Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #16: Feedback  (Read 37059 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #16: Feedback
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:49:17 pm »

The sixteenth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  We were on a fairly tight schedule when we recorded this back in August, and this lead to a fairly clean run-through, and thus, no outtakes at the end this time, oddly enough.

edit: Transcript, courtesy of mallocks
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:33:39 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #16: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:00:16 pm »

Give it a listen already, folks!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:00:57 pm »

Already am

I didn't expect one. I don't know why this makes me sad, but I guess my mood is just dipping.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:58:31 pm »

eagerly awaiting further news on little videos

also map stuff sounded neat

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 08:09:17 pm »

Eagerly awaiting the Transcript!  :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:45:14 pm »

I finished, it was neat.

Though I am a bit surprised that Good lands weren't the flip of evil lands in that discussion >_<

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 10:07:08 pm »

Glorious talk with the planes and regional interaction stuff. Made me look up that threetoe story again. :b

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:11:47 pm »

Doing so. Eagerly awaiting the next release. Sounds epic
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 10:21:02 pm »

Hm, sad to hear that most of the supernatural and fae stuff would be sequestered off in a separate world instead of groves our forests in the real world. I hope we'll be given worldgen options to alter that sort of thing; I know I personally would rather if everything was in the world instead of planes. I was sort of hoping DF wouldn't go into that sort of thing too much, especially since we have a physically present hell already.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:38:57 am by Cruxador »

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:34:45 pm »

After several months without dwarf fortress, just hearing the intro music to the podcast makes me want to play it again.

In the podcast you mention you (toady) set up a livestream, what is your link, and when do you plan to go live (if on a schedule)? I'd love to watch.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 12:48:06 am »

I like the idea of organizations you found being able to continue your work after your death. I also kinda wondered about the possibility of succession while you're still alive. I guess that's sort of tied in there, or at least would become low hanging fruit, but it would be nice if you could start up a group, get them start building a town, assign a new leader, then leave for a while, come back, and find they've made some progress (or maybe not, if you picked a crappy leader). Also, hopefully you'd then be able to resume your position so long as people don't hate you for some reason.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Musaab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 02:11:06 am »

After several months without dwarf fortress, just hearing the intro music to the podcast makes me want to play it again.

In the podcast you mention you (toady) set up a livestream, what is your link, and when do you plan to go live (if on a schedule)? I'd love to watch.

Livestream?!?!  Where?

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 04:18:00 am »

Livestream?!?!  Where?

It was just for the meetup

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 06:33:06 am »

Woo! I've been looking forward to a new one for some time!  I will be listening to this on a loop at work all day today.   For some reason I knew I needed to check the site before heading out today.

Thank you Toady, Threetoe, Rainseeker, Capn, Olleh, Mallocks, Emily Menindez, and Scamps!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 06:54:40 am »

after life sounds great.

I love the idea of people being summoned or called back, even if its temporary. It would be good fun if after slaying some fiend his minions brought him back. It would also be fun to fight your former enemies in the afterlife.

With proper burial and Ghosts can i suggest that civs or groups be given an interest in burial. So if a fortress collapses the parent civilisation should have an interest in sorting out the bural rights of those in the fortress. It might just mean errecting a shrine, or it could mean burying each individual. Once this had been done all the ghosts would go to rest. This would also make a good adventurer quest if your adventurer had the ability to build stuff. You could also have bandit like roaming factions that rather than commit banditry focus on sending ghosts to the after life.

With your hero characters. If they have joined a civ or group, or are popular with a group that group could set out to recover your corpse and errect a burial mound for you, so you would only remain as a ghost until that was done. Of course if died in a mega beast lair they may leave you and not make an attempt.

If there was a heaven vs hell set up of some sort it would be quite good to continue the black vs white fight in the afterlife, either by being involved in manipulating the living for your ends, or by having a route to the opposing dimension to fight. Or there could possibly be some afterlife esc everlasting Arena.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4