Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Silverytool: Community Fortress, lots of space and soil. (7 spots left!)  (Read 5236 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A humble community fortress. AGAIN. I've started countless of these, only to have the thread die off. Here we go again...

The first migrant wave has arrived already, explaining the abundance of spots.

Embark site description:
Hilly landscape. Deepish soil. Igneous Extrusive Obsidian. Sandy Clay. Untamed Wilds area, with marginal wood. VOLCANO. Site thingy said aquifer; IT LIED. ONE BIOME.

Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)

As of now, we are still trying to make living space for everybody. A Military Fortress above the surface-crop farms and the initial living areas is currently being cleared out and the cattle re-located elsewhere to construct the barracks and training houses. Defensive walls will be placed to encase areas that I wish to protect. The army fort and the defensive walls will be of stone.

NOTE: This map contains NO metal WHATSOEVER. Those who wish for weapon-smiths or armorers or blacksmiths or metal-crafters MUST keep this in mind! WE HAVE DISCOVERED SILVER!!! It will be mined out and used for war-hammers once we finish worrying about the military castle and digging living space.

At least two to three updating posts will be made in the form of either narrations or journal entries or a combination of both.

NOTE: Due to a complete absence of metal ores, military will be clad entirely in leather armor with obsidian shortswords, hand-axes, and wooden bows and arrows. This fortress is made using the Civilization Forge modification, and so many races may be encountered.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:42:19 pm by UristMcHuman »

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: Silverytool: Community Fortress, lots of space and soil. (11 spots left!)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:48:16 pm »

I'll take the Brewer, name him G. He also loves to drink booze and you will expect him to see half of your one month booze supply gone to him.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:18:27 pm »

I'l take oarfocuses, miner.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:10:45 am »

I'll take the doctor.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverytool: Community Fortress, lots of space and soil. (7 spots left!)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 08:22:43 am »

I'll take the doctor.
No weapon-smith, this time?

All of you are ready for action. Here's the first update

NOTE: There may be many posts at once. Each event may earn its own post.

26 Limestone, 100
Oh dear... A bad channelling accident a couple of days ago led to a massive cave-in for the roof of one of the surface-plant farms. One of our Legendary miners, Moldath "Fountainguard", was caught in that cave-in, and fell through a hole in that floor. We heard a loud CRACK and when we come in, Moldath wasn't breathing. He died today about three hours after the Sun rose up from the ground, and we are trying to get him a proper funeral arranged.

Otherwise, all was going well. Our wood-worker was clearing the trees of oak and birch and highwood from our future military fortress. Shrubs need not be bothered with, as they can quite easily be built over.

We have been very lucky to get this much funding--we brought almost 10,000 ingots' worth of supplies and materials. 10,000 ingots' worth. 100 logs each of four woods, 100 tanned hides each of five creatures, 150 assorted drinks, 40 meat, 20 fish, 40 plants, many dozens of seeds, 100 spools of cave spider silk thread, 100 pieces of the same fabric, and enough materials to get fifteen wells built. Sadly, what I have been informed of our site is wrong. We have no aquifer. However, these fabled 'caverns' that we have hit have what is either a large pond or a small lake. We plan on getting a pair of screw-pumps set up next to it so as to get clean-ish water for our wounded.

The halls themselves are still mostly un-dug, having only mined out the soily areas. We plan on digging down to--and through--the layer of Obsidian to mine out more rooms and workshop spaces. Our military fortress on top of our hill is being cleared of trees and will soon have its wall up. The defensive walls will also still need to be put up to defend the other soily areas, the deposits of Obsidian, and most importantly of all, the mouth of the volcano itself.

We also plan on setting up large mining operations to get more Diorite out of our caverns to set up the fortress and the defensive walls.

I must help with constructing some other buildings. I shall write more next month.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:26:39 am »

If you get a useless peasant, please dorf me as that one, named Strider, and trained in the usage of a bow and arrow, please. 

So, yeahRESERVE
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 08:35:12 am »

OK. Peasant for NRDL named Strider. He will be trained as one of the fort's archers. And, in fact, the fort's first soldier. Sadly, as we have no metal ores AT ALL on this map, you will have to deal with a wooden bow and arrows with leather armor.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:36:46 am »

Why do you think I named him Strider?  At first, I thought of using the name "Legolas" then realized I would be dorfed as an elf. 

If that were to happen, the universe would asplode. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:38:35 am »

I'll take the Farm-hand.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:56:55 am »

I'll take the doctor.

Well, the fact that there's no metal on the embark would mean I would only have actions every couple of months if you ever buy some bars.
So I tought that dwarves without significant armor would need a good doctor to stay alive.

Also, what will you use the volcano for? Since you don't have metal, I'm guessing traps.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:11:34 am »

Why do you think I named him Strider?  At first, I thought of using the name "Legolas" then realized I would be dorfed as an elf

If that were to happen, the universe would asplode.
Wouldn't it be called being "elfed" up, then?

I have made it possible to make an elf fortress. I can go start one for you right now, if you wish.

I'll take the Farm-hand.
OK. I'll get you dwarfed up ASAP.

I'll take the doctor.

Well, the fact that there's no metal on the embark would mean I would only have actions every couple of months if you ever buy some bars.
So I tought that dwarves without significant armor would need a good doctor to stay alive.

Also, what will you use the volcano for? Since you don't have metal, I'm guessing traps.
I DO have cobaltite, and from what I've heard, it's a fairly dense stone, so I think I'll use it for stone-fall (read: stone-fail) traps.

Good choice. You'll be operating under command of Hugo's dwarf if he ever comes along. Send him a private message if he doesn't show up by 3:00 pm, central standard time (I'm in Minnesota).

And no, I'm going to use the volcano to sacrifice captured enemies. And to power my magma kiln for clay.

Sacrifice Design:
Code: [Select]
O.................
O.................
+++++++++++++DC...
O.................
O.................

O: solid ground, +: stone floor, D: deconstructed wooden floor, C: caged goblin on wooden floor, .: lava

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 09:16:57 am »

PLEASE make an elf community fort.  PLEASE. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 10:05:36 am »

PLEASE make an elf community fort.  PLEASE.
NO. One community fortress is enough. Besides, they don't even dig or chop wood, so how am I supposed to get beds, let alone living quarters, for them???

I'll start one later on when I have more free time. My pre-algebra teacher gives us AT LEAST 10 problems to solve or re-write per day.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 10:07:09 am »

Ah well.  It was a sort-of, joke ( although still partly serious ) and your the writer and player, so you make the decision.  You're still going through with this metal-less fort right? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 10:18:48 am »

Actually, I just saved it so I could go try out my modifications to the elves on 31.25. I use 31.24 for this fort.

I'm going to need to put in custom reactions and positions so that my elves can function more like dwarves.
Pages: [1] 2 3