Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45

Author Topic: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!  (Read 116145 times)

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:17:43 pm »

Gentlemen/Gentlewomen X@COM, a RL/ Tactical mashup interpretation has gone live. It features destructible terrain, sectoids, and the shooting mechanics you know and love from the original X-Com games. This is just the tech demo but I have to say it plays well. Plasma and explosions have a wonderful effect as well.

Link: http://xcomrl.blogspot.com/

And the game in all it's ascii glory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 02:31:40 pm »

Oh my god. If this comes to completion or at least gets worked on a bit, it will be godlike. I will have to hunt down the creator and propose to him.

I'm serious.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:45:12 pm »

I was just thinking about how cool this would be.

important thing though:  Procedural generation.  90% of the fun of XCom is on the first playthrough when the threat is completely unknown.  That 10% remaining is still a shitload of fun, but can you imagine if every game had different alien types, weapons, etc?
Shoes...

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »

I was just thinking about how cool this would be.

important thing though:  Procedural generation.  90% of the fun of XCom is on the first playthrough when the threat is completely unknown.  That 10% remaining is still a shitload of fun, but can you imagine if every game had different alien types, weapons, etc?

Being a roguelike, I would be surprised if there wasn't.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 03:22:06 pm »

Saying this looks awesome doesn't even begin to cover it...
When I think what could be done with that idea my mind is nearly blown, I will keep a close eye on it :).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:30:34 pm »

I just squee'd so hard everyone in my office is giving me a funny look.

I may also need new underpants.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 03:52:11 pm »

Great.

+1
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:00:00 pm by kulik »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 03:52:32 pm »

This is pretty cool. Nice demo provided too. Gives you a good idea of what's going into it. Also sticks true to it's roots.

An XCOM mode and a true "Alien" mode would be interesting. XCOM is what we're familiar with playing, and "Alien" would allow procedurally generated content. But that second mode can wait until the game is finished or at least at a 1.0 release.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:54:21 pm by Itnetlolor »

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 05:16:54 pm »

From what I read the creatures, items, and equipment have a DF-like raw setup allowing modders to add what ever they can think of. This opens the possibility for 1700's era X-COM romps against sentient waffles and the like. I personally love the terrain destruction which is key to any X-COM-like tactical squad command game. I am interested into how a geoscape would work... mmm 3D ASCII planet? Yes please!

@ Itnetlolor: If the final/ beta-level product of the game is anything like the demo I will be in heaven. The move to ascii apparently will allow him to have a multitude if unique, different environments and situations if I read the devlogs right. So far he has some different creatures with things like the cyborg which were not in the original X-COM to my knowledge.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:30:57 pm »

I just exploded.

Just think what kind of terrain gen people can write.  Massive places like Apocalypse!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 05:48:50 pm »

I think being a roguelike, it also provides room for additional craft (alien and XCOM) to be provided that also weren't part of the native games. Plus, I can imagine that this can also allow for both UFO and TFTD simultaneously (Ocean and land bases). You'd have to do well with how you manage both land and sea bases and their stocks so you're ready for any attack, land or sea-bound.

Neat. I'd like to see that. ;D

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:04:13 pm »

Posting to orgasm watch. This could be amazing.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:22:06 pm »

my guys wont get off the dropship...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 06:30:37 pm »

Definitely need to watch this one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 06:31:45 pm »

my guys wont get off the dropship...

I had this problem until I read the Readme. Numpad "+" & "-" change z-levels. You can move your guys by either clicking with the mouse or view the array keys on the ground floor/ where they can path too/see. Down arrow key kneels, tab cycles your squadmates and space ends your turn. That should cover you till you find the readme which is inside the instillation folder. I still need to remember the reload key... damn those empty rocket launchers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45