Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 50366 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #480 on: July 28, 2012, 06:53:47 pm »

I've greatly realized that chainmail is one important thing.  It's time-consuming.  Making a bracelet for yourself is fun.  Making 20 bracelets to wholesale to a store is mind-numbing.  As with any other type of art or manual labor, the market never gets flooded simply because people will realize how much effort it takes to produce notable quantities.  Just because you can paint, doesn't mean you want to make a living off it.

If I were selling items through the store, I'd probably give the store owners a cut or make the customer pay for it through the register.  I'm not doing this to make a living off of, I'm doing it for fun and enough cash to have fun with.  I'll sacrifice a bit of profit if it means keeping good business terms with buyers.

If anything though, I'd probably sell different items out of hand than what I supply to the store.  Since the store would be taking dicebags, then I'd be selling bracelets, keychain fobs, earrings, and stuff like that.  Though custom or odd-make dicebags I'd sell out of hand, since those likely wouldn't be stocked by the store.

Gonna spend some time mailing, any suggestions on dicebag make, color, or size that I should work on?  I think my basic size will be "large enough to fit a coke can" but I don't know how many dice the average gamer has.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 29, 2012, 08:20:55 pm »

Gonna spend some time mailing, any suggestions on dicebag make, color, or size that I should work on?  I think my basic size will be "large enough to fit a coke can" but I don't know how many dice the average gamer has.

I would suggest "Large enough for a bottle of Crown Royale" if I were still in the market for dice bags :)

However, the size of a 12 oz soda can would probably be enough.

I'd make several sizes.  Unless you are making strange patterns, and then see what sells.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #482 on: July 30, 2012, 05:44:13 am »

I would suggest "Large enough for a bottle of Crown Royale" if I were still in the market for dice bags :)
Yeah. Many gamers have dice enough to fill a bag about this size. Smaller bags may be fine for people with only a few sets of dice though.

Rgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELIGION: JEWISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 05, 2012, 08:47:41 pm »

Yeah. Many gamers have dice enough to fill a bag about this size. Smaller bags may be fine for people with only a few sets of dice though.

Agreed, and offer custom orders for smaller/larger bags. One person I know would need a bag a bit larger, as he routinely gets dice at GenCon, and he goes most years.
Rgamer likes dwarves for their industriousness. He dislikes small dogs for their annoying barking, enjoys a good run, and prefers to consume steak, potatoes, or apples whenever possible. He likes native silver, granite, marble, and ebony.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 05, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »

Hrm, perhaps create a modular bag system where there are larger side rings built in to allow the bags to connect to each other, that way any time someone needs a bigger bag for dice, or a different container for special dice, they just buy another bag and connect it to the existing "bag collective"
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #485 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:46 am »

Hrm, perhaps create a modular bag system where there are larger side rings built in to allow the bags to connect to each other, that way any time someone needs a bigger bag for dice, or a different container for special dice, they just buy another bag and connect it to the existing "bag collective"
If you make enough of them, can you connect to bagspace? (KODT woo)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 06, 2012, 07:37:19 pm »

How often do you need to upgrade your bags, really?  I would think you don't expand frequently enough to need modular bag extensions.

Although being a crafter, I could extend a bag with some effort.  So I might offer a discount if someone comes in with a square bag and wants it to be larger.  That would be the easy part of adding more sheet to the existing sheet.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 06, 2012, 09:55:13 pm »

How often do you need to upgrade your bags, really?  I would think you don't expand frequently enough to need modular bag extensions.

Although being a crafter, I could extend a bag with some effort.  So I might offer a discount if someone comes in with a square bag and wants it to be larger.  That would be the easy part of adding more sheet to the existing sheet.

Probably a good idea to see the size of the bags of dice being hauled around at conventions these days.  Back in the late 1980's I knew people who used gallon+ sized containers of dice.  And had a great deal of fun actually finding the dice they wanted at times.

If people don't collect dice so much any more, then just make simple small bags :)  A walk around the gaming floor at a local gaming convention or weekend gaming store should be enough to judge a basic market need.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]