Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The dorfen itza [Now with pix]  (Read 6346 times)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
The dorfen itza [Now with pix]
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:09:21 am »

So, I am more into trying to build things. (I am kinda-new and this is like those blocks starting with an L on random and crack. (Try building Legos with a cat and ferret that like crinkly things. This is even better.)) [For those who don't Lego: Legos come in a box with at least 3 very noisy plastic bags full of tiny bits. If you were attracted to crinkly and/or tiny bits, you'd like Legos. And if there is a shiny tiny bit, well the ferret don't get to see 'em. Ever. Or I don't get to see them but that one time.]

So I decided to build a pyramid, mostly since that seemed hard. Because hard felt TOO easy, I made this, (A cross-section):
Code: [Select]
--W
X-W
X--
X-W=\
X--W=\
X---W=\
X----W=\
X-----W=\
X------W=\
X-------W=\
X--------W=\
X---------W=\____________________
x.........W <UNDERGROUND>
^.........W <UNDERGROUND>

X is an up/down stair, - is a Floor, W is a wall of siltstone, = is a Gniess wall, \ is a Gniess ramp, . is Underground thingies

From the top:

^ is a ramp, numbers 1-9 are the floor number, (the W's from side), and 0 is the "=\" from the side view. I am not showing the temple, just the floor.

0   0
 1111111110^^^0111111111
 1222222220^^^0222222221
 1233333330^^^0333333321
 1234444440^^^0444444321
 1234555550^^^0555554321
 1234566660^^^0666654321
 1234567770^^^0777654321
 1234567880^^^0887654321
 1234567890^^^0987654321
 ^^^^^^^^^^...^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^.X.^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^...^^^^^^^^^^
etc.

It is much like the Osario at Chichen Itza, though it was done from memory, and, again, it was just to see how hard it was to do. And I didn't know what it was called, so this falls into the "learn something new everyday" category. (I have one.) [Play enough Civ and you have this vague picture in your head. This was mine.]

It was so easy, I would recommend it to all of my enemies. Plus, it didn't take long to make it all out of blocks. And because I did it right, no one died to insanity, tantrum spirals, or anything. Nope, no one. Now - if we speak in terms of 100, than yes. we lost about 100 dorfs. But not ONE. *grins*

Anyway, it was built. Proof of Concept was proven.

So, I generated a world with the 32 z's needed to do something like El Castillo. This:

---W
X--W   <--- 5z of temple w/ entrance
X--W
X--W
X---
X---WW\  <--- ~55.3d (56.3099d)  W
X---WW=\
x---WW==\
X-----WW=\
X-----WW==\
X-----WW===\
X-------WW==\
X-------WW===\
X-------WW====\
X---------WW===\
X---------WW====\
X---------WW=====\
X-----------WW====\
X-----------WW=====\
X-----------WW======\
X-------------WW=====\
X-------------WW======\
X-------------WW=======\
X---------------WW======\
X---------------WW=======\
X---------------WW========\
X-----------------WW=======\
X-----------------WW========\
X-----------------WW=========\
X-------------------WW========\
X-------------------WW=========\ <---45d  =\
X-------------------WW==========\______________

(I'll only draw a bit of the top...
T = Temple, - is a non-ramped "stair", numbers 1-9 are the floor number, and 0 is the "=\" from the side view.)
88880-----08888
88880-----08888
0099TTTTTTT9900
--99TTTTTTT99--
--99TTTTTTT99--
--99TTTTTTT99--
--99TTTTTTT99--
--99TTTTTTT99--
0099TTTTTTT9900
88880-----08888
88880-----08888

...is what I am now trying. So far, all I have is rock salt. I can make the thing out of rock salt. I only need some 13K of it. I have 4.8K now. I only did a small bit of research, so I am unsure of the actual composition of the beast. That is for later. Maybe. (Who are we kidding? We're dwarves. We'll figure it out, gen a world with it, and painstakingly do it because it has been started and must be done. Maybe.)

