Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45

Author Topic: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!  (Read 116808 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 06:41:16 pm »

Woo for awesome!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 07:03:52 pm »

Amazing.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 07:18:39 pm »

I got a bit excited. Then I imagined shipping line missions... in ascii...  :o

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 08:26:34 pm »

So I checked my blog stats this morning and see this not-so-tiny spike. Someone apparently posted to a more popular forum... Check details... Yep, there it is--on Bay 12 already. I haven't been doing any publicity since the game is just a tech demo right now, but X@COM is probably just going to advertise itself, being what it is ;)

From what I read the creatures, items, and equipment have a DF-like raw setup allowing modders to add what ever they can think of. This opens the possibility for 1700's era X-COM romps against sentient waffles and the like. I personally love the terrain destruction which is key to any X-COM-like tactical squad command game. I am interested into how a geoscape would work... mmm 3D ASCII planet? Yes please!

@ Itnetlolor: If the final/ beta-level product of the game is anything like the demo I will be in heaven. The move to ascii apparently will allow him to have a multitude if unique, different environments and situations if I read the devlogs right. So far he has some different creatures with things like the cyborg which were not in the original X-COM to my knowledge.

X@COM is completely data driven--the game draws everything from the text files which you can see in their current limited state in the tech demo's "xcomdat/objects" directory. (The extension is .xt, which I did so I can view them with syntax highlighting by default in Notepad++.) It will be possible to create an entirely different setting using your own terrain, creatures, items, etc... even particle effects (though I wouldn't recommend any serious editing with the tech demo).

Geoscape: Won't be coming until at least another 6-8 months, probably. Hadn't decided on flat or 3D yet, but will most likely implement both just to compare. I'm not sure I should bother with flat, though, since everyone wants 3D ASCII, of course. ;)

The cyborg in the tech demo is an RL joke/Easter egg. It's Sigmund from DCSS.

my guys wont get off the dropship...
I had this problem until I read the Readme. Numpad "+" & "-" change z-levels. You can move your guys by either clicking with the mouse or view the array keys on the ground floor/ where they can path too/see. Down arrow key kneels, tab cycles your squadmates and space ends your turn. That should cover you till you find the readme which is inside the instillation folder. I still need to remember the reload key... damn those empty rocket launchers.

Ya, press F1 in game for the command help. Mouse wheel support for z-level changes is already in the next unreleased version.

Sorry about the rockets--No way to reload your weapons at the moment since inventory management is pretty much nonexistent ::) You'll just have to abandon any empty weapons for now, thus making any rocket launchers one-use weapons.

Just think what kind of terrain gen people can write.  Massive places like Apocalypse!

This might not be possible, since the plan is to limit maps to 60x60 so they always entirely fit in the console. Seeing the entire map at once makes the game play much faster. There is, however, theoretically no limit to how *tall* a map can be. So you could have very high buildings and such if the map ceiling is raised. Could be fun to have a skyscraper-type map.

Right now the architecture doesn't support scrolling maps or x/y-dim > 60. And if I don't add it soon/early, it'll probably never be.

If the final/ beta-level product of the game is anything like the demo I will be in heaven.

It's going to be far, far better. The content will be what everyone knows and loves, and much of the "tech" in tech demo isn't even in there yet. The game will probably start to resemble what it'll really be in another few months.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... In case it's not obvious: I'm the X@COM dev :)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:39 pm »

Kyzrati,
We love that you are here.
Thank you based dwarf.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:32 pm »

Hello, X@COM guy!

Question: Couldn't you just increase the size of the console, thus the map, or is that not really a possible thing?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:35 pm »

HNNNNNNGWANT
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »

Developer: new XCOM game-Like/dislike?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 08:53:40 pm »

Kyzrati, thanks for coming and answering everything. I am excited for this game, too. But I guess someone had to make it eventually.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »

Oh god yes.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »

Kyzrati, I'm glad to see the work you are doing on the interpretation of the classic X-COM series. I'm also glad to help an indie devs I can in my own way. I heard some rumors about the project... possibly on the openxcom forums so when I saw a link appear I was pretty intrigued. I read you will add sound to mix, which combined with the snazzy effects you put in (delicious ASCII plasma), should be quite nice. Any plans for bgm later down the road?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »

Kyzrati, actually arriving here will provide a nice boost of popularity to your game. I mean look at the Cataclysm thread, it started off as a thread about a small game in development then the developer came on and now its over 400+ pages.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 09:39:31 pm »

Kyzrati, actually arriving here will provide a nice boost of popularity to your game. I mean look at the Cataclysm thread, it started off as a thread about a small game in development then the developer came on and now its over 400+ pages.

Yeah, the RL <3 here can get scary big.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 09:40:40 pm »

And suggestions, too!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 11:59:26 pm »

Right now the architecture doesn't support scrolling maps or x/y-dim > 60. And if I don't add it soon/early, it'll probably never be.

NOooooo! Don't crush my dreams!
Add it soon! :p
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45