Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Digging in real life  (Read 7225 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging in real life
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 01:45:15 am »

And make sure that absolutely nothing important is in the tunnel's path. Or over it. If you can't guarantee that, don't dig.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 02:36:49 am »

Be wary of;

- underground pipes.
- underground cables.
- sewer tunnels.
- accidentally subsiding building/roadworks/etc.
- burying yourself alive. Nobody can help you in that case.

It's the last point that stopped me from digging myself a man-sized rabbit hole. Sort of like Yoda's hangout, but underground.
You can't really do it in your back garden, and the best place to do it is in the local woodlands. But if it collapses, you will never be found.

What's that film called, about the blonde 12 year ok'd that gets murdered by that paedo in glasses, then watches over her family from heaven as he begins to target her little sister?

Talk to the paedo. He made a pretty cool underground hangout.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 02:39:29 am »

It's the last point that stopped me from digging myself a man-sized rabbit hole. Sort of like Yoda's hangout, but underground.
You can't really do it in your back garden, and the best place to do it is in the local woodlands. But if it collapses, you will never be found.

What's that film called, about the blonde 12 year ok'd that gets murdered by that paedo in glasses, then watches over her family from heaven as he begins to target her little sister?

Sigged
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 02:52:08 am »

Sigged

A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 04:05:21 am »

I've often fantasized about digging tunnels too. I'm watching this topic.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 05:51:10 am »

The Lovely Bones?
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 05:56:01 am »

Move to lightning ridge. Dig random tunnels for a living.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 07:15:14 pm »

I always wanted to actually dig a tunnel network. Too bad I live in a place where the original biomes are pretty much swamp, sand and solid rock hills.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 08:53:49 pm »

Call before you dig. I cannot stress that enough. I farmer once hit a pressurized natural gas pipe with a post hole driller, neither him, nor his tractor were ever found.

Now if only I could find that e-mail...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 09:01:54 pm »

And make sure it's legal to begin with, obviously.

But yeah, the last thing you want is to A) kill yourself because you hit something dangerous like a gas main, high pressure water/other pipe, or your tunnel just plain collapses, B) be responsible for damaging something really expensive, financially or legally or publically, or C) get in legal trouble for digging without a permit, especially on land that's not your own.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 04:26:35 am »

D) Accidentally reveal a cavern, with a Forgotten Beast within charging/slithering/stomping range of your incursion.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 10:32:00 am »

D) Accidentally reveal a cavern, with a Forgotten Beast within charging/slithering/stomping range of your incursion.

^ true story, especially if your town/city is built ontop of disused mine shafts.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:42 pm »

I dig... in real life. Usually pits in the ground that are 2 meters deep. Its cause I live in a farm where we grow goats. But as we all know goats are morons so they die a lot... And I have to dig their graves. I hate this job. True story.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 01:16:26 pm »

Yeah you should definitely check out any blueprints or plans for the nearby area, hitting a gas line or electric line could not only kill you but might also cause some very expensive damage for your estate to then cover after you are dead. All in all though one of the most important things that I would suggest checking on would be the type of soil/rock that you are digging in and the possible types of supports that could be used with the given soil type. This is a very important thing to make sure that it is done right, as all of us would hate to see you in tomorrow's newspaper as "that crazy guy who managed to bury himself alive by digging a tunnel without the right type of supports".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 08:31:07 pm »

Watching, because I've also thought about this.

Especially now that my wife got me fantasizing about building a castle... it would be the coolest thing ever to have a dungeon deep underground.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4