Finally... > Creative Projects

Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter

<< < (88/98) > >>

Girlinhat:
...Log benches?  Is that were you put a log on the ground and sit on it?

Otherwise, I got a "woodcarving" knife today that looks a bit low-scale as far as crafting knives go, but it should be solid enough.  I'll see how it goes on some of the spare lumber laying about.

tommy521:

--- Quote from: Girlinhat on April 17, 2012, 09:08:56 pm ---...Log benches?  Is that were you put a log on the ground and sit on it?

--- End quote ---

Eh no, it's a long cedar log chainsaw'd in half, then two shorter logs cut in a V to support it.

Thief^:
I made a few more of the rubber stretchy chains in different widths:

I've also got some higher AR rings to try making euro-6-in-1 and some other patterns with.

Shinotsa:
Well I have no pictures to post of my recent exploit, as it is actually not all that exciting. What was exciting was that I had an epiphany the other week involving making chains.

I am the bane of anything on my key chain. I have snapped an actual key in half in the lock of my car door, I have broken the connector for my key chain turtle, and I have mutilated the chain that fixed my 3' measuring tape (useful for situations when I'm working at Habitat for Humanity or helping my father build something) to the key ring. Those little reward cards for grocery stores have ripped right off of it, and my flash drive is now a shell of its former self; the cotraption that connected it to the key ring has been mutilated beyond recognition and now hangs separate from the actual drive which is now stuck on the ring, plastic bulging grotesquely as it tries to rip away from it. My realization came when I looked at the sorry state of the key ring and realized that all of these problems (except for the snapping of the key) could have been solved by simply making a chain that was both sturdier and more aesthetically pleasing than the ones that came with each little gizmo, and then attaching the bright(?) aluminum chains with a sturdy, higher ID steel ring.

So far I have a byzantine chain only a few repeatable units long on the measuring tape for testing and it seems to be working great. Despite being a weaker metal and suffering from extensive use (I generally just grab the first thing in my pocket and yank the keys out, which is obviously the cause of all of the trouble I have with the gizmos on the key ring) there seems to be no deformation in the rings and it still looks great. After exams I'm going to make chains for just about everything that can have them since they look great, are relatively quick to make, and make my life easier by making me not have to replace stuff every few months.

Note: I have no clue if this is actually bright aluminum since I buy my own wire from local stores and make my own rings. This is 19ga from home depot purely because it's a cheap, soft, and easy to acquire metal that looks pretty good. It's shines quite well as it is and only leaves a black residue at the joints where it is cut, but generally after handleing there isn't any residue at all.

Anyhow, has anyone else actually gone through with projects and found some practical uses for their work? Besides making money of course.

Farmerbob:

--- Quote from: Shinotsa on April 29, 2012, 01:59:00 pm ---<snip a lot>

Anyhow, has anyone else actually gone through with projects and found some practical uses for their work? Besides making money of course.

--- End quote ---

Blasphemy!  Lol.  Practical uses defy the will of !science!

If I lived 500 years ago the chain I was building would be good for armor.  It stopped modern arrows in a 60 lb bow at 20 feet, it would likely stop or deflect anything but a direct hit from a musket or english longbow or crossbow.  Of course, 500 years ago, getting 5/16" lockwashers would not have been very possible.  I could see some very niche uses for heavy chain though - for working in the crabbing / fishing / butchering industries, but they typically use heavy wire weave or cut/pierce resistant nonmetallics - not heavy chain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version