Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 220651 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)
« Reply #3255 on: March 14, 2012, 06:19:40 pm »

Oh don't play coy with me. You have your ambitions and I agree to them, yet you raise questions about Mileth? That place must fall! This is not the question of glory, but a matter of settling the accounts and doing what should have been done long ago! I will attempt to persuade them, like we tried the last time, but I will do it myself, my way. One way or the other, I am going there.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: March 14, 2012, 06:24:28 pm »

"Settling accounts? This isn't about vengeance, Nikephoros, it's about power. We have nothing to gain currently in Mileth - it's a small city, probably too well defended for its value. I am afraid you want to do this only out of spite because they defeated you last spring. I will not allow you to start a war for these reasons only."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: March 14, 2012, 06:31:07 pm »

"Kathos, I am going there. Mileth is not big, but its a part of peninsula. And therefore a part of Ligoria that must be secured. What am I, a militiaman? Only good for hunting bandits?
Please think about our position here. We both work for the good of Ligoria. and so far we did good. I see no reason to stop your proposal, but you see it fit to question me, because of your "grand strategy".
Well, my strategy is to strike while there is an opportunity for it. I will be taking the engineer with me to siege the place. And if you see it fit to further question my plan, well, I might start questioning the idea of a navy."

Nikephoros stood in front of Kathos with crossed arms.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

Kathos stopped smiling. In a second, the tired, overworking Lord Chancellor was gone; another man was now standing next to the table, a dark, hard man, and he looked angry. He who was called the Black Knight in the south spoke, and there was no hesitation in his voice. Only hard and cold determination, the same cold determination that had turned a scared young man into a destroyer of cities, a decade ago.

"Nikephoros, I have lead many wars. I have fought battles, besieged and burned down entire cities, and lead charges against enemies who were three times as numerous as my own forces. I have started many wars, and yet I cannot remember a single one that was for a cause other than vengeance or simple bloodthirst. I have not come in the north to spread devastation and death. I am ambitious, yes, and I look for more power, yes, but this is too far. You sound like a young child trying to prove your worth to the entire world. If the only reasons you can find to invade an entire city and lead thousands to their deaths are that you have accounts to settle and there is a good opportunity, then perhaps you are indeed a militiaman only good for hunting bandits."

He sheated his dagger, which had been previously lying on the table. When he spoke again, his voice was not as hard, but still extremely determined.

"War should never be a question of glory, or vengeance, or simply easy opportunities, Nikephoros. I know that too well. We do not need Mileth - it's only a small farming city, in the middle of the plains, with little land under its power. Let it be."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »

Nikephoros observed the man in front of him. Kathos Thunderblade was trying to get as much out of his position as he could. Little did he realise how unimpressive his displays were.

"Fair enough. I believe Lechem should be left alone then too. Its just a small island in a middle of a sea. Little farmland or natural resources. More so, they did nothing against us.
Now listen: until peninsula is consolidated and our resources grow, navy will wait.
That is why I want Mileth. For power. Taxation. Men and resources. I don't care for a strategic vision that rests on a fantasy of having ships from thin air to invade an island that is right in the middle of a trade route for two big countries. We are too small for this Kathos, and Mileth is something that must be overcome first."

He relaxed.
"As for pride and glory, you clearly deem yourself a great leader, yet you fail to see how small we truly are. Your plans will not work until I finish my job and deliver you resources to work with. Talama needs tending to, once I clear up the roads north and the city be put on a proper development path. The land seized and the money gathered will be needed, as Talama will be unable to fund both an army and a navy."

Nikephoros sat down in one of the chairs.
"You plan on planting the seed, when you are yet to take the oxen and the plough out ot the field. We are simply not ready for this yet. Let me do my bit first, otherwise you will be sorely dissapointed."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:05:29 pm by Ardas »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: March 14, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »

Kathos did not relax one little bit.

"Nikephoros, look at that map. Tell me, what do you see?"

