Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #16: Feedback  (Read 37070 times)

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #16: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 12:58:28 pm »

I hadn't heard about plans for being able to leave a fortress for the parent empire, but that's going to be great when it comes. That is what I was most excited about hearing.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:58 pm »

ahhh another great DF Talk.. Thank You.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 02:09:07 pm »

Hearing Toady talk about the other dimensions got me really excited. Thanks for the great talk and to everyone who helped out.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 02:42:46 pm »

So that's where that conversation crash came from! I was wondering.

That "getting lost" mechanic sounds like it could also work nicely for dream lands and the like. ;)

The planes and dimensions and pocket worlds and the like should be interesting once they make it into the game. Perhaps not the "plane of nothing but fire" style planes, but they have their place, I guess. Between the analysis of Cado's Magical Journey and this Talk, I think pretty much all my questions regarding other planes are answered for the time being.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 04:32:39 pm »

I kept hearing Scamps, was poor Scamps hungry?  And scamps chitters to the squirrels to learn of the goings on within his empire and hand down his mandates.   Because Scamps rules over the entirety of the animal kingdom, and once he gets older he will become our new lord and master.

Either that or he's trying to tell the squirrel to sneak inside so he can kill it and proudly present it's gnawed corpse to you when he's finished torturing it.  One of the two.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 09:46:20 pm »

Whoo DF Talk! Interesting stuff this time, particularly the plane-swapping curse idea. Can't wait for the transcript so I can properly sink my teeth into this.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 01:54:19 pm »

I think the question on everybody's mind is when it comes to alternate planes is:

"Can we find a world where everything is made of candy and chocolate and where a human psychopath and his dark gnome minions try to kill you in creative and gruesome ways?"

Tweakd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 03:09:00 pm »

Hm, sad to hear that most of the supernatural and fae stuff would be sequestered off in a separate world instead of groves our forests in the real world. I hope we'll be given worldgen options to alter that sort of thing; I know I personally would rather if everything was in the world instead of planes. I was sort of hoping DF wouldn't go into that sort of thing too much, especially since we have a physically present hell already.

My train of thought exactly. At the very real risk of sounding pushy I hope that Toady actually reconsiders this stance. I think having biomes that had extremely rare randomisation procedures that turned them into more outlandish places would be preferable both in gameplay terms and coding time. Imagine a continent of lava flows and towering fire trees that could be conquered in fortress mode or make for great expeditions in adventurer mode. It would work well if these were rare.

I might be in a minority but adding different planes just doesn't sound like a good move to me. Perhaps Toady's vision is more solid than i imagine.

Anyway enough negatives. The highlight for me was hearing once again that the shift from 2d to 3d had an adverse effect of making the game easier. I honestly cant wait for cage traps that fail to catch every single goblin and more dangers from the environment. Can't quite see what those would be yet but I'll be eagerly awaiting news :)

Thanks for the cast guys.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 03:30:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure that those strange and wonderful lands will find their way into the main plane. Probably earlier than actually having alternate planes (perhaps outside the afterlife(s)) even. That's to my understanding one of the points of the "spherical lands" that'll eventually replace the good and evil lands.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 10:44:42 pm »

Glad you guys enjoyed this talk!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 10:52:40 pm »

Glad you guys enjoyed this talk!

Maybe we are just trying to force you into a false sense of security for when we do chose to strike.

Slazia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 12:45:27 am »

Yay! More stuff to keep us busy until the next release.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 10:40:29 am »

Maybe we are just trying to force you into a false sense of security for when we do chose to strike.

That won't be enough Neonivek.  My mind is like a still pond.  The moment you so much as make a ripple your reflection has been shattered.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 11:12:39 am »

That won't be enough Neonivek.  My mind is like a still pond.  The moment you so much as make a ripple your reflection has been shattered.

A Mirror shattered is but many mirrors freed.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 07:05:01 pm »

Can we have an idea about when the Transcript will come out?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4