You might notice that I will not be ramping up the stairs this time. It should make things easier, I know, but that is what must be done. (Only the 0's will be ramped. Neither 1 nor 2 nor 5, (3, Sir,) shall be ramped. 5 is right out. 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are also a no go for ramping.) Of course, I am fine with throwing up temp stairs and scaffolding if I happen to help an idiot get him/her dorfy selves stuck.

I think it took 3 days to make Osario. This will be longer.

(Didn't wanna put it in the "What's going on..." thread, 'cause I didn't. Was gonna post it in another thread. But I decided that this may deserve it's own thread, so I gave it one.)

E: dofen turned into dorfen in the title. Coffee issues.

Edit2: Changed Title, added photos as follows;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Foundation in DF,
and the foundation in Stonesense.

The cutaway.
This is how it'll look when done.

Edit: finished with pavings, DF view.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:57:17 am by C0NNULL »
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dorfen itza
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:59:28 am »

Good luck in this undertaking.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:17:43 am »

Generate more than 32Z's, trust me.  You want a margin of error for mistakes, and a margin of dwarf for when you add menacing spikes later on.

set

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:30:12 am »

You should build Kukulkan heads or something at the base of the stairs. They should breathe Magma.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »

Wall-mounted spoons that seem to watch as you walk past them.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:10:18 pm »

To GiH: I made it 40z high, which I hope is enough to account for any mistakes. I had your very thought in mind. (Though I did do it on paper and ACAD, so it's probably good. I have thought about using MLcad, just because Legos are cool and blocky and dorfy, but I am more fluent in ACAD.)

To others: Luck is for rabbits that didn't make it. (How lucky is a lucky rabbit's foot, exactly?)

To E-FH: Spoons? Useful to give my cat food. Otherwise, what do they do? I mean, aside from that watching you thing. (Or that really cute one Tom Robbins wrote about.) [Or that they are useful in that they were invented before forks, and if you've only a knife and a spoon, well you figure out how to eat like a civilised person.]

Just got home. Building bedrooms and other niceties. 10K+ rock salt. And about 1500 Hematite. Since I am the ever-sarcastic optimist, I see this still going smoothly. (I tried to generate no wealth, but I was just offered a noble. I turned the offer down and lookied through what all everyone likes. I think I have a lass I'll use next time. She may not need a special room. Maybe.)

Give it time, my friends. You know something will fail. That is about as safe a bet as they come.

And please, let me get through the building it phase before I weaponize it. (Ideas are welcome, but we all know it should involve... <He'll step in and finish that statement, I am sure.>)

And now, more dorf fun.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:55 pm »

An update.

First, there were many little lakes/murky pools to drain. I wanted the holes left behind walled in, so that took some time what with the digging channels underground. Luckily, they froze in two parts/biomes? in the winter, so I could dig some of them out. (It is the first time I have played with ice. It's kinda neat watching ice walls slowly melt.)

There have been modifications to the plans. I will be doing the north half first and then the south half as almost two projects. The reasons are as follows:

1. I drew it with both a full and cutaway view and I'd like a few screenies in Stonesense as a cutaway. Because let's face it, cutaway views are pretty freaking cool.

2. It will gague the construction techniques. (One refinement has been made so far, see below.)

3. Having a half-pyramid may lead to fun .

Also, I decided to leave the "stairs" hollow and floored in. (Not the central staircase, of course.) So on each cardinal point on each level, there is a 1x2 cutout that will be floored over thatleads to the corresponding room. Each of these rooms will be floored with gabbro blocks instead of rock salt blocks, (but not the 1x2s,) just for variety.

In other news, the first level, (1/32,) is fully floored and [half] walled. Nice to have a footprint, methinks. Constructions on the second and third floors are slowly starting. The up/down stairs on 4/32 are there with a 3x2 (-1) landing. The refinement we are making is that on 2/32 we built the "rails" to the "stairs" which went fine, but sine they had been four ramped walkable access ways, we will leave their construction for near last per floor.

