Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45

Author Topic: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!  (Read 116945 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!
« Reply #630 on: June 02, 2013, 08:33:46 pm »

Ah, facetiousness noted.

Think Six Echo should really be avoided for that reason? If it was a well-known studio with popular games it would make sense to avoid it, but they haven't even released a game. Hm...
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #631 on: June 02, 2013, 08:41:46 pm »

I think Six Echo is a good name, though admittedly I may be biased as I thought it up. :P

I see no reason you should avoid it solely because its the name of a games studio with no actual games. There isn't much chance of confusion really.

Would you avoid the name 'Black Isle' if it fit your game, just because it was the name of an interplay game studio? Its a cool name after all. In fact there ARE games with Black Isle in their names despite that.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #632 on: June 02, 2013, 08:48:03 pm »

Yeah, that's why I didn't really think it was reason to give it up as a possibility. Just happened to notice that use yesterday while doing a more in-depth search, and got curious as to you guys thought about that.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 04, 2013, 11:59:30 am »

I personally don't see much of a conflict with the mobile studio. Divergent markets.

As far as naming goes, another possible direction is examine names from actual 70's and 80's. Now I have zero cultural knowledge about that period in North America or UK, so I can't really help there -- but I suspect some of you may. Bureau seems to be a common word.

Acronyms, acronyms...
http://www.morewords.com/starts-with/se/

Combining this with B, I want to add stuff together for SEPTEMBER. Project SEPTEMBER sounds cool to me.
Such as... Six Echo: (PTEM) Bureau of Extraterrestial Research

Another entertaining option is hijack SETI as we already have Six Echo... to work with. Six Echo: ???? Initiative

I suck with acronyms, but I hope this helps.

However, Six Echo: Earth Defense Initiative has quite a good ring to it already!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 04, 2013, 01:52:39 pm »

However, Six Echo: Earth Defense Initiative has quite a good ring to it already!

However it does't lend itself easily to abbreviation. What would people in chat or on the forums call it ? There's a good bunch of extra marketing in something easy to shorten and type out.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 04, 2013, 02:40:04 pm »

However it does't lend itself easily to abbreviation. What would people in chat or on the forums call it ? There's a good bunch of extra marketing in something easy to shorten and type out.

SEEDI doesn't exactly have positive connotations ...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 04, 2013, 02:47:31 pm »

What about SE: Sol Defense Iniative or SESDI? Or SE: Tactical ET Response Team/Group/Org/Squad, or SETER-T/G/O/S?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 04, 2013, 03:30:24 pm »

What's wrong with the South Eastern European Digitalization Effort?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #638 on: June 04, 2013, 07:33:28 pm »

Therein lies one of the greater benefits of Xenocorps.

I wouldn't consider the organization itself is called Six Echo: Earth Defense Initiative. The latter part is just a subtitle for the game for clarification purposes and to indicate under what auspices the unit was formed. In game they're just called Six Echo.

The standard way to abbreviate subtitled game names would be to keep the colon anyway, so it'd be SE:EDI, not as obvious. That and I always felt that some of what X-COM does is rather seedy to begin with, selling alien weapons and technology to fund their operations independently of the oversight council!

I think that name still works nicely.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 06, 2013, 09:51:35 am »

Seems good to me.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #640 on: June 06, 2013, 03:39:40 pm »

Seems good to me.
Agreed, I like it too.

Now kickstart this thing and quit your real job.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 06, 2013, 04:30:58 pm »

:D

...as long as there's enough reach for it right now. I don't know anything about advertising  :-\
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #642 on: June 06, 2013, 11:51:16 pm »

Seems good to me.
Agreed, I like it too.

I would totally do that. Small problem: I'm not a U.S. citizen, and non-KS platforms are crappy. Too bad because I'm fairly certain I could market it in a way that would gather quite a few backers, and right now is an almost perfect opportunity since as of this week the contract on my primary source of income is up and I don't want to continue. So now I really need to spend time finding a new source of income, which unfortunately means less work on this game.

I am considering setting up a company in my own country to develop some smaller commercial roguelikes, but X@COM itself is too large a project to be profitable in the short term, be it commercial or donation-supported.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 07, 2013, 10:33:35 am »

Seems good to me.
Agreed, I like it too.

I would totally do that. Small problem: I'm not a U.S. citizen, and non-KS platforms are crappy. Too bad because I'm fairly certain I could market it in a way that would gather quite a few backers, and right now is an almost perfect opportunity since as of this week the contract on my primary source of income is up and I don't want to continue. So now I really need to spend time finding a new source of income, which unfortunately means less work on this game.

I am considering setting up a company in my own country to develop some smaller commercial roguelikes, but X@COM itself is too large a project to be profitable in the short term, be it commercial or donation-supported.

So I gather, from having followed the recent Darkwood funding campaign on indiegogo. KS really should fix that, startups are no longer a US phenomena.

I know the name is decided, but the name generator in my head finally went ping last night. Echo Six: The Last Resort is what I've come up with - set up like a contingency nobody wanted to use, but had to. Even lends itself to cheeky imagery with a tourist resort.

Also, you are using 70's and 80's styling, right? If I may, having spoken to quite a few people who HAVE lived through that period as teenagers/young adults, my image as constructed by media is very, very wrong. If you are like me, and are a child of the late 80's/90's, I would suggest seek somebody to advice you on styling it properly - apparently it's different, and a lot cooler, when done properly.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:35:53 am by CognitiveDissonance »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #644 on: June 07, 2013, 10:53:00 am »

Actually the name's not set in stone or anything. I just threw up some logo designs I was playing with.

I think it'll be mid-80's-ish, for at least 2 reasons: it goes along with the terminal theme, and I don't want too much advanced tech that the modern day world has to offer getting in the way of the story. Like a majority of traditional X-COM fans (as I understand the demographic anyway), I lived through all of the 80's myself. And modern media sucks. I haven't even owned a TV for more than a decade! (Back when I did actually have the time and inclination to watch TV, all my favorite shows were from the 80's and earlier ;p)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45