Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VoidSoul, the Thriving Itemless Waterless Embark  (Read 2240 times)

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
VoidSoul, the Thriving Itemless Waterless Embark
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:18:38 am »

This fortress began as a challenge to myself. Could I succeed on an itemless, waterless embark? Is it possible? So I started VoidSoul, founded on the Glacial (albeit warm) Desert by the Worshippers of Luck. We started by harvesting berries to eat and to brew - we had to turn a log into a booze barrel for water, locking out the possibility of a trade depot until we got more building materials from caravans. A bit of a catch 22. We butchered animals into meat and bones, then made armor, crossbows, and bolts out of them. When the caravan arrived, all 24 dwarves grabbed their gear and attacked the caravan... three dwarves lost their lives before the first macedwarf fell. And then all of my fortress turned on itself due to the loyalty cascade bug. Both members and enemies of their own civilization, they murdered each other including their pets, totally distracted from killing the remaining swordsdwarf and merchants.

So I used the dump-caravan-items bug to claim all their stuff instead. I also had an immigrant with an axe come, so I could have cut the trees and made a depot. I just didn't want to demonstrate the survival be relying on lucky immigration. The !!science!! has shown that the dwarves and immigrants can should be able to kill that caravan if not for the loyalty cascade bug. When that is fixed, I will restart on a harder embark location and do it again, properly slaying the caravan. Until then, here is the thread for the now-thriving VoidSoul community fortress.

I will personally do the first turn (until end of second year, because the dwarves just now got picks) and update on its progress. Anyone who wants to be dorfed, say so here. You can choose your name, profession name, and what jobs you want to mostly do. I will consider any suggestion you can think of. Whoever wants to be put in line for turns, do so. Each turn will last one year, from the beginning of spring to the end of winter. You will be allowed one week to play your year and upload it. We would greatly prefer for you to update at the end of each season, instead of just at the end of the year, but that will work too. At the end of your turn, just upload your savefile and link to it in this thread.

The original Fortress Mode thread can be found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95902.0

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:20:32 am by Kalasen »
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
Re: VoidSoul, the Thriving Itemless Waterless Embark
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:20:14 am »

Can I get the second turn? Thanks :D

Also, rules on the fort?

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:26:49 am »

I'd just like to watch, but please can Boost One the dwarf be in the military?  :)

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:32:59 am »

Alright to both of you.

The turn order so far is:
1) Kalasen
2) Restricted

Rules for the fort... hmm, no rules really. You're free to tear up previous designs or whatever and make your own. Just try to be doing the most !!Fun!! things possible, build superweapons, send squads on cave expeditions, that kind of thing. If it ever dies, we'll savescum it unless the death of the fortress was awesome. So no starving-everyone ends. What we want to end up doing, ideally, is breaking into the Circus when we're ready and become the new ringleaders, without having to wall them off. That's as close to winning in DF as you get, other than megaconstructions. We can do those too. Anything else anybody wants to know, shoot. Before I've started year 2 in earnest, anything I should go for in the initial plans?
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:44:51 am »

Hmm... You won't mind if when I get the fort I might edit the raws so that PET_EXOTICs are tameable do you? Aside from that, I'll also use DFhack's clean function, if you don't mind. Laptop has issues with FPS as is.

As for starting plans, no gates no traps will be !!FUN!!. Even though I have struggles in forts like that, that makes it even more !!FUN!!

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:59:08 pm »

I don't mind changing the PET_EXOTIC tags, since the dungeon master is bugged and doesn't work. While syndrome-causing smears everywhere is !!Fun!!, I see it the same as disabling weather - not much loss for a lot of FPS gain. Still, let's just do that when it starts to bog down FPS. And I like the no traps idea. I mean, let's not forbid traps outright, but let's not put traps right at our entrance hallway. We can still do stuff like scatter them around the caverns and in courtyards, as long as the AI won't in most cases direct themselves over a trap. And no sealing ourselves in completely either with doors or walls. We want as much random Fun happening as possible. I'll keep that in mind as I start to work on it today.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:03:23 pm »

I just LOVE deserts!

Count me in?

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 01:47:35 pm »

I'll take the third turn. Could I be dwarfed as the best doctor in the fort?

uristmcdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:38:59 am »

I`d like to be dorfed, please. Male miner named Krumisan!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:31:19 am »

Can I get turn?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:48:45 pm »

No clue if this is active or not but I will not be able to do my turn to do the loss of the only computer I have access to which can run DF. That is all.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »

So with the Fortress mode thread is this officially dead?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:37:14 pm »

Awesome. I have two ideas/requests:
1. Make as much as you can out of glass
2. Name the bookkeeper after me.

Great idea! Good job.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games