He smiled. It was a cruel and sarcastic smile.

"A coast, O master general. This is the Storm Coast, in case you were not aware of our geopolitical situation. Tell me, how did you plan to secure the power of beautiful Ligoria, without a single ships? You can create mighty armies and have a nation that reaches far inland, but it will take only six ships and as many regiments to strike at the heart of our nation, to pillage Talama and to destroy this great city while you are running on the countryside chasing bandits with the mightiest army east of Galam or leading a siege blindly against a city that you have seen only once and that probably changed while you were absent."

Still, he did not relax. He knew that Nikephoros did not take him seriously - he could see it in his eyes - but that did not slow him down. Nike seemed to have forgotten that his 'partner' was not a scholar or a steward, but a soldier. That soldier's men were everywhere around him in the room. They feared something would happen - most of them had a hand on their sword hilt. Silently, four of them had placed themselves in front of the door, ready to block it if need be, although Kathos had given no order.

"We cannot hope to win wars in this part of the world without a fleet, Nikephoros. A season ago a pirate raided our port and cost us nearly ten ducats. Think about what a military fleet could do to us while you are away winning glory, ressources and additionnal taxes."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:19 pm »

It was a cold winter afternoon when the messenger arrived for William, arriving at his place of residence and appraoching hte guards, requesting a meeting with Willaim himself.

"Afternoon, sirs. Would you be as kind to allow me an audience with your lord?"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: March 14, 2012, 07:31:16 pm »

One of the Guards was obviously sleeping when the messenger arrived, and was poked hard by his silent comrade.

"Huh?...Oh...meeting with William? First person to do that in a while, after William threw the last man out the window...You'll be searched for arms or weapons before entering his lordship's office, if you have any and don't give them up now, you will not get them back. You will also be accompanied by two guardsmen. Do you accept these terms?"
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: March 14, 2012, 07:38:13 pm »

"Well, weren't you in the ciy at that time, oh grand strategist? Weren't you supposed to watch over our territory? Don't blame me for your incompetence. When you fail to defend one port against a single raid by not posting soldiers there, how do you hope to manage the fleet? I hear that we have disgruntled patricians bringing in petitions against us. Why? how did you let this happen?
If you feel that you need ships, then BUILD THEM. Take care of our shipping, protect the coast. do what you must, but wait with Lechem until I come back. "

He streched in his chair, and looked over the room, namely the soldiers at the door. He was too old for such tricks.

"One thing at the time Kathos. I do my bit, and in return you do yours. Prove to me that you are worth it. Because so far, I managed to provide the muscle to get rid of Laythe, brought back money from an expedition and I'm well on my way to secure our georgaphic borders. I sleep in barrack or a tent for most of the time, for godsakes!
As for you, Talama's port has been sacked, citizens are disgruntled, gangs are running freely,yet you play around with your estate and sleep in the palace as if it was your home now!

He stood up.

"Kathos, I am really willing to work with you. But you seem to think that you can tell me how to run my business, while you fail to manage one city. You want to expand, yet you have no resources to do this.  I am sorry if I offended you, but I don't see why should I be lenient in pointing this out if we are to make this country succesful."

He looked at the guards again and then back at Kathos.

"Don't worry, I'm not that crazy. Better tell them to bring someting to eat and drink, because we will be spending some more time here."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:42:10 pm by Ardas »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: March 14, 2012, 07:39:12 pm »

"Alright, sounds fair sirs. Lead the way please.I have something very important that he may want to hear..."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: March 14, 2012, 07:49:51 pm »

After a few searches, mostly by female Crimson Guards with nothing better to do, the messenger is ushered into Williams office.
William seemed to have been sleeping before the man was allowed in, as he still has his feet up on his cluttered desk.
His hair is a bit longer and blonder, but he's the same as he always has been. Which means he's lounging lazily, armed even for being in his own office surrounded by his own men, and has a Blackrose Cigarette between his lips.

