Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 50360 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 10:01:37 pm »

Looks nice.
Adorned with rings of steel Aluminium and.. uuh.. menaces with blue pearls-like thingies?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:58:51 pm by Ultimuh »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 11:43:14 pm »

Actually, this is an aluminum bracelet, adorned with hanging with rings of blue glass.  Steel is expensive, dammit.

This is a fine collection of pictures of many common weaves, many of which are fairly dwarfy.  I'm particularly fond of dragonscale, because it looks nice and it's a bitch to make, uses some rather tight weaving and funky ring sizes.  And when colored, can make some pretty nice pieces.

I'm also fond of Elfweave Sheet, despite the terrible choice of names.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:54:34 pm by Girlinhat »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 11:59:52 pm »

Actually, this is an aluminum bracelet, adorned with hanging with rings of blue glass.  Steel is expensive, dammit.

This is a fine collection of pictures of many common weaves, many of which are fairly dwarfy.  I'm particularly fond of dragonscale, because it looks nice and it's a bitch to make, uses some rather tight weaving and funky ring sizes.  And when colored, can make some pretty nice pieces.

I'm also fond of Elfweave Sheet, despite the terrible choice of names.

Fixed my post accordingly.
Just saw the pictures and skipped most of the text in the OP.  :P

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 05:36:09 am »

I've done some chainmail jewelry myself, I should put some pictures up!

Particularly I've been working on a sterling silver fine* dragonscale bracelet for ages, I'm only halfway in and it's got over 300 rings in it already!

*2.6mm and 4.4mm ID, 0.7 and 0.8 mm thickness.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:25:16 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 10:44:49 am »

Yeah, dragonscale works up pretty fast.  I want to toy with it, but unsure about the rings I want or the other specifics.  It certainly provides expensive pieces though, with necklaces selling at $80!  That's more than a little bit of money!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 12:34:11 pm »

I worked with 12 in 2 which was a huge bitch, but it did look dwarfy.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »

12 in 2 Euro or Jap?  Japanese seems more likely, and somewhat less difficult as it tends to display the rings politely, compared to European that just sort of jumbles and layers everything.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 01:30:06 pm »

Eruopean
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 01:41:29 pm »

Huge bitch indeed.  10-1 was tough for me, well not really tough but time-consuming.  What size rings?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 01:53:29 pm »

I have nothing to contribute but my utter astonishment at the coolness of your crafts.  (aka: posting to follow :) )

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 04:02:15 pm »

Your astonishment is appreciated =D

Sir E Brum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 07:35:04 am »

But but but aluminum is the most valuable metal right next to candy...

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 10:33:08 am »

Very nice stuff you've got going there, the beads are pretty cool. I myself have been working with 16ga (that sells itself as being 14ga) galvanized steel, so I haven't gotten any fancy complete pieces yet. I have about ten different weaves down, including dragonscale and interwoven 4-1 dragonscale which I hated even more, though it makes for an awesome, thick bracelet that I might just finish anyways, despite the heaviness. It's too awesome. Also, I've only been working with...0.0625 inch diameter (that is 16ga, right?) wire with 0.34375 inch inner diameter rings, making about 5.5 for the AR, because it works nicely with most weaves I found. Oh, besides the ridiculously thin brass wire I found for the dragonscale. Tried making elfweave, gave up after an hour getting nowhere.

My thumb likely hates me now. The nail seems to have a permanent concave arch in it along the edge from bending wire and the skin is torn and tough as crap now. I'm sure it'll get over it. I've gotta say though, making this stuff is perfect for me, as I love putting complex things together and making nice looking things.

But yeah, good luck to you and your business stuff, it seems like it'd be an awesome way to get some cash monies. In fact, once I get nicer wire (probably centuries from now) and get to high master status I'd like to try selling some wherever I am at the time.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'll see if I can get some pictures up and stuff.

MoarEdit: Huzzah! I think I got this image sharing stuff down. Lets see...

Spoiler: Other stuff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: More other stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:19:30 am by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 11:56:23 am »

To be specific, GSG refers to "Great Southern Gathering" which is apparently where the weave was invented/perfected, and is almost identical to Half Persian styles.  I think what you've got there is just... a small piece of HP3-1 :P

I started with galvy too, for cheapness and being available locally.  Fun enough to work with, cheap enough to experiment with.  The gauge actually depends on what gauge.  There's American Wire Gague - AWG, and standard Wire Gauge - SWG and honestly I have no idea what the differences are.  It's also entirely more common to put inch fractions or mm units, like 11/32" instead of saying .34375, although I'm curious how you ended up on that specific ID because that sounds a little obscure.

Regardless, get some saw cut aluminum rings and some toothless pliers.  At Theringlord.com I got two pairs of pliers for $6.05 each, which is their generic brand but they have pliers going up towards $75 I think, and some 18g 1/4" saw cut bright aluminum for $1.70 per ounce, and being that aluminum is very lightweight, that's like 400 rings per ounce, and I figured a E4-1 bracelet for my 7" wrist cost ~65 rings, so you do the math there on how cheaply aluminum pieces can be made.  I also got .5oz of 20g 3/32" saw cut aluminum that cost $7.30 per ounce, but that got me like over a thousand micro rings as well.

Either way, getting some aluminum is very nice, it's cheap, light, doesn't tarnish or rust, and it's strong enough for casual jewelry.  I'm going to order some colored rubber rings and some colored aluminum rings, and make bracelets without clasps that just stretch because of the rubber.  For quality though, swapping to stainless steel or silver, or even niobium can do you a lot of good to increase value and strength.  Remember, a lot of people will buy something expensive for the sake of being expensive.  You can charge quite a bit for precious metals in a good weave.  In fact, underselling yourself is bad for business!  Sure, I could make a bracelet with some 75 rings and that'd cost me like 30 cents or so in aluminum rings, but who's going to buy a bracelet for 50 cents?  Cheap piece of garbage is gonna break as soon as it comes out of the package!  Put the price at $5, or $10?  Now you've got a fairly inexpensive piece of woven metal jewelry!  Plus there's labor.  If it takes you 3 hours to weave a very nice bracelet, and costs $2 in materials, and you charge $10 for the finished piece... then you're paying yourself $2.66 per hour.  Minimum wage here is like $7.50, think about it...

I'm getting distracted though.  Get yourselves some gloves, for real.  I use cheap gardening gloves when I'm coiling wire, but I've seen one person who'd taken welding gloves and stamped an inch long aluminum sheet over the thumb, because he was coiling stainless steel and that will murder your hands.  And I don't know how you're doing it, but the nail shouldn't be touching the wire anyways...

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 02:38:24 pm »

half inch rings. still a bitch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33