We currently have 2104 rock salt blocks, 348 gabbro blocks, 31403 rock salt, 3005 gabbro and 4521 hematite in the stocks. There is a cadre of 21 Masons and 14 miners. (212 total pop. With a cool mayor and baron. So far.) 10 mason's shops are making rs blocks.

When I figure out where to post some pics, I will.

I think that covers it all so far. More to come.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dorfen itza [Now with pix]
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:44:15 am »

I updated the OP with a few pictures. This is not a bump, but editing the OP doesn't/didn't plop me on page one. *shrugs* Never claimed I was good at posting. Enjoy the new pictures. Magma to all.

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:36:56 am »

:o

Amazing. Just amazing!
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 11:58:26 am »

I still say "Five is right out" in conversation sometimes. Also, didn't the mayans throw maidens into sinkholes? After Itza you should do that. A big sacrificial sinkhole.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 12:04:24 pm »

Nice. Sacrifice prisoners of war at the top, then dump them off the side  ;D

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 01:21:11 pm »

The dumping was into a cenote.  Circular, smooth limestone sides, incredibly deep.  Normally they are full of water about 100' below the surface, but you may have greater fun having them end in the magma sea.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 01:26:17 pm »

The dumping was into a cenote.  Circular, smooth limestone sides, incredibly deep.  Normally they are full of water about 100' below the surface, but you may have greater fun having them end in the magma sea.
Bonus dorf points if they have enough momentum to splat on the bottom  :P

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »

have a 2x2 hole going from the top right down through the pyramid until it hits the map bottom, be it magma sea or a cavern. bonus points for building the vent directly above a spoilerite vein so yo an dig it out, and drop enemies all the way down through the entire map until they hit the spoilerzone. uberbonus points if the vein is above a spoilerpit so you can drop them the entire lengh of the map
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:32 am »

It is finished, I think.

I've added another pic on the OP and here. Armok told me to pave the thing, and I complied. Plus, he wanted a lake. It took us four years to try to fill it by hand. It normally stayed at 1/7, so freezing did not help. At all. So we breached the river that is not in the pic, (it is a small corner in the SE,) and let the river dump into the paved lake thing. Now we are happy. Sorta.

Issues:

1.) Pain in the arse.
2.) See #1
3.) I built the fortress on center, not the Itza, (I can assure you that more flooring would be done had I centered it instead of the fort.)
4.) See #1
5.) Freezing lakes means dorfs have a hard time drinking. Never you mind the 6K drinks around, Urist McThirsty wants water. (And no one mourns on his death, because really, water? There is a fine hospital, even. Though the well does run dry. Still, healthy dorf wanting water != healthy dorf.)

Anywhats, It is in a state of "finished".  There are about 33,725 blocks used. Yes, blocks. If you really care, I can count them, but really... I think that with the current mining I have done I have only 289 gabbro left. I've near 9500 rock salt left. I could probably do something with the leftovers, but I am tired from it. It runs at 30-33 FPS, so that is cool.

Having said that, one of two things will happen; I will make a new embark and center It, and/or I will find [inserts magmaaaaa] and weaponize it. Also, I am drawing up some mazes for the levels, so if I ever decide that I want to, I can obey GiH and adventure mode it, sorta. (I guess that makes it three, neh? I have coffee, but have only had a sip. Bad me.)

More might come,
C0NNULL

Edit: I forgot to mention, I am missing 7 z-levels in Ogreseer/Overseer 5.1. That'd be a nice picture, otherwise. On my Win 7 system, anyway. My two XP boxes are failing to read DF at all. Likely from me not usually logging into the admin account. (I don't admin/sudo run instances of DF?) I'll figure it out. I'll also upload this to DFFD if you like. After all, it is really pretty.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:05:12 am by C0NNULL »