The messenger also notices, out of the corner of his eyes, a loaded crossbow stuffed under some papers, which just have some scribbles on them.

William shifts his hat out of his eyes and smiles at the man. Which he might or might not have practiced beforehand.

"What can I do for you, Mister...?"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:01:28 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: March 14, 2012, 07:52:50 pm »

"How did I let that happen? You sorry fool. Since your memory appears to be failing you, let me remind you the exact situation: the raid happened while you were in the city with all of our forces, supposedly managing national security. Your forces did nothing to stop the raid while they had ten times the number of the pirates, and now you dare to accuse me of being responsible? Talama was sacked, and I cannot hire workers to rebuild it because we spent six ducats on regiments, since you were unable to hunt down a band of bandits by yourself! You say I'm responsible of the gangs, while you are the one who deals with city security and justice. A man has been passing around diffamation against us for months in all the inns of the city, and yet not a one of your watchmen and guards and peacekeepers cared to inform me about it."

Kathos was getting more angry by the minute. Nikephoros' way of dealing with the situation did not help, either.

"Arrogant bastard! From the day of the rebellion, when you sent the men away too early and allowed the Queen to escape, to the day when you failed to hunt down bandits while you had five hundred well trained and well equipped soldiers in your ranks, your 'career' was a series of failures and distaters. And now you dare to accuse me of your errors?"

There was fire in his eyes when he stopped talking. He paused for a few seconds, breathing slowly and deeply. When he spoke again, steel had taken the place of the fire.

"Give me one reason to keep this discussion going, Lord Protector. If you cannot find any, then I guess this 'war council' is over."

The guards remained at the door. No one would leave the room until Kathos gave a specific order.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:43 pm »

Nikephors stood the re silently, observing the rage of a powerless man.
"Failure, as you put it Lord Chancellor, would not be in charge of a nation. I won every engagement against De Plume and lost no Ligorian troop. And a reason to keep this war council going: name calling and tantrums aren't going to solve the situation that we have right now. And Laythe is still alive
I left you men to defend the city and to deal with unpleasant situations while i was gone. You seem to disdain be because I am restraining you. Well, how about standing up for yourself, taking on the responsibilites if you see something out of place?"

Nikephoros started to gently massage the bridge of his nose with his left hand.

"Kathos, here is what we will do. I will wait for my man, take the soldiers come information in summer and go take care of bandits and Mileth. Don't worry, I will try talking to them. Hell, that was my idea that you failed to execute.
Take money from spring taxes, take care of city and shore up our defences. Do whatever, fleet, city guard, garrison, repairs. And if you want to be a patriot, use some of your own money, because I gave my last ducat to the army. Once I return, we can plan how to take Lechem."

Nikephoros relaxed and looked at Kathos again.
"Also, don't forget that if we break this up, Laythe will kill us. She is still out there, and only common action will keep us alive."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:18:27 pm by Ardas »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21:49 pm »

"At this point, my name is not important. Just note that it's policy for me to adress the fact that you should not kill the messenger.

Now, onto business. The person I was sent here by was Laythe Ralia. As far as I know she requests your assistance in dealing with the Republic. Any price you have for your assitance may be negotiated at this point."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: March 14, 2012, 08:24:53 pm »

Kathos smiled. It was a real smile, a calm smile. He saw the contempt in Nikephoros' eyes, and he ignored it. He heard the insults, and he ignored them. He had made a decision. He turned towards the guard.

"Go to the cellars. Find me some wine. A red, from our homeland, atleast a few decades old."

The guard returned quickly, with two cups. Kathos placed them on the table, and filled them both. He gave one to Nikephoros.

"Drink. It might be one of the last bottles I have from the Emerald Bay. A real treasure, in my opinion. Wasting it would be a crime."

He sipped some from his own cup, and for a moment he was far away, remembering old times, when the world seemed to be simpler.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220