Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea.  (Read 35501 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 06:06:00 am »

Try putting roads around the well.

I've made some observations in 40d (since I'm still playing that version) that may or may not be directly applicable to 31.25, but whenever a road is placed, paved or dirt, it removes everything like mud and blood and snow beneath it. Paved roads have the additional function of continuing to remove the stuff after they are constructed.

I didn't have the time to test this completely in 31.25, but I put a paved road made of wood on a snowy embark, and it kept itself snow free until I removed it. No idea if it works on other contaminants like mud and such. (It does in 40d.)

Apologies if this is completely erroneous advice.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:07 am »

Wait, wait, wait...
Correct me if I'm missing something, but hasn't Sphalerite indeed already created a wondrous device?  I recall several threads, the Dwarven Child Care among them, where finding a method of inducing controlled burn to eliminate bodyfat was a concern.  If I understand correctly, using this ‼Well‼ resulted in the dwarf melting much of his fat, but surviving?  If this is repeatable, could you use burrows and locked doors to rotate which dwarf was attempting to use the Incinerwell before they die of bloodloss, and create a fireproof militia? 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 09:13:34 am »

Magma doesn't generate mist when it falls.  Magma mist is generated when a cave-in drops a wall or floor section into a standing body of magma.  That renders the entire "magma mister" design debunk.

You could burn selective dwarves via well access, but I honestly think you'll have better luck setting a table or chair on fire, as these generate eating jobs more reliably and can be set an owner, who can be selectively set aflame.  An artifact bed would suffice as well, but something tells me that the dwarf would lay down, catch on fire, and get a full night's rest before burning to death, instead of canceling job like any rational creature.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 09:18:53 am »

An artifact bed would suffice as well, but something tells me that the dwarf would lay down, catch on fire, and get a full night's rest before burning to death, instead of canceling job like any rational creature.
Indeed.  The dwarf using my !!well!! didn't cancel his job until the cistern boiled dry.  Even forbidding the well didn't stop him from repeatedly trying to get a full bucket of water out of it.

His description states that his head and body are melted, although despite that he seems to be uninjured, not requiring diagnosis, and perfectly content to go about his work.  He left a hell of a blood trail around the fortress after getting melted.  His description doesn't day anything about fat being gone - would it show up there like missing body parts usually do?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 09:26:37 am »

Is his melted fat appearing as a red injury display or a purple/black "existing scar" display?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 09:39:09 am »

Neither.  He doesn't seem to have any injuries at all.  He did show "Her head is melted, her body is melted" in his description for a moment, but those seem to be gone now.  The only sign that he even used the !!well!! I can find is the trail of blood, and the "He choked on smoke underground" thought.  I don't think I succeeded in melting his fat, just created a lot of blood.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:56 am »

Has anyone thought of using a double z-level for this? Raise the well above the rest of the room, then flood the with magma. Simple.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 09:46:59 am »

my first thought about that problem: can you set a door/floodgate on fire? and if, does it still keep burning if opened?

So can you place an artefact door on the only moveble part next to the well and let it burn the blood/whatever, when the dorf leaves the well? or ould it kill the dorf first?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 09:49:00 am »

Hatches and grates are known to stay alight when opened, I assume doors are the same.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 09:59:14 am »

Yeah, I thought of placing a burning statue or grate or other piece of furniture next to the space where the dwarf stands when using the well.  That would burn away any contamination while still leaving the well usable.  I suspect that the heat would still be enough to start the dwarf bleeding and/or set them on fire.

I think I'm going to go with the automated magma purge idea instead.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 10:09:35 am »

I dunno, I'm rather fond of burning dwarves...  Plus they may not be close enough for long enough to actually hurt.

Lamiales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 11:12:00 am »

Magma doesn't generate mist when it falls.  Magma mist is generated when a cave-in drops a wall or floor section into a standing body of magma.  That renders the entire "magma mister" design debunk.

Take another look at it. It's not supposed to create magma mist, that's just from the name of the water based design. The tile where the dwarf is standing to clean himself will be filled with magma that circles around, unless a dwarf is standing there or on the way to it. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 11:15:02 am »

the "magma mister" listed earlier actually would work (as lamiales says, almost ninja'd there)... it would generate no magma mist, but it would repeatedly magma-sear contaminants from the only square the well is accessible from.  The only problem is if the blasted thing leaks somehow.  I think the impassible terrain in the standard mister is just to prevent job cancel spam from dwarves pathing through the sometimes-watery square... still, best to make the well magma safe, and be able to seal up its corridor.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 12:33:07 pm »

Then a magma safe well and a few ramps should increase security.  There's still the off chance that the magma will flow down the well, which is very bad.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »

Girlinhat is right. Sphalerite is incapable of doing anything non-amazing.

Surprising Necro910 isn't here yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4

As stated, contaminants seem to follow their own set of rules, and atom smashing isn't reliable.  Purge it with fire.
The Necro910 Method is quite effective.

You're nearly a meme unto yourself now, Necro.

I think I've discovered why I'm not quite satisfied with my fort.  I have my own Project Fuck The World, a trapped bridge that creates a rain of goblin body parts directly into my refuse pile (and fort entrance) 40 z levels below almost every season, enough candy to build floors with, and an army of titan-slaying badasses, but I don't have any !!dwarves!!, !!wells!!, !!booze!!, !!artifacts!! or !!ballista bolts!!.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7