Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45]

Author Topic: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!  (Read 116144 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!
« Reply #660 on: August 10, 2014, 06:17:38 pm »

Hasn't this project been abandoned, anyway?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!
« Reply #661 on: August 10, 2014, 06:25:46 pm »

Aside from destructible environments, what will this have over open xcom? http://openxcom.org/
OpenXCom really does a good job of providing the good old original game with the vast possibilities of open source modding.

sambojin beat me to it, but I may as well give my own take ;)

Aside from the obviously different visual style, there are two major components which set X@COM apart from OpenXCom:
  • X@COM is moddable on a completely different level. Using a fairly simple in-house scripting system and the open data files, you can create pretty much anything. As an example I turned the game into a tactical fantasy adventure in only a few weeks. It has its own huge range of mechanics and massive content. Something like this would take a very long time to do with OpenXCom, and require lots of source modifications.
  • There are (and will be) a lot more mechanics available in the vanilla game itself, things that either add to realism, simply make the game more fun, or just enable you to do more (in the roguelike tradition!). OpenXCom sometimes suffers from limitations arising from its use of graphics, and new mechanics are difficult to implement. The world of X@COM aims to be much more interactive.
I haven't gotten to the geoscape yet, but it's going to be similarly free-form with lots of modding potential.

The lack of a need for complex art assets (especially when producing huge amounts of content) is also attractive to many modders, and even players since then you can use your imagination.

Hasn't this project been abandoned, anyway?
*gasp* Whatever gave you that idea?! Read this post from last year. X@COM is coming back in 2015. In the meantime I'm still even making updates to the X@COM engine based on Cogmind developments. It's going to come back better than ever.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:22:12 pm by Kyzrati »
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45]