick them up.  It's interesting to see that DF takes mass and thermal inertia into effect here.  Small or lightweight items burn or melt almost immediately, while large items like corpses take a while to catch on fire.

Strangely, storekeepers don't seem to mind if you pick an item up in their store, set it on fire with your body heat, then drop it and walk away without paying.

You can eat burning food.

You can also wear burning items.  They don't last long, but I loved to imagine the effect of charging into battle wearing a burning crown and jewelry.

You can't butcher a burning corpse.  You can, however, wield it as a weapon.  This failed to set the target on fire however.

If you have an attack which injects a substance, a single successful injection will kill any non-fireproof creature, 100 percent of the time.  They get injected, then a few steps later they melt, then their corpse catches on fire and burns away.  This happens even if it's raining.  It's kind of disturbing to imagine.

It's hard to carry coins and other things you find with you, because bags and backpacks will ignite when you pick them up.  In the world I'm playing in I also have a modded domestic animal with magma-safe tissues, so once I found a bag made from their leather I was able to carry items in that.  Interestingly, being placed inside a bag seems to protect items from burning, and the temperature lag effect meant I was usually able to get coins into the bag before they melted.

When you place a burning bag inside another bag, it continues burning.  When it finally disintegrates, the contents of the burning bag are then deposited on the ground, rather than remaining in the outer bag.  I though this was handled correctly, but further testing revealed it wasn't.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:52:19 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
Re: Experiments with an !!adventurer!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:01:04 pm »

Raws plz.
I too am a researcher on the affects of above room-temperature tentacle demons.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:10:20 pm »

Creature raws (mostly copied from dwarves and changed for the stuff I wanted to experiment with):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entity raws (also mostly just copied from the dwarf entity file):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:30:25 pm »

Truly a monster.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:02:43 am by DarthBoogalo »