Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Destroying a Goblin Civilization once and for all?  (Read 4870 times)

DatDing15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Destroying a Goblin Civilization once and for all?
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:54:13 am »

Hello!

I am close to becoming a Monarchy and Goblins try to attack it every Spring. They are no problem more of an annoyance who happen to catch maybe one or two Fisherdwarfs until my Squads finally arrive.

I have a few questions about this war-events and general stuff:

1)  Can I beat them for good? I am raiding, pillaging and razing their sites fairly often. But not a single little pit of ~10 inhabitants finally disappear from the map. I have tried attacking their fortress in an open attack (Pillage) but there is a clown in there. And that guy managed to pick apart a fully steel-armored lord-skilled squad until my guys surrendered. Did you guys ever had some success in killing such a monster in fortress mode? And how do I destroy them for good?

2) There is Kobold cave nearby. They have tried to send thieves a few times, but probably were never succesfull. I am at peace with them. Are they worth attacking?

3) My current mayor, then baroness, then countess and probably Queen in the future won't pick a spouse. She is befriended with a Carpenter but that's it. She does not have a single job right now. So she has plenty of Social time in the tavern. Do I really have to lock her with another guy in somewhere so she finally falls in love? I am talking about 7 years now in the fortress being a useless noble.

4) What kind of advantages and disadvantages does it have to be a Monarchy?

5) According to legends mode, there is labyrinth not a days travel away. But I can't find it on the Dwarf-Fortress Map. Do I have to get the rumors? Can I somehow force such rumors to happen?

6) I have a Library with 2 original books (so Artifacts) which I managed to buy from merchants. But my two scholars dont write anything, themselves. They are Scholars for at least three years now. They are Pondering a lot but nobody is writing any stuff. And they have PLENTY of writing material. I am talking about 14 emtpy scrolls and quires.

Kind regards!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Destroying a Goblin Civilization once and for all?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:07:09 am »

1)  Can I beat them for good? I am raiding, pillaging and razing their sites fairly often. But not a single little pit of ~10 inhabitants finally disappear from the map. I have tried attacking their fortress in an open attack (Pillage) but there is a clown in there. And that guy managed to pick apart a fully steel-armored lord-skilled squad until my guys surrendered. Did you guys ever had some success in killing such a monster in fortress mode? And how do I destroy them for good?
I recall at least one report where giant animals have managed to slay demon in a raid. So breeding a small army of war jabberers supported by good tactician could work.

For taking out pits, there is the raze option.

3) My current mayor, then baroness, then countess and probably Queen in the future won't pick a spouse. She is befriended with a Carpenter but that's it. She does not have a single job right now. So she has plenty of Social time in the tavern. Do I really have to lock her with another guy in somewhere so she finally falls in love? I am talking about 7 years now in the fortress being a useless noble.
Socialization happens only with people one stands adjacant to, which typical player tavern designs don't really support, and slowly decays over time.

So pretty much, yeah (you could redesign your tavern but that'd still take longer); assuming she isn't asexual, unwilling to commit, or have personality traits or values preventing relationship progress.

6) I have a Library with 2 original books (so Artifacts) which I managed to buy from merchants. But my two scholars dont write anything, themselves. They are Scholars for at least three years now. They are Pondering a lot but nobody is writing any stuff. And they have PLENTY of writing material. I am talking about 14 emtpy scrolls and quires.
If you have artifact books, I don't think merchants brought them - visitors or raids may have though.

As for pondering, when I tested it took roughly half a decade of pondering from embark with proficient skill to result to write a book. You can set announcements.txt to display a popup announcement in that case.

If any books will do, picking someone who has churned out masterworks can work sometimes; they'll probably write about it.  Or you can just steal books from someone else.

DatDing15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:02:10 pm »

I recall at least one report where giant animals have managed to slay demon in a raid. So breeding a small army of war jabberers supported by good tactician could work.

For taking out pits, there is the raze option.

Socialization happens only with people one stands adjacant to, which typical player tavern designs don't really support, and slowly decays over time.

So pretty much, yeah (you could redesign your tavern but that'd still take longer); assuming she isn't asexual, unwilling to commit, or have personality traits or values preventing relationship progress.

If you have artifact books, I don't think merchants brought them - visitors or raids may have though.

As for pondering, when I tested it took roughly half a decade of pondering from embark with proficient skill to result to write a book. You can set announcements.txt to display a popup announcement in that case.

If any books will do, picking someone who has churned out masterworks can work sometimes; they'll probably write about it.  Or you can just steal books from someone else.

First of all, thank you for your reply.

Secondly I just noticed I posted this accidently in the Discussion Threads... It should have been in the Gameplay questions-section of course. Sorry for that.

I have tried "razing" and have been successfull but it didn't seem to really erase the site. I will try again. Maybe I need a few razes...

Okay that makes sense I believe my Scholars are not that gifted with any labour... I will switch them out!

But yes I actually got the Originals from Merchants.. They were quite cheap too!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 12:09:44 pm »

You can destroy goblin sites by sending razing missions with enough warriors, but it's difficult to root out those last few inhabitants and more often than not a healthy goblin civilization will just reclaim those destroyed sites.

A working method to bring those pesky goblin sites down is via conquest: just spam repeated razing missions until the site population drops to <10 and then send a squad of 2-3 unwanted dwarves to demand surrender. You can whittle down even dark fortresses of 10 000+ inhabitants this way, although it will take several years of nonstop raiding with several Legendary squads.

A demon overlord should be killable with enough Legendary well-equipped warriors, even without war animals (though it helps). During raids the demon's possible special attacks aren't calculated, so basically it's just a big angry hunk of unholy meat to hack down with your dwarves' superior weapons. You might lose a few though, so be prepared.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?