Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea.  (Read 35011 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a !!well!! was a terrible idea.
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:02 pm »

So, you drop magma from above, it passes through a floor grate by the well, and is caught by a pump under the grate?  A sort of magma replaced mist generator?

Basically yes, except it doesn't generate mist.  Magma mist seems to only be generated by cave-ins.  If this was dropping water, it would be a mist generator.
..You do realize who it is you're explaining this to, right?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2011, 07:34:27 pm »

See, now I have to make a counter-creation, which should be this, except that it then generates a waterfall, just in case any dwarves are caught in the fire.  By which I mean "I'm locking them in and catching them on fire briefly".

Also, could you link the grate to a lever, and use it to drop the dwarves down a level before activating the magma?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2011, 07:35:44 pm »

Also, could you link the grate to a lever, and use it to drop the dwarves down a level before activating the magma?
I could, but I'm not sure what the point would be.  The idea of this device was for it to be automated - once it's set up and running, the dwarves will clean themselves and I won't have to micromanage it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2011, 07:39:19 pm »

Should have said "link to a timer" or something, my bad.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:10 pm »

The challenge will be to get the grate to open at just the right time, so that it doesn't interrupt the cleaning process.  Unless you want to interrupt the dwarf who's in the middle of cleaning themselves, which would seem to defeat the purpose.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 07:48:31 pm »

I'm thinking of this on a blind timer, not an on-demand function.  As such, it would try to interrupt the dwarf to prevent them catching flame during the weekly cleansing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:12 pm »

That would certainly work.  Retract the grate to drop any dwarf in the chamber and prevent any other dwarves from trying to use the chamber.  Then you can safely cleanse the chamber in magma before re-opening it.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Building a !!well!! was an awesome idea
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2011, 06:47:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is it possible than more than one dwarf manage to go inside resulting in unfortunate accident?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a !!well!! was an awesome idea
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:05 am »

Is it possible than more than one dwarf manage to go inside resulting in unfortunate accident?
Unlikely, but not impossible.  Both pressure plates are linked to floor hatches which make the entrance impassible when a dwarf is entering or the magma wash cycle is in use.  I have found that the time it takes to use a well is long enough that the pressure plates reset, so it is possible for a second dwarf to sneak in while the well is in use.  However, only one dwarf will attempt to use the well at a time, so the only time a second dwarf would attempt to enter is in the case of a child following their parent.  With really bad timing it might be possible for a child to be accidentally incinerated that way.  I'll have to test it some more.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2011, 08:18:26 am »

It may also interfere with following pets.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2011, 09:05:04 am »

Question, how many tiles around the burning artifact are effected by it?
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2011, 09:08:03 am »

It may also interfere with following pets.

Also a concern, although some people might find that a bonus.  I pasture, chain, or cage all animals in my fortresses, so not a worry for me.

I had a similar device to this in 40d, where I was able to use weight-sensitive pressure plates to exclude pets and children.  That doesn't work as well in 31.xx because creature sizes were completely reworked.  It's no longer possible to reliably detect children and animals with a pressure plate.

Question, how many tiles around the burning artifact are effected by it?

As far as I can tell, only the four tiles on the same Z-level, directly adjacent to the burning object are cleaned by fire.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2011, 10:34:21 am »

I know that this is a little less !!FUN!! do to a lack of magma, but if you take the water magma device and actually run water through it instead of magma, the mist generated will clean tiles that it hits over time. Then if you take the whole design and move it up a z-level, so that the well is on z-level 0, you have empty holes underneath where the mist will be created on z-level 1, and the pumps themselves are on z-level 2 then the mist will drift down the z-level and clean the tiles beneath it without the water interrupting dwarven pathing/jobs. I personally use this design in combination with dwarven bathtubs for all of my forts, the water washes the contaminants off of my dwarves and then the mist cleans the tiles in the bathtub and boosts your dwarves happiness. The only problem with it is that it doesn't clean walls, just floors, but your dwarves aren't walking on the walls now anyways. This also has the advantage that it is a lot easier to start and stop the device then if it was magma, as you don't really have to worry about the water falling on the ground below or needing to bring up more from the magma sea, just add a grate and any water that you drop on the well will then flow through and end up back in your reservoir anyways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2012, 12:12:50 pm »

So, what is the current situation with contaminants splatters and if it is the same, will anyone care to tell about it to Toady in hope that it will be fixed in current bugfixing spree?

P.S. Yeah, quite a necromancy but cleaning problem is something that I wish I should not do with Hack routinely.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:14:25 pm by AVE »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2012, 01:20:31 pm »

As far as I know, it hasn't changed.  Magma erases contamination, but is hard to trigger safely on demand.  Mist from waterfalls does not erase contamination, but it does push it around and cover it up with mud.  The best way to eliminate contamination near wells seems to be to have a couple of dwarves with no other labor than 'cleaning' enabled confined to a burrow that includes the wells (and make sure the wells are indoors and surrounded by smoothed or constructed floors)

I'm hoping that now that dwarves insist on wearing clothing they won't be as susceptible to getting contaminated by stepping in a puddle of forgotten beast extract.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7