Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 45

Author Topic: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!  (Read 116953 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: X@COM - Where ASCII and X-COM Collide!
« Reply #540 on: April 23, 2013, 07:31:26 pm »

No, no, what you already had was hard, the new mod FARM is easy by comparison, as was the original game. My missions have been on the hard side, while a true campaign is supposed to be more of a war of attrition with occasional losses, not "aliens wiped out my entire squad every other time we landed!"
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 24, 2013, 07:09:56 pm »

I see.  Since you decided to postpone parkour, when are you planning on actually implementing it?  It can be rather annoying to have to blast my  way through a fence.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #542 on: April 24, 2013, 07:39:59 pm »

There was a blog post about it a while back you can check out. It won't be soon, since most people want a full game this century.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 25, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »

So I'm not absolutely terrible for never winning a mission? That's sort of reassuring. I can settle with just "bad".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #544 on: May 04, 2013, 08:12:05 am »

New mod to try out, the terror missions from X-COM.

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 05, 2013, 08:16:59 pm »

Ok, I can live without the parkour  :P.  Can't wait to try out the terror mod though!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 19, 2013, 12:18:03 am »

In case no one noticed, it's almost X@COM's two year anniversary. Congrats on getting as far as this Kyzrati!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #547 on: May 20, 2013, 09:57:48 pm »

Hm, sincere congratulations? Or a thinly veiled sarcastic comment I should read as "WTF is taking so long, dude?!" :P

Just kidding, I know you mean it, though I can't help but recall the, um, slight deviation from my original plan. I started with the intention of making this a simple, quick project--after all, X-COM mechanics are widely documented, and I could've made a complete clone in a year if I stuck to that plan. But after only the first few months of development I started thinking this could be much more epic, so it quickly turned into quite a large project. In the end I'm sure it's for the better, since after all an exact remake in ASCII has more or less gimmicky appeal at best.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 21, 2013, 08:21:46 pm »

So when do X@com forces get to deal with Necro-Chrysalid Terror missions. having to deal with necromancers raising the dead aliens and having 'lids biting them would be the best hardest challenge any officer should face.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #549 on: May 22, 2013, 08:35:15 am »

Aw you missed it. ;) That was in Rookie's Tale, though you'd have to be real unlucky to have that happen. It's possible to meet necromancers who can raise the dead, and there is the chance that a chryssalid might be living in a cave somewhere on the map.

Really more dangerous than that is if some random wandering goblin or some such finds that cave, the unfairness of which someone here has already mentioned since most everybody is wielding swords and spears etc., rendering them defenseless against an every-growing army of chryssalids. (Mwuahaha.) Of course if you find the hidden stash of X-COM weapons from the future then even a dragon doesn't stand a chance, much less a chryssalid army.

Now as to what will be in the *real* game, we'll have to wait and see what happens with the new races-to-be.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 22, 2013, 11:29:17 am »

omg omg omg what is this? I just saw this thread, MUST LEARN ALL THE THINGS!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #551 on: May 26, 2013, 12:02:00 pm »

X@COM is soon to no longer be "X-COM." Now quick--

READ FAST BEFORE YOU GO INTO SHOCK:

What I mean is the game is going to be re-branded with a different name and content while keeping the same mechanics and premise--you'll still be leading an organization tasked with defending Earth against aliens; soldiers, battlescape, geoscape, bases, craft, and all. This will enable more freedom in both design and fundraising. (If you *really* want to play the original in ASCII form, I'm sure a mod will be able to help you with that--we more or less have one already, minus the geoscape.)

We don't really need another X-COM clone, anyway, which X@COM is already decidedly not, so... first thing's first: we need a new name to
  • preferably represent what the game will be (or at least some aspect thereof)
  • get at least a little further away from "X-COM"
  • be easier to search for, '@' characters not being all that search engine friendly
  • be pronounceable ;)
Since this plan has been in the back of my head for a quite a while now, I've already had plenty of time to come up with, mull over, and throw out the window lots of ideas. The only one that's stuck to date: Company X.

While X@COM is not a clone and does/will include lots of additional features, it obviously has its roots in X-COM (as well as some of the trunk as well, considering core mechanics and gameplay), so I preferred a name that still embodied those roots (okay, trunk), hence the 'X', and "Com..." (cleverly reversed, mind you! ;))

In 1973 a close group of respected scientists exploring the entertaining possibility of alien life on Earth made an important discovery. Although based purely on a confluence of soft evidence, it appeared that aliens really could be responsible for a series of unexplained and seemingly unrelated events across the globe in recent years.

While they couldn't take their views to the public without risking their reputations in the scientific community, they were convinced that given more time and information it might be possible to piece together enough evidence to prove the Earth was in fact under alien surveillance for an unknown purpose.

They called themselves "The Company," a joking reference to not being alone on the planet.

Uniquely positioned to gain access to normally restricted data, The Company slowly pieced together behavioral profiles and hypothesized about technological advancements behind various unnatural phenomena, all rooted in real science. For several years they silently investigated and monitored suspected alien activity, even developing technology capable of detecting Unidentified Flying Objects and tracking them for a short distance.

It is now the year 1985, and the aliens are becoming more aggressive. No longer are incidents limited to brief sightings and random abductions. Inexplicable small-scale attacks have begun to shake the public psyche even as governments are quick to initiate cover-ups and attribute them to terrorists.

The company decides it's time to act.

Through one part pattern analysis, one part behavioral science, and two parts luck, they successfully predict the next target site. Acting in coordination with local law enforcement contacts, they have an entire squad of officers briefed and waiting in ambush when two armed aliens arrive at the scene, immediately surprising and subduing them before they can react.

Major world governments are impressed at the group's success, and unanimously agree to fund them as a new independent initiative tasked with combating the alien threat in all its forms. Knowledge of the alien threat is not yet ready to be brought before the public, thus the deal is kept secret and for now the group appears on government defense ledgers as simply "Company X."

The term "Company" can be taken in the military, economic, or even "group" sense. Obviously you're leading a paramilitary organization, as well as essentially a company what with manufacturing and selling equipment on the side to supplement income...

The story is not incredibly unique, just another possible way such an organization could be formed that covers most of the necessary bases while keeping it generic enough that it could play out in any number of ways from your starting point.

What do you think about all this? Especially the name. It doesn't seem all that amazing on it's own, and in that sense it's not perfect, but it fits the theme and series well...

I'm bringing this up here and not on the blog because a forum is a better place to have a discussion (speaking of which, I'll likely be opening a new general forum once this name is decided).

In other news the latest blog post I've had ready for several days now, regarding donations, is sitting around collecting dust because I found out at the last minute that PayPal donations don't work in my country--I was informed I should start a company and sell a product or service instead. ::) Go figure. I'll see what I can do...

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 26, 2013, 12:18:54 pm »

I fully endorse that you plan to do your own thing rather than a 1:1 copy. Not a big fan of the name Company X though, it does not exactly roll off the tongue. Unfortunately all I've come up with is not much better.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 26, 2013, 02:28:20 pm »

How about a name that sounds more military, like the Earth Defense Force or something?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 26, 2013, 06:50:26 pm »

I'm agreeing the the other two for now. I think the idea of branching (more tree references!) off from x-com is a cool idea, but the name isn't all that great. I think it's the X. I have an instant reaction about X's that they're just slapped onto titles when people want it to sound "cool" (Project X!). The title captures the game's core, but sadly falls under cliche.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 45