Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military and training  (Read 2000 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military and training
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:01:03 pm »

I was wondering if there is a reason why not all my dwarves train? I have a squad a five dwarves, but only three of them ever train. The other two just lollygag around the fortress and aren't active military like others (they have civilian icons).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Military and training
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:24:12 pm »

When you set up your squad, did you change the "Train [X minimum]" value?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »

I did, I changed it to a minimum of three. Maybe I just misunderstood how that works?

If I set it to min three and I have five in a squad will only three train?

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:11:25 pm »

I did, I changed it to a minimum of three. Maybe I just misunderstood how that works?

If I set it to min three and I have five in a squad will only three train?

That's what I've observed.  The minimum is also seemingly a maximum.  Best bet generally seems to be to set it to one less than the actual number in the squad, that way one dwarf can rotate out for beer breaks and such while everyone else trains.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:28:07 pm »

Personally, I leave it at 10 to make sure that all of the squad members are training.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Cheet4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:44:01 am »

AFAIR the dwarves go unhappy when they don't get breaks every once in a while.
I set it to 2 - 3 less than the squads member count, works good.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:54 pm »

Same here. I usually set it to 1 less then the squad for squads sizes 3-7ish and then set it to 2 less for squads of 8-10 since with that many dwarves I find they still get the unhappy thoughts while waiting for their turn to leave. Of course if I wanted I could just smooth and engrave the whole barracks, but since that doubles as an entryway for goblin and trolls to slaughter I think I'd probably just end up needing to worry about the engravers and masons that would bug out when their masterpiece work was covered in troll blood and destroyed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:35 pm »

Troll blood ain't magma, it can't destroy engravings. But this is irrelevant as smoothing and engraving the barracks does nothing for dwarf happiness. You want furniture if you want to please them as compensation for eternal training.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »

It helps if I have them sleeping in the barracks! Gets them all of the way up to sleeping in legendary rooms! :P Also trolls tend to be tough on most of the statues that they manage to reach.

And I could have sworn that getting blood on masterwork engravings counted as defacing them but now I can't find anything about it. Hunh ???
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:43:05 pm by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 01:02:12 pm »

Liquids won't destroy engravings.  Muddy ones can be destroyed by trees spawning on them.  You have to stick a construction or paved road to remove floor engravings.  Obsidian also removes them IIRC.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:18:33 pm »

AFAIR the dwarves go unhappy when they don't get breaks every once in a while.
Once they become Elite soldiers ("Great" at their main weapon skill), that doesn't happen anymore.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 01:20:54 pm »

Liquids won't destroy engravings.  Muddy ones can be destroyed by trees spawning on them.  You have to stick a construction or paved road to remove floor engravings.  Obsidian also removes them IIRC.

You would think that after 3 1/2 years of playing this game I would have managed to get rid of wrong notions like that. :P
Guess you learn something new every day.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:07:04 pm »

i was having the same problem ty for da answear
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms