Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computer Problem (Graphics card/drivers)  (Read 883 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Computer Problem (Graphics card/drivers)
« on: October 08, 2011, 01:08:30 pm »

Hey there, Bay 12. I was wondering if anyone knew what do about a problem I've been having. My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT.

To put it quite simply, my screen always looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those checkered sets of lines draw over everything, and include portions of the screen which have been moved laterally, but are mostly white/gray, and shifts around frequently (edit: upon trying different colored screens, they seem to consist of stuff that was meant to be drawn somewhere else, not just white). This occurs as soon as the computer is on, even in the BIOS. I would sometimes get something like that when playing games, for a few seconds before getting a message that says "amdkmdap has stopped working and has recovered", when the graphics settings were too intensive. It originally started when my brother was simply playing minecraft, though, and hasn't gone away since. That basically concludes what I know about the problem, but I can narrow out some causes. Firstly, the monitor and monitor cable are fine, I tested them on another computer (and besides that, the problem obviously shows up in a screenshot- I just used printscreen). I've also tried updating to the latest graphics drivers- however, I'm not sure if I already did have the latest drivers and if they're corrupted or the like, they might not have been replaced. Really hope it's not a problem with my graphics card itself, but I've yet to try the card in another computer. I have dual monitor support, and I get the same problem on both sockets, so it's not a problem with the socket.

Any help appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:14:52 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Red

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Problem (Graphics card/drivers)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »

Unfortunately, That sounds like its a problem with the card.

You might want to check and see if the connection between the card and the motherboard hasn't gotten loose or something.

Trying to install an older version of the drivers might be worth a shot, just to make sure there's not a problem there.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »

I had an issue like this, and I unfortunately ended up having to replace the card, however there are a few things you can try doing before that.
*Use a driver removal tool to get clean drivers
*Remove the card, clean it's fan and slot, and reseat it.
*Stay on the line with the manufacturer, and attempt to wheel and deal with them, I have done this with some local tech companies, but I have no idea how ATI does things.

(Disclaimer: I am in no way very knowledge on this subject, my experience is from issues with graphics cards not extensive research)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:41:20 pm by PsyberianHusky »
Thank you based dwarf.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 08:54:43 pm »

For the record, I did remove/replace the card and clean out the computer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 08:57:57 pm »

Have you tried to upgrade or downgrade the drivers?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »

Based on the fact that the lines appear in the bios and in the operating system, combined with confirming it's not a monitor problem, to me indicates that your videocard is dead/dying, but it could also be the connection between your motherboard and card screwing up.

If you've already tried cleaning the card, I'd say try using a different video card and seeing if the problem persists, and try using your videocard in a different computer.

If you want my non-expert opinion, the RAM on your videocard has gone bad, and it's being accessed incorrectly or in an othewise corrupt fashion - that would probably result in the checkboard patterning you see.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.