Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there a way to set a limit on how many dwarfs can come in each migrant wave?  (Read 1886 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a nice trick with the smithing workshops. I might have to try that.

I don't bother building individual beds for my dorfs. They get a 10x10 smoothed (legendary) engraved dorm with about 15 high quality beds and statues. That and the legendary dining room keeps them very happy most of the time. Legendary dorfs get their own room as well as my starting 7.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few thoughts that may add to the already good advice here:

I hear that the size of migrant waves is increased by wealth production, and decreased by deaths (with noble deaths counting for a whole lot of deaths).  So if the waves are too big, consider replacing your good bookkeeper with a random hauler, then killing the hauler-bookkeeper, and reassigning the good bookkeeper.  Try doing it annually and see how much of an impact it has.

I'll echo that using the macros is essential.  In particular, remember that macros apply to any kind of function in DF, not just mining.  For some very common actions, like digging a 3x3 up/down stairway downwards a few levels, or making a diagonal 3-tile wide hallway in the 4 diagonal directions, or DEFINITELY the 'Enter+down'x15 macro for getting items to the Trade Depot and then trading things, I save macros.  For lots of other things I just create and use macros on the spot without saving.

For example, with my latest population explosion, I made a macro that digs a 3x3 room out, then rests the cursor below it, so I could just spam ctrl+p and get a whole bunch of rooms in place, then make a few hallways connecting them.  Once they were dug out, I made a macro that places a bed, a coffer, two cabinets, and a door, and rests the cursor in the bedroom below it.  Again, spam ctrl-p.  Finally once everythings in place, I make a similar macro that designates a room from each bed and spam again. 

For finding gainful employment for them all, again, as said before, Dwarf Therapist is great.  I'm really liking a custom job I made in DT that has all hauling labours + masonry on.  The masonry isn't for making furniture (I have skilled masons for that, to do it faster and makes higher quality goods), but for all the outdoor construction/rewalling after digging a giant sunlight shaft/ etc. jobs I do, often with hundreds and hundreds of floor tiles to build at a time.  I set all my mason workshops to only accept "Adequate" or higher skill levels, so the haulers don't waste time trying to craft things, and only my skilled mason's craft things there.  Since constructing walls, floors, etc. doesn't yield experience, the haulers always stay at 0 mason experience (This is also useful as I set all the haulers to Armourer or Weaponsmith labours, and have my forges set up like the mason's workshops, except for one forge set only to accept Dabbling-Dabbling skill level, which makes bolts and caps.  This way when a hauler moods, they make an Artifact weapon or armour if they have no other moodable skill levels).  Masonry is something I never seem to have enough of, on account of all the stone furniture and big towers/floors I make, but with my construction haulers, it goes much, much faster.

My current Fort has 300+ bedrooms and about 50 other rooms, 8,000+ rock pots, 2,000+ barrels, 1,800+ bins and ~~ 2,000 pieces of furniture. You know I might try out using macros next time... lol...

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile

I normally start off with about 20 or so nice 2x2 bedrooms and make more until I'm overwhelmed by the number of migrants or other work. Then I build dorms until I have time to focus on the bedrooms again.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

My current Fort has 300+ bedrooms and about 50 other rooms, 8,000+ rock pots, 2,000+ barrels, 1,800+ bins and ~~ 2,000 pieces of furniture. You know I might try out using macros next time... lol...

Yeah macros are definitely one of those things like DT that seems super complex to use at first, but once you realize that it's pretty simple makes so many things much, much easier.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile

I get too overwhelmed.  :o

You can never get too overwhelmed.

ya you can't but your FPS can
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile

As far as I know, there is no way to directly control the size of migrant waves.

You CAN, however, set your popcap such that you can only get n dwarves, and when you hit it either update your population cap or leave it as such.

Me?  I've moved the popcap from the default 200 to 300 in an effort to get myself a monarch without atomsmashing junk dwarves and potentially provoking a tantrum spiral because they've been doing nothing but socializing.

So far, my FPS can take it...
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: 1 [2]