Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best year to embark?  (Read 6659 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best year to embark?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 04:59:21 pm »

1999, Third Age of Arda:
After years of wandering, the exiles of Khazad-dûm found Erebor.

1999 is a bit too much, but it made me prefer to end the world generation at xx8.
Ever since the .31, the history generation seems a bit too slow, so I now end the world gen at the year 38, which is just another decision based solely on pop culture.
In the year of '39 assembled here the Volunteers
In the days when lands were few....

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 06:04:20 pm »

I normally do 1199 so I hit year 1200 in dwarf mode. My current world is 3499. Essentially I like genning to any sort of year where the last two digits are 99.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 03:42:07 pm »

All the FB's, titans, and civilizations are alive [in year 250, as opposed to year 1050]. Interpret as you wish.

I've had three or four FBs wandering around my basement in 'year 1050' fortresses, and I've currently got a Titan made of Amber stuck in the ditch of a fort, with two or three FBs in the underground.  (Including some sort of Pterodactyl FB that flies and forced the closure of some well-shafts I had thankfully created with lever-controlled hatches in, because it was randomly flying up and down them...)

Go with 2, save the kobolds!
Must admit that I haven't noticed any Kobolds for a while.  This may well be the reason.

I often find my home civ (albeit one of two or three, usually, so maybe I'm picking awkwardly) hasn't any notable figures, so I reckon the dwarves don't survive well, but goblins are invariant.  Aforementioned fort has no human traders, which might be location based except that I get the elves.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 03:58:13 pm »

It'll crash if it hits the RAM cap for your system.  If you're on a 32 bit this is pretty easy.
Whatwherewhen?  Year 1050 worldgens (larger worlds) were no problem (save for a small wait, certainly not being overnighters) on an 32-bit XP machine with 512Mb RAM and whatever standard virtual memory allocation the system had decided to apply to the system at hand.

I can't remember ever having had a worldgen crash, in fact.  Memory-related or otherwise (although I did used to leave worldgens working overnight when I first got the game, but that was on work machines before I'd even found out how to start the darn thing and was just goggling at the worldgen taking place at the end of the working day, and then not knowing what to do with it when I came in the following morning).

Maybe I'm lucky, or else my computer is less of an idiot than me and smooths things over somehow. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]