Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Digging in real life  (Read 7287 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging in real life
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »

Contributing to thread:

Underground
 * Empty plots of land are routinely available for very cheap. I once bought a third of an acre in Lake Arrowhead, California with water, electrical and road access and less than 2 miles from a major freeway for only a few thousand dollars.
 * Digging by hand is slow and miserable. Digging anything big enough to move around in with a pick and shovel will take weeks. Expect to spend your first day digging something up to your knees, then being too tired and missing too much flesh on your hands to be able to continue for a few days.
 * To avoid all that, consider renting a CAT. It will only be one or two hundred dollars a day and no certification is required.
 * Construction, structural concerns, and much else can be vastly simplified via use of steel shipping containers. Last I checked these are about $2000 each new, so it does increase costs considerably, but encase one of those things in concrete with proper drainage and footing, and it will be sturdier than the house you're in.

Castles
To the people expressing interest in building castles, I suggest you look into rammed earth. It is both easier to work with and much cheaper than stone, though not always appropriate in moist climates.

Buy one already built
If the 6 to 7 figure price tag is acceptable, for sheer awesomeness, it's tough to beat a Nuclear Silo.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:13:54 pm by LordBucket »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 12:31:33 pm »

These guys look like the best resource out there for castle building.  Even if you don't hire them, just hints at their techniques given on their website are useful.

Those nuclear silos do look pretty damn awesome, though.  Where'd I leave that extra $5 mil?

Your rammed earth suggestion reminds me of earthships, which are my second choice of awesome housing behind castle.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 03:35:40 pm »

I have dug alot.
I usually dig in snow and when its dirt i usually just dig 1 meter holes.
We got alot of clay where i live, so when i was small me and my friend dug a hole all they way to some clay, and we kept digging, we got lots of nice and clean(even safe to drink) water and fine clay, then we found gravel and then a little pocket of stinking gas, we had fun, the site was a 2 meter hole and lots of little 25 cm basins around for clay cleaning etc.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]