Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Digging in real life  (Read 7275 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Digging in real life
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 08:34:42 pm »

I call engineer!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »

Move to lightning ridge. Build a castle over the tunnel you just dug.

No seriously, some guy really did that, it is called Amigo's castle, and it is built on top of an opal mine, each brick hand laid.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those darn opal miners have waaay too much free time on their hands.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 08:43:05 pm »

Hmm... I'm pretty sure I could dig a nice tunnel network out by my dad's place... I assume I don't have to worry about gas or sewage or electricity or any of that stuff. After all, if I did then the house would probably have those things!

Actually, I think it has electricity now, but I can get the plans that say where it runs. There's a decent hillside about a quarter-mile from the house that would make a really prime spot too...

I used to tunnel constantly when I was little. Lucky I never hit anything with my spade I guess. I did collapse the pool once, much to my Mom's dismay. (I did not believe in supports back then. Also, I may have been trying to, I can't recall, heh)

If you want a good tunnel, I understand your best bet is keeping it narrow and having regular supports. Crawl spaces to rooms are easier and more stable  than full tunnels, and also something something about ventilation? I remember that being a big deal...

Anyways, solid rock is definitely the most fun to dig in and doesn't need supports, but be prepared for it to take just shy of forever to get anywhere. But oh my is swinging that pick fun. Mmmmmmm....

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 08:44:03 pm »

Lightning Ridge is tempting, but it would be an understatement to label that a big move.  Plus, I'm wary of Australia's government these days.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 08:45:33 pm »

Eh, there harmless. Stupid as shot cows, but harmless.
Well, the one with the ears is a little sneaky, but nobody likes him anyway.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »

But oh my is swinging that pick fun. Mmmmmmm....

I've always wanted to do this.  Just like I've always wanted the opportunity to tear down a house with a sledgehammer.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 08:55:19 pm »

Wouldn't you be better off with a crow bar and sledge hammer than a pick? Also, get gloves, because digging blisters the hell out of your hands.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 01:16:46 am »

Hmm... I'm pretty sure I could dig a nice tunnel network out by my dad's place... I assume I don't have to worry about gas or sewage or electricity or any of that stuff. After all, if I did then the house would probably have those things!

This could easily wind up filed under "famous last words". Seriously, you have absolutely no way of knowing where some random-ass pipeline or fiberoptic cable is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 04:50:45 am »

Wouldn't you be better off with a crow bar and sledge hammer than a pick? Also, get gloves, because digging blisters the hell out of your hands.
Do you know that first hand, or are you just quoting Holes?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 04:58:38 am »

This could easily wind up filed under "famous last words". Seriously, you have absolutely no way of knowing where some random-ass pipeline or fiberoptic cable is.
Well, if his dad lives in the outback, and has been living there for quite a while, he'd know. This is a pretty good assumption as he has no sewer, electricity or gas connected to his house. I don't think "fiberoptic cables" have been around for very long, either.
Seriously, you have no way of knowing whether he has any way of knowing. Random-ass pipelines and cables don't just grow in the ground.

Edit: unfortunately, I live in a densely populated country that has decided everything should be below ground, so you can't put a spade in the earth without hitting a cable or pipe. Makes gardening a hell.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:12 am »

You do have to admit the likelihood of them being in the middle of a nearly unoccupied and fairly old forest bordered by several lakes in northern New Hampshire are probably slim, though. Not impossible, of course.

Actually, heck, there's an Island right off shore - that's probably even less likely to have anything, and it's probably got plenty of height in the middle for doing some digging while staying above the water line... hmm...

On another note, anyone know who to go to to check for stuff like that?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 05:16:36 am »

In the UK there are companies who will do a full mapping utilities search for you for a few hundred quid.

You could do the labour yourself by contacting local companies who may have infrastructure in the area, some of them may choose to charge you for the service but others might be free. In the UK, for instance all communications companies will respond to you if you let them know you are digging in the local area. Natural Gas lines also provide maps free, but the water and the drainage people will give you a nominal charge for carrying out the search. Do a bit of research in to the local suppliers / operators and contact them directly, they should have a local infrastructure records department.

Thoughts on what we would look for in the UK:
Natural Gas operators
Below Ground Drainage
Mains Water
Electrical / Power Distribution
Communications Companies (this has always been a bit more unregulated in the UK, so there are potentially lots of people to contact)
Historic mining in the area? Coal miners, tin miners, etc? Depends on where you are, but if there have been operations, bear it in mind.

Also if you do get all the maps and you can't see anything, it is no guarantee that the ground is clear, particularly if you are in a built-up area. Also if you do come across some service, please assume it's live, whether it's on a drawing or not.

Also: Underground tanks and unexploded ordnance are another good one, of which only direct surveying can pick up (pay someone a couple of grand to do a radar survey, if you are really keen).

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 06:14:38 am »

Double-post, due to slow connection
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:17:24 am by Starver »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 06:16:08 am »

it would be the coolest thing ever to have a dungeon deep underground.
An underground tower?  That's novel![/archaic pedantry]

:)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 11:12:28 am »

Move to lightning ridge. Build a castle over the tunnel you just dug.

No seriously, some guy really did that, it is called Amigo's castle, and it is built on top of an opal mine, each brick hand laid.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those darn opal miners have waaay too much free time on their hands.

Those sure look like stones to me, not bricks.

There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4