Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What if EA got the rights to Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 25804 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What if EA got the rights to Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 10:37:54 am »

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:42:31 am by Uthric »

Kastrol Aslaasri

• Bay Watcher
  • Endut! Hoch Hech!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 10:53:11 am »

I remember the good old Ultima Online........ before EA. Good times.
And Lord of Ultima.... that is blasphemy (and not Sparta)
She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.
I love this game so much.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 10:54:43 am »

I remember Lionhead... no wait that is microsoft...

I remember Bullfrog.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 11:01:44 am »

kind of raged at this, not gonna lie
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 11:18:59 am »

Yeah EA are the worst... They ruin EVERYTHING. Bastards.

I remember when the new NFS games used to actually be GOOD.

R.I.P NFS </3
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 01:56:12 pm »

If EA got the rights, I'd never update again.

Weep, too. I'd definitely weep.

Then I'd probably rename elves to EA grunts and learn to play adventure mode.

Your summary sounds about right though, especially the part where you end with gold armor. Does it make sense? No. Would EA do it? Oh yeah.

If EA got the rights and you didn't update, and kept playing the old one, they'd probably sue you for piracy.  $20,000 for every stone you mined after acquisition.

The software titan Electronic Arts has come!  A huge blob composed of the reanimated corpses of former software companies.  Its hunger and greed are eternal.  It spouts nonsense and gibberish with its many mouths.  It moves its will in accordance with the opposite of the truth of things.
Beware its deadly lawyers!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:07:03 pm by Makbeth »
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 02:12:57 pm »

EA: Dumb it down and slap DRM on it!

EA: Pump and dump applied to game series!

EA: Buying out all the good games and ruining them worse then our original competitors!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »

EA: Buying out all the good games and ruining them worse then our original competitors!

EA: Don't like it? Well too bad because the market sides with us. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:46 pm »

EA: Don't like it? Well too bad because the market sides with us. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!
EA: Nostalgia can go the way of the dodo. Nogo.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »

Your summary sounds about right though, especially the part where you end with gold armor. Does it make sense? No. Would EA do it? Oh yeah.

If EA got the rights and you didn't update, and kept playing the old one, they'd probably sue you for piracy.  $20,000 for every stone you mined after acquisition.

They cannot, they are not allowed to:

*** COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ****************************

Copyright (c) 2002-2011.  All rights are retained by Tarn Adams, save the following:  you may redistribute the binary and accompanying files, unmodified, provided you do so free of charge.  If you'd like to distribute a modified version of the game or portion of the archive and are worried about copyright infringement, please contact Tarn Adams at toadyone@bay12games.com.

This software is still in development, and this means that there are going to be problems, including serious problems that, however unlikely, might damage your system or the information stored on it.  Please be aware of this before playing.

The underlined part of this quote is a right that Toady has given up, and as such, cannot take back except as part of a new license agreement -- one that has to be part of a new download.

We are downloading Dwarf Fortress under this software license, and as such, it cannot be rescinded. If they make their own version, and start releasing it under a new license, only their version will be under the new license. We would be entitled to continue distributing these versions of Dwarf Fortress amongst ourselves and with others provided we include everything as-is. EA wouldn't be able to say shit about it. Toady would likely have to stop distribution on his end as part of a non-compete clause though.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 02:28:46 pm »

They cannot, they are not allowed to:

*** COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ****************************

Copyright (c) 2002-2011.  All rights are retained by Tarn Adams, save the following:  you may redistribute the binary and accompanying files, unmodified, provided you do so free of charge.  If you'd like to distribute a modified version of the game or portion of the archive and are worried about copyright infringement, please contact Tarn Adams at toadyone@bay12games.com.

This software is still in development, and this means that there are going to be problems, including serious problems that, however unlikely, might damage your system or the information stored on it.  Please be aware of this before playing.

The underlined part of this quote is a right that Toady has given up, and as such, cannot take back except as part of a new license agreement -- one that has to be part of a new download.

We are downloading Dwarf Fortress under this software license, and as such, it cannot be rescinded. If they make their own version, and start releasing it under a new license, only their version will be under the new license. We would be entitled to continue distributing these versions of Dwarf Fortress amongst ourselves and with others provided we include everything as-is. EA wouldn't be able to say shit about it. Toady would likely have to stop distribution on his end as part of a non-compete clause though.

Yeah, it was a joke.  Besides, EA probably has a daily power tucked away somewhere where they can expend a standard action to rewrite the laws.

"By continuing to use the alpha of Dwarf Fortress (TM), you agree to the updated terms and conditions found at www.ea.com/FU.htm".

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:49:55 pm by Makbeth »
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 02:35:29 pm »

Yeah, it was a joke.  Besides, EA probably has a daily power tucked away somewhere where they can expend a standard action to rewrite the laws.

"By continuing to use the alpha of Dwarf Fortress (TM), you agree to the updated terms and conditions found at www.ea.com/FU.htm".

Edit: Is there a way to not hyperlink a piece of text in the url format?  I thought it wouldn't make an active link without a URL tag.
Place a formatting tag opening and closing in the middle of it.

Code: [Select]
www[i][/i].ea.com/FU.htm
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 02:51:25 pm »

Edit: Is there a way to not hyperlink a piece of text in the url format?  I thought it wouldn't make an active link without a URL tag.
Place a formatting tag opening and closing in the middle of it.

Code: [Select]
www[i][/i].ea.com/FU.htm

Thanks.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 03:11:18 pm »

Regrettably, my only experience with Ultima comes from borrowing IX from a library...
...It's nice to hear it was a good series at some point before that. [shudder]

I haven't read everything from this post, but the reference to Populous and what EA is doing with it..
Well.. ehm.. is http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/populous-syndicate-xcom.php actually serious?

I remember populous as a Hippy world builder and this is just strage..
I assure you, this is not true. Do not panic. Note that that is one of the only places on the internet where the name of that "game" even comes up.

That all said, while EA does occasionally make a good game... the potentially good games they manage to butcher outnumber them by quite a bit.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 04:48:30 pm »

More specificly, they make a good game, then butcher it up and release that as a sequel.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6