Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea.  (Read 35475 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea.
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 03:22:26 pm »

Girlinhat is right. Sphalerite is incapable of doing anything non-amazing.

Surprising Necro910 isn't here yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4

As stated, contaminants seem to follow their own set of rules, and atom smashing isn't reliable.  Purge it with fire.
The Necro910 Method is quite effective.

You're nearly a meme unto yourself now, Necro.

I think I've discovered why I'm not quite satisfied with my fort.  I have my own Project Fuck The World, a trapped bridge that creates a rain of goblin body parts directly into my refuse pile (and fort entrance) 40 z levels below almost every season, enough candy to build floors with, and an army of titan-slaying badasses, but I don't have any !!dwarves!!, !!wells!!, !!booze!!, !!artifacts!! or !!ballista bolts!!.
The Necro910 Effect is the answer to all your problems.

One day, I shall be forever engraved into the wiki. That shall be a glorious day of magma, cupcakes, and ‼all that is Necro‼

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »

And I was the first to use "Necro910 Method"? Which spurned the use of "Necro910 Effect"? Scary...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:43 pm »

Try putting roads around the well.

I've made some observations in 40d (since I'm still playing that version) that may or may not be directly applicable to 31.25, but whenever a road is placed, paved or dirt, it removes everything like mud and blood and snow beneath it. Paved roads have the additional function of continuing to remove the stuff after they are constructed.

I didn't have the time to test this completely in 31.25, but I put a paved road made of wood on a snowy embark, and it kept itself snow free until I removed it. No idea if it works on other contaminants like mud and such. (It does in 40d.)

Apologies if this is completely erroneous advice.
If this works, it would also be a solution to the problem of "dwarven bathtubs fill up with contaminants"... Has anyone tested this?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 03:57:41 pm »

I've made some observations in 40d (since I'm still playing that version) that may or may not be directly applicable to 31.25, but whenever a road is placed, paved or dirt, it removes everything like mud and blood and snow beneath it. Paved roads have the additional function of continuing to remove the stuff after they are constructed.

I didn't have the time to test this completely in 31.25, but I put a paved road made of wood on a snowy embark, and it kept itself snow free until I removed it. No idea if it works on other contaminants like mud and such. (It does in 40d.)

If this works, it would also be a solution to the problem of "dwarven bathtubs fill up with contaminants"... Has anyone tested this?

I'll admit I haven't, but I worry that trying to have a square of paved road and a ramp in the same tile at the bottom of the tub won't work out.  Not sure though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 04:03:34 pm »

I'm 80% certain you can't build a road on a ramp, as they can only be built on "floor" tiles.  Although as far as bathtubs go, I'd be willing to measure and drop magma to cast obsidian, and then dig it out so that I could measure and drop water to reset it nicely.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 04:09:47 pm »

The well would sit at the end of a short corridor. The corridor would be lined with pressure plates all the way to the side of the well. These pressure plates would stop just one pump in an otherwise continual magma mister built in the four-pumps-in-a-squarcle design with one corner over the ground next to the well (right where a dwarf would leave a pile of grime).

The problem I see with this is how to get all those pressure plates to all just stop the pump. A pressure plate connected to a gear assembly toggles the gear. So the first plate would turn the gear off. Then the second plate would toggle it back on, and so forth. Plus toggles coming from the plates resetting.  It might work if things work like this:

1) dwarf goes onto first plate. gear toggled off
2) dwarf leaves first plate and goes onto second plate. first plate toggles pump back on, second plate toggles it back off.
3) repeat for the rest of the plates.

But I'm not sure the timing would work out right.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 04:22:45 pm »

He he, this could actually have been usefull the other day when a forgotten beast with rotten blood managed to decimate my whole population through dwarves swiming in her blood for fun (someone dragged the corpse from the caverns through the whole fortress leaving a lot of blood to get infected on, a lot of fun sure...).

Since I was half asleep at that time I just noticed a lot of smoke appearing in the whole fortress, then realised most of my fort was rotting.... !!FUN!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 05:07:54 pm »

I just did.  Building a road destroys any contamination on that spot, but does not prevent new contamination from occurring.  I built a lovely aluminum road by the wells, and it's already got pools of blood on it.  I suspect this was the case in 40d, where grates and other buildings would prevent blood and other stuff from gathering, but it's not in the current version.

I'll have to go back to setting things on fire.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 05:14:19 pm »

Why not use something like this:

╔═╗
║o║

╚!!═
where o=well and !!=burning artifact

So there is only one square where dwarfs can use the well, and its right next to the fire.  This will probably result in a lot of injured dwarves and much !!Fun!!, but it might also keep your well area clean.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »

You could build a dwarven bathtub in such a manner that dwarves have to stand in it to use the well or path through it to get there.  Not sure that would prevent re-contamination, but it's worth a shot if the magma proves too hard to engineer.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 05:17:55 pm »

Someone should test this.  I'm sure there is a way to automate it using a simple timing device (pull a lever to start when all the dwarves are out and it runs and finishes automatically)

I plan to use a setup where the 8 tiles around the well are the source tile for 8 pumps above.  The pumps pump into a magma cistern and are powered from above.  Around the 8 tiles are floor grates.  The four corners of the room and three of the walls (the fourth having an entrance floodgate) contain floodgates leading to magma cisterns.  The magma travels down a 2 long hallway before the floodgate (making a 3 hallway when the gates are down) to reduce its flow rate.  The grates below lead to a reservoir for magma.

The magma flows into the room and fills the reservoir and then flows onto the 8 pump source tiles, where the pumps promptly pick it up and pump it away before it can enter the well.  This burns away the contaminants regardless.  I then open the floodgates to the lower area where the magma drops to a safe level through the grates and there should be no issue.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 05:21:42 pm »

I just did.  Building a road destroys any contamination on that spot, but does not prevent new contamination from occurring.

I will vouch for this. I have pave roads around my wells too, this however, does not stop the entities from washing off their contaminants onto the road they're standing on.

If you have a pile of contaminants floating above a 7/7 pool of magma directly below it, would the heat be close enough for it to boil away? For example, Urist comes to the well and uses it to wash off some blood, this blood lands on a hatch keeping Urist from plummeting to a firery death. When this hatch opens, the contaminants won't fall into the magma, but might however, be subjected to the heat from it.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 05:25:53 pm »

Why not set up a pressure plate that dumps a 1/1 level of magma when the dwarf leaves the well zone.  Say, make a 1-way path past the well using pressure plates and hatches.  Dwarf paths into the well zone, washes himself, when he leaves (and is not standing next to the well) a measured 1/7 of magma drops next to the well where it cleans and eventually evaporates.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 05:30:33 pm »

I could propose a complicated timer setup.  Basically the 100 step repeater, link that such that one of the stages is right over the well access, and then prime and fire it with magma.  It will pump magma in a circle, and regularly come back to briefly bathe the well access in magma.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 06:01:55 pm »

Do dwarves even do any cleaning? I know there's a cleaning job that all dwarves have on by default but I've never actually seen one do it before, but then again, I've never actually had a dedicated cleaner. Maybe the solution to dirty wells is to assign somebody in the fortress to act as the resident bathroom scrubber.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7