Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharp z-Level bend with ramp: No access? No path?  (Read 1286 times)

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sharp z-Level bend with ramp: No access? No path?
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:21:29 am »

Hi you dwarves out there : )

Please take a look at the picture...
I thought I already know all the special quirks... but obviously I am wrong.

After my miners channeled the ramp from above and dug the hallway they can't go back to the upper level.
Trying to build something in the new hallway will result in a "No access to bed/table/throne/whatever" message.

Any idea why this kind of channeled ramp is acting like this and any idea how to fix this?
I could build a stairway instead of this ramp... ok... but a ramp should work fine I think... but it doesn't.

Thank you

Channeling greetings

xelo
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Sharp z-Level bend with ramp: No access? No path?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:26:06 am »

A ramp needs to be next to a solid wall with a walkable space on top of it.  Yours is not, so it isn't usable.  Just looking at your drawing and using common sense, the dwarf would have to leap from the ramp onto the floating floor to get up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:39:31 am »

Thank you
You probably are totally right (as usual *gg*)

But for the dwarves it should make no difference if there is solid rock under the floor or not, because the height is exact the same.

(Same picture with no hallway but solid rock)

Where is the difference? This is acting against my common sense : )

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:45:11 am »

If a ramp has a solid wall next to it with a walkable tile on the top of the wall, the ramp is assumed to be built such that it slopes towards that wall.  They're not pyramids, even if that's how they appear on the screen.  So your second example acts like the following:

###
__F ____
###/####

while your first is as so:

###
__F ____
###^____

with the ramp in the first example being unusable because it doesn't have any walls with clear spaces on top next to it.

This is acting against my common sense : )

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.

If it helps, think of ramps as being like a floor with a re-positionable ladder on it.  The ladder is just barely too short to lean on a floor on a higher Z-level, so it needs a wall to lean on in order to be usable to reach the next floor up, and that floor must be directly above the wall the ladder is leaning against.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:10:21 am »

Yeah... this really makes sense now

A ramp is NOT a pyramid and does not always allow a 4-way traffic over 2 z-Levels (this was my misunderstanding)
It must "glue" its slope to solid rock and it will allow a 4-way traffic only if all sides are solid.

Thank you very very very much, sphalerite... this was a very helpful answer as always.

Thankful greetings

xelo

(Please excuse weird english)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:12:21 am by xelo »

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good