Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea.  (Read 35272 times)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea.
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

I'm not sure how hot it would have to be to get rid of contaminants, or if it's possible to remove them without burning dwarves as well, but could one place burning items or magma either right next to or directly above/below the tiles that would be dirty? (The magma would of course be only above/below.) I remember hearing that heat travels through floors and such, to the point that materials will melt if they are sitting on a floor above magma for too long.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2012, 01:38:00 pm »

Magma under the floor won't remove contamination from a tile.  I've tried, it doesn't work.  A burning object in the adjacent tile will remove contamination, but will also set your dwarves on fire.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2012, 01:42:37 pm »

Is there any way to automatically raise objects from one z-level to another?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »

There's no reliable way.  You can use a bridge to fling an object, but the direction of travel is completely random.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2012, 01:46:57 pm »

Maybe in the next release you can send a minecart full of flaming artifacts by the well whenever a dwarf is done with it. :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2012, 01:51:42 pm »

Maybe in the next release you can send a minecart full of flaming artifacts by the well whenever a dwarf is done with it. :P

An awesome idea.  I'll have to try that.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2012, 01:55:17 pm »

There are a few designs I've been meaning to try to deal with the problem of contamination.  Haven't got around to it yet though.  Is there a way to cheat a contaminant onto a square?  That would make research simpler.

Design 1: If you build top-down, a continually running 2 pump stack will move fluids through a tile-- without that tile ever having fluid at the end of the tick, or ever having fluid when dwarves decide to move.  Using magma, this can create a tile that's bathed in magma (potentially every tick) but is not impassable.

I've mentioned this before, and people are still coming up with complicated plans for dwarven liposuction, but this is a simple and perfectly reliable method.  A dwarf that spends enough time in a tile bathed in zero-tick magma will lose fat.  With an unpressurized reservoir, 0-tick magma is on a cycle of about 30 ticks, and a dwarf accepting a long enough job in that tile (deconstructing a wall, for instance) will eventually lose all of his fat, without job interruption.  The cycle can be reduced to a single tick by using a pressurized magma reservoir.

I'm not sure how this would affect contaminants in the 0-tick magma tile.  Testing with water would be worthwhile as well.

Design 2: If you build a bottom-up, continually running 2 pump stack, fluid will exist in a tile for a single tick, about every 30 ticks.  Normally, this isn't very useful, because fluids can flow in even a single tick.  They cannot, however, fall, not on the tick they're pumped.  Building a grate (with open space underneath) under your 1-tick fluid square allows you to bathe a tile in a constant cycle of fluid, without fluid loss.  It's not totally clear if this will remove contaminants, or if it will interrupt dwarves that take too long to complete a job in the affected tile.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »

Why not use something like this:

╔═╗
║o║

╚!!═
where o=well and !!=burning artifact

So there is only one square where dwarfs can use the well, and its right next to the fire.  This will probably result in a lot of injured dwarves and much !!Fun!!, but it might also keep your well area clean.

╔!!═
║X
║o║
║X
╚!!═

Make two access points with floodgates. Toggle them, manually or with a timer, so that only one gate is ever open at a time.
Also coal or graphite or even large diamonds will burn for a long time.  No need to wait for an artifact.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »

A system to stop magma from plugging a well wouldn't be that hard, and might actually be simpler than a lot of these plans. Pumps are perfect vacuum cleaners. All you need is an eternal pump that vacuums up any fluids that fall down the well. Magma and accidental floods with stagnant water will pose no threat.

I have other kinds of dwarf washing equipment though, and wells tend to be in meeting areas to help clean up the inevitable blood spatters.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »

There's no reliable way.  You can use a bridge to fling an object, but the direction of travel is completely random.

So if you build something like this:

Code: [Select]
#####
#  ##
##_o#
###|#
###|#

Where the '_' is a bridge, and the o a well, and placed a burning item on the bridge and then raised it, would it necessarily end up on the spot to the left, or would it have a good chance of falling back to the ground on top of the bridge?
Live bait.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2012, 04:39:33 pm »

If you use a raising drawbridge with that design, the flaming object will be destroyed when you raise the bridge.

If you use a retracting bridge, there is a slight chance the object would land on the spot to the left, and a slight chance it would be flung down the well, but it would be most likely to either go nowhere or fly up and then fall back down on the bridge.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »

Rather than canceling the job, the dwarf lowered the bucket again ... repeating the cycle over and over again, until the cistern boiled dry and the job canceled.  He then walked away, leaving the burning chain lowered to the lowest level of the cistern, and also leaving a trail of blood as most of his fat had melted out at this point.

"You!  There!  Are you a Dwarf?  Are you fat, and soft, and easily confused for a fat human baby?  We will fix you!   I'm Urist McGetBuff, and I'm here to tell you about the leanest, meanest, fire-y-iest, dwarviest workout program of all time! First you lift the bucket.  Then you lower the bucket.  Let the flames do all of the work for you!"

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2014, 04:42:24 am »

Well, since someone else already necroed the thread, I'll ask:  has anyone tried the flaming minecart method of well cleaning yet?

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »

I'm wondering if you couldn't make a permanent-on-fire minecart transportation system that would do nothing but melt the fat of the inhabitants.  Probably burn them alive, but you can't pioneer cutting-edge dwarf training methods without incinerating a few dozen dwarves.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2014, 02:34:52 pm »

It would probably be more controllable to have the fire outside the minecart next to the track, and you control exposure by either passing the cart by the flame faster to reduce exposure or slowing the cart or sending it by again for extra exposure.  I don't know how dwarf thermodynamics handles minecarts, though.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7