Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A different kind of gaming community  (Read 2207 times)

Torn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A different kind of gaming community
« on: August 10, 2014, 04:50:55 am »

Since my searches have thus far proved unsuccessful, I decided to go post this to various places.
Basically, I'm trying to find a community of people who play games. Most communities are focused on a single game, or have sub-communities that don't seem to interact with one another all too much and still focus on one game each. That's not at all what I want. The mainstream shooters and MOBAs and Minecraft and TF2 and your usual co-op games like L4D2 or Magicka or Civilization V are nice and all, but I'm looking for a change from all that.
Something along the lines of a different game each week / month per group. Could have a little forum-like thing where people can post the genre or name of a game they'd like to find people for, and then people could sign themselves up for a group. (Since many games play from start to finish and with a limited player count.) The idea would be that instead of just finding randoms each time, the entire community would more or less know each other.
"So, what? You're essentially just looking for a few friends to play games together?" Yes and no. I mean, it would be damn perfect if I could find 3 people who want to play the exact same games as me at the exact same times as me, but that's just impossible. To always have a few friends nearby who want to play the same game as you do at even roughly the same time as you, you'd need to have a very big circle of friends. Which could be considered another term for the thing I'm looking for.
So I'm trying to see if such a thing exists, or if there's at least people interested in it. So far I've received mostly positive feedback, but no mentions of something like this existing. Maybe if enough people like the idea and what to be part of it, we could get something started.
Finally, if you don't know of a community like this, perhaps you have an idea of a better place or person to ask. If that is the case, please do point me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:37:16 pm by Torn »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A different kind of gaming community
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:02:27 am »

I think you might be going about this the wrong way. In a sense, bay12 fairly regularly already does what you're describing. Yes, we're dwarf fortress players, but people here routinely put together groups for other games. I don't think any sort of special "thing" is necessary. I suggest you simply decide what you want to play. We might already have a group playing it that you could join.

Do you play Eve Online? We have a bunch of Eve players, and every now and they get together and form a corportion that usually lasts for 6 months or so. Do you play minecraft? We have whitelisted minecraft servers. We have an Illyraid group. Want to play DDO? We have a bay12 guild. Neverwinter Nights? Here's someone putting together a multiplayer campaign right now.

I do recommend that you at least give dwarf fortress a try, as it is the game that brought us together, and DF themes and discussion come up fairly often in our other-games groups. But what do you want to play? There might already be a group of bay12 players playing it together.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Torn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 12:34:11 pm »

Lord Bucket, I thank you for your considerate reply, but I think you slightly misunderstood me. I am not looking for people to play with, that would be too easy. I'm looking for a small group of people to play with. The emphasis is on that I'd like to know who I'm playing with. This forum has over 30 thousand registered users with like 40 new ones signing up each day. I'm sure many, if not most, aren't active, and there are even less who come here to play other games amongst things, but if 10% or even 1% of the total populace was the part who actively participated in these other games, there's no way I could possibly get to know them all.

Oh, and I've played Dwarf Fortress. (Since I was 11. =b) I'm not posting this to random places. Either relevant places, or places I actually go to.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 12:45:12 pm »

There's quite a bit of user overlap in "play with your buddies". The issue is definitely "I want to play this now but others with similar taste don't." You're just not going to find any group to fit your needs. You need half your group open to anything. I play a lot of boardgames with a smallish group of half a dozen people. Nobody is subservient to any other. It is not uncommon to have 30 different games open to choose from and get anything from "I don't feel like that or that today" or "I'm not ecstatic to play that" or some other statement amounting to "meh". We have very specific times set to gather in a few places with different time cutoffs. We love to get outside our comfort zone of the small group because you just become too predictable with each other. You will hit that in less than a year. You might as well avoid it now. Just play games.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 12:50:19 pm »

There's quite a bit of user overlap in "play with your buddies". The issue is definitely "I want to play this now but others with similar taste don't." You're just not going to find any group to fit your needs. You need half your group open to anything. I play a lot of boardgames with a smallish group of half a dozen people. Nobody is subservient to any other. It is not uncommon to have 30 different games open to choose from and get anything from "I don't feel like that or that today" or "I'm not ecstatic to play that" or some other statement amounting to "meh". We have very specific times set to gather in a few places with different time cutoffs. We love to get outside our comfort zone of the small group because you just become too predictable with each other. You will hit that in less than a year. You might as well avoid it now. Just play games.
I concur with the small groups becoming predictable, a couple of friends I play RTS's all have different strategies, but you get to realize what they are going to do. Example K1ng rushes tigers in MOW, Cole snipes in RO2, "strangers" can be fun to play with.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 12:53:48 pm »

Also, it's not hard to get to know everyone on B12. (Or at least everyone on the lower boards) If you visit the forums enough and don't focus solely on playing games, you'll get to know everyone pretty well.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Torn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 01:04:52 pm »

I'm not looking for a group as small as 6 people. More like 60, but just not 600. I am fairly familiar with what you're talking about, which is the reason I went to look for all this. I have a few friends who I play games with sometimes. And that's exactly the problem, that even though I'm open to like 20-40 different games, they're all usually like... "ehh... I'd rather play something else." The strategies and predictability wouldn't be so much of a problem if the games switched fairly frequently. Yeah, you kinda get to know if the other person usually prefers aggressive or defensive tactics for example, but nothing that would really ruin things.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:14:22 pm »

I'm not looking for a group as small as 6 people. More like 60
I don't think the "in crowd" of PWYB is 60 people strong. I'm not even sure it's 30. You just have to view it as more of a gaming club (a lot of people come and go, some come in fairly regularly, but there's a "core group" that stays fairly stable, and whose members can be found in most games.) then a hard set group (where every person in every game would be from it and no outsiders are allowed in ever). Besides, how would you even join that?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 01:32:46 pm »

Yeah... I don't think there's really any major video game related grouping within b12 that has more than 2-3 dozen regulars. Most notably fewer. Even the biggest DF-associated steam group rarely has more than 15-20 or so loitering in the chatroom, from what I've noticed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 01:51:57 pm »

Yeah... I don't think there's really any major video game related grouping within b12 that has more than 2-3 dozen regulars. Most notably fewer. Even the biggest DF-associated steam group rarely has more than 15-20 or so loitering in the chatroom, from what I've noticed.

On Other Games, I'd say so. I think the last time we had a gigantic Bay12 group was when we played Bloc, but that was like a year ago. I think initially we got like 50-60 members, hazy on the numbers though.