Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #16: Feedback  (Read 37062 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #16: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 08:44:28 pm »

Can we have an idea about when the Transcript will come out?

It is sort of hard to tell, you have someone typing this all.

It has been out in a week all the way to a bit over a month. So there 7-45 days

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 11:00:33 pm »

Can we have an idea about when the Transcript will come out?

It is sort of hard to tell, you have someone typing this all.

It has been out in a week all the way to a bit over a month. So there 7-45 days

More pertinently, when did mallocks get this Talk? Normally he gets it early so he can get a head start on the transcript, but it doesn't always work out that way.

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 06:30:39 am »

Toady did send me this one early but I was out on holiday so told him to go ahead and release the cast. I can't offer an ETA but it's not an enormously long talk so shouldn't be anything like the extreme end of Neonivek's provided range.

As an aside, I'm fairly sure that I've already transcribed a record breaking (for Dwarf Fortress Talk) sentence from this one, at some 280+ words long.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 07:42:27 pm »

Adoption!  :D Yes! Could play into succession too, depending on the culture/laws of succession of that particular group, such as in the Roman Empire. I think it was common in Japanese culture to adopt a successor if your own son was a bit useless.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:43 pm »

As an aside, I'm fairly sure that I've already transcribed a record breaking (for Dwarf Fortress Talk) sentence from this one, at some 280+ words long.

They just keep putting you through extremes.  From sound effects to trumpet noises, to questions on whether or not to transcribe background meowing, to screams of pain, to extremely long grammatically dubious run on sentences.  We salute you and your carpel tunnel Mallocks.  I assume the non native English speakers do even more so.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:21 pm »

They just keep putting you through extremes.  From sound effects to trumpet noises, to questions on whether or not to transcribe background meowing, to screams of pain, to extremely long grammatically dubious run on sentences.  We salute you and your carpel tunnel Mallocks.  I assume the non native English speakers do even more so.

*salute*

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 03:31:50 pm »

*salutes mallocks*

So yeah, i'm currently waiting on the transcript, but from what i've read here there was some talk about an afterlife. If this is true, then i must humbly request that it be possible to fight our way through the demon hordes of hell and/or the angel armies of heaven in order to get back to the mortal world. Or failing that, the option to gain new abilities and fight for hell/heaven as an angel/demon, sort of like how in norse (i think it is) mythology exceptional mortal warriors get drafted to fight in Ragnarok.

Or make it possible to take a page from Blitukus Siegedriven's (A Kobold's Quest II, check the hall of legends) book and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »

*salutes mallocks*

So yeah, i'm currently waiting on the transcript, but from what i've read here there was some talk about an afterlife. If this is true, then i must humbly request that it be possible to fight our way through the demon hordes of hell and/or the angel armies of heaven in order to get back to the mortal world. Or failing that, the option to gain new abilities and fight for hell/heaven as an angel/demon, sort of like how in norse (i think it is) mythology exceptional mortal warriors get drafted to fight in Ragnarok.

Or make it possible to take a page from Blitukus Siegedriven's (A Kobold's Quest II, check the hall of legends) book and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is discussed, as well as the possibility of having a subsequent adventurer rescue a former adventurer, and they touch on some other shenanigans as well. Again, I don't often listen that closely and I'm waiting for the transcript to properly grok it.

Sidenote, Firefox knew that grok was a word! hooray!

Tel Riker

• Bay Watcher
  • [Probably_Alive]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 09:39:41 pm »

What? I shall be able to fight my way through the underworld in hopes of escaping? Sounds like FUN
!!NEW!!

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 03:03:38 pm »

A question-- do the spouses have to be the opposite gender?

Mostly for my own amusement.  "So which one in that elf couple is a girl"  "Dude, I don't think either of them are..."  "How can you tell?" 

"I'm not sure..."
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 06:33:53 pm »

Transcript, courtesy of mallocks
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 08:29:14 pm »

Huzzah mallocks! Huzzah DF Talk!

'And then I realized the terrible things I had done and went off to live in the wilderness'.

That bit made me laugh, and it seems like the kind of thing that I would do.

I also had the thought of making your entity a town or settlement or whatever, and then retiring there as mayor and starting new adventurers just to populate your town and make it important so you can hop back in your mayor with much more important decisions to make suddenly.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 03:31:40 am »

A question-- do the spouses have to be the opposite gender?

Mostly for my own amusement.  "So which one in that elf couple is a girl"  "Dude, I don't think either of them are..."  "How can you tell?" 

"I'm not sure..."
Toady's answered this before, I think in FotF. The answer is that they in fact only marry the opposite gender, but it's not due to a position he's taken or anything, and gayness will probably go in along with extramarital sex whenever he revisits that whole process. He mentioned that there probably won't be any particular discrimination against it in the same way as that there's no racism.

This is my best recollection, so minor inaccuracies are possible, but I think that's about right.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 01:30:08 pm »

I must say I'm really looking forward to the idea of legacy. In particular the ability to retire a fort is one of my most anticipated features. I like the idea of having you're fort actually go on to be a "living" part of the world even after you stop playing it. Not just an abandoned ruin, you know? Then there is the possibility of you having a long term effect on the world. Perhaps you could bring you're civ into a new age of prosperity by creating multiple successful fortresses. Perhaps you could "resurrect" a dead civ. Perhaps you could establish a breakaway civ. There is a lot of potential in the idea.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 07:59:03 am »

I'm excited about the concept of Legacy forts. Imagine being able to use a fort to damn a river or stream, then taking the time to pave the stream, setting up small checkpoints and outposts and then building a number of forts following the damned, paved stream. Then you could visit in adventure mode and have a remarkably safe set of roads into and out of every fort you build.

Or! Have a number of forts built and then set them up in Legacy mode, have the goblins systematically take over each fort, then fight in a combination of Adventure and Fortress modes to retake and ultimately end the Goblin